NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Starting to remind me of X1800 XT versus 7800 GTX with 7900 launching soon after X1800 XT. Would have been competitive if it had launched when it was supposed to (Win7 launch), but compared to a refresh product, may or may not look good. 6 months after the competition, even X1800 XT wasn't that late.

That Guru3D editorial was interesting.

Regards,
SB

5 month is not really soon. :LOL:

Starting to remind me of X1800 XT versus 7800 GTX with 7900 launching soon after X1800 XT. Would have been competitive if it had launched when it was supposed to (Win7 launch), but compared to a refresh product, may or may not look good. Over 6 months (Sept. 10 -> Mar. 26) after the competition, even X1800 XT wasn't that late.

Regards,
SB

It was also linked earlier in the thread.

Seems Hilbert has had his cage rattled by Charlie.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/nvidia-geforce-470-480/

I don't understand this part

What I will tell you is that the clock frequencies on these boards surprised me, the GeForce 470 seems to be clocked at roughly 650 MHz, that's lower than I expected. And that indeed will have an effect on performance. I think it's safe to that the GeForce 470 and 480 will be worthy competitors towards the Radeon HD 5850 and 5870. Will it be a knock-out ? I doubt it very much. But is it important for NVIDIA to deliver a knockout to the competition ? Well they would hope so, but no .. not really, as the current performance levels that ATI for example offers simply are superb already. Being six months late to the market does pose an issue, ATI will already be respinning and binning their upcoming products, clocked higher and they could match NVIDIA in either price or performance.

It reads that the 470/480 will be worthy (on par ) with current ati features but ati will need a respind and binning of new products clocked higher to match nvidia in either price or performance.

Doesn't make sense at all to me.

the way that should read is that if the 470/480 are on par with ati , then ati can release faster products that are no longer on par with the geforce products.

Not only that but it seems to me that ati has some gaping holes in thier pricing structure and i really do believe that both the 5850 and 5870 can drop in price drasticy if needed.

If yields are even half as bad as many claim and performance is only on par with ati's 6 month old products I don't see a sunny side for nvidia because it should allow ati to refresh their line up and price drop accordingly to leap over nvidia again.

A faster 5870 dubbed a 5890 or even one with more shader cores introduced to an already competitive market can really change the game and one again give ati a lead.

Not only that but it seems to me that ati has some gaping holes in thier pricing structure and i really do believe that both the 5850 and 5870 can drop in price drasticy if needed.
I'm thinking the same thing, I can't believe the prices have stayed as high as they have as long as they have.

I'm thinking the same thing, I can't believe the prices have stayed as high as they have as long as they have.

Yup , I"m thinking if the 470/480 prove to be faster than the 5850/70 then you will see them drop 5830 $200 , 5850 $250 , 5870 $325-350 and they can put a 5890 at $450 depending on performance. The 5970 can stay at $600.

And if the prices floating around for the 470/480 are true msrp prices this wouldreally cut into nvidia as even if the gtx 480 is 20-30% faster than the 5870 at $300 or so more it wouldn't make any sense to buy the geforce product. Even a 470 at the same speed at as a 5870 wouldn't make sense at $100 or more over the cost of the 5870

Anyway I hopeprices come downdue to a price war. I really want a 5850 for $200ish.

Starting to remind me of X1800 XT versus 7800 GTX with 7900 launching soon after X1800 XT. Would have been competitive if it had launched when it was supposed to (Win7 launch), but compared to a refresh product, may or may not look good. Over 6 months (Sept. 10 -> Mar. 26) after the competition, even X1800 XT wasn't that late.

Regards,
SB

7900 series actually launched two months after the x1900 series was launched.

What's interesting is that 7900 GTX which was a solid competitor to to x1900 XT during it's time, gets absolutely pasted in more modern games like COD IV and Assassin's Creed.

Yeah, looks like not a lot of other people went to the time of translating the page and trying to read it.

No.. they added that part AFTER I made my comment about the 50% on the article... And took a screenshot of the then current page:
gtx480fake.png

My bad Psycho, it was written as I posted it when I first saw it. :oops:

Sort of a cheesy, "I'm busted!", to add it after the fact without annotation. :(

Well prices rose for a while due to the lack of boards, I can easily understand why prices stayed so high, because demand was high and not enough stock. The 5850 and 5870 were a good improvement on previous Ati gen, the performance was a good increase and it gave you DX11 etc, so was tempting for the punters.

I know Dave won't admit it but I bet they still regret the fab couldn't supply them enough chips because of the problems with 40nm. I would. They could have made a lot more hay while the sun wasn't shining for nvidia. I don't often feel sorry of Ati or nvidia but in this case I do.

Hopefully they will have a smoother ride with 28nm?? Northern Islands in 2H10.

Im speechless! Luckily Beyond3d is all about typing. Has Nivida learned the art of the 'list' from Sony? :D I can see certain similarities between the two.

Back