NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

gdphk: 470 vs 5870 at 1920x1200 4x AA 16x AF of Unigine.

【独家测试】GTX 4X0 kicked 5870's A*s, DX11 Tessellation Performance
http://bbs.expreview.com/thread-27747-1-1.html

100305215901db1cdfef0d34ea.jpg

10030521585c1936be60baceff.jpg

I don't get how 2 fps in a tesselation benchmark means kicked someone's @$$....

What drivers were the 5870 run on as well?

Isnt there something wrong with those screens? I mean, in some places there does not seem to be tesselation. For example, the chimney in the bottom right corner. Its not really round, is it? Its same like round objects everywhere else, with lines.

Isnt there something wrong with those screens? I mean, in some places there does not seem to be tesselation. For example, the chimney in the bottom right corner. Its not really round, is it? Its same like round objects everywhere else, with lines.
Not everything is tessellated.

Jawed

7.75% improvement with clearly broken tessellation on the roof tiles and chimney.
That's not terribly exciting. Hopefully BS.

7.75% improvement with clearly broken tessellation on the roof tiles and chimney.
That's not terribly exciting. Hopefully BS.

Exactly. Tesselation seems broken. Im sure ive seen that chimney round before. What a huge disappointment really (coming from a nVIDIA fan (not fanboy :p))

I corrected myself by 4870 vs GTX260 is back I'm afraid...470 is a bit slower than 5870 but still close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks correct to me. The texture map is simply being stretched. You can clearly see the stretch marks on the big stone blocks, and the tiles have the same stretchy thing going on.

Jawed

Looks correct to me. The texture map is simply being stretched. You can clearly see the stretch marks on the big stone blocks, and the tiles have the same stretchy thing going on.

Jawed

Having run this bench quite a few times the tiles don't look tessellated to me, but I don't know that angle so I'll assume you're right. I'll run it tonight when I get home just to verify.

Still 7.4-7.75% bump where nV was saying 30%?

Having run this bench quite a few times the tiles don't look tessellated to me, but I don't know that angle so I'll assume you're right. I'll run it tonight when I get home just to verify.

For the GTX 480, not GTX 470...

I don't know what NVidia was saying, but GTX470 with, apparently, considerably less bandwidth than HD5870, is faster.

A comparison with HD5850 seems better as both seem likely to have the same bandwidth. Here GTX470 is about 32% faster (29 versus 22 fps).

Jawed

So the Unigine benches look legit, which brings us to that rumor of a while back, concerning the GTX 470's price of $299. If it is true, then it's not that bad, although from a performance perspective, it seems to be poised for disappointment (still waiting for actual game benches with proper drivers to confirm that).

Back