NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Hey thanks guys for the leaks it is really interesting. Cant wait for my graphic card uppgrade which will be the card with best/most practical features, perfomance and usability. :)

Just because they will still exist is not a valid excuse for inaction. Remove them, then don't worry if they still exist it isn't your responsibility anymore.

Hey, thanks for all the mirrored leaks! I missed the first round and would have felt terribly left out if not for y'alls graciousness.

Big thanks, appreciated! :D

Some FC2 numbers from a slightly overclocked Core i7-920 setup with a stock Radeon HD 5870 board, tested with the same benchmark settings as seen from the video leak:

Average Framerate - 73.92 vs. 84.18, Fermi wins by 12.2%
Maximum Framerate - 111.01 vs. 125.84, Fermi wins by 12.8%
Minimum Framerate - 54.55 vs. 65.21, Fermi wins by 16.4%

This is disappointing, so I hope the card was a GTX360. Granted, its early drivers, but I don't expect its a 5870 Fermi is going up against, so it needs some headroom. The Crysis numbers looked much sweeter, so I hope we'll see some more of that.:)

This is disappointing, so I hope the card was a GTX360. Granted, its early drivers, but I don't expect its a 5870 Fermi is going up against, so it needs some headroom. The Crysis numbers looked much sweeter, so I hope we'll see some more of that.:)

I wouldn't call 1.6x on pre-release HW/drivers disappointing, it's pretty good for a card with a much lower TFLOP rating, which could also indicate Fermi's efficiency is pretty good. (think about it, 3200 ALUs vs 512) And that may translate into even larger wins on more complex work loads in future titles.

I wouldn't call 1.6x on pre-release HW/drivers disappointing, it's pretty good for a card with a much lower TFLOP rating, which could also indicate Fermi's efficiency is pretty good. (think about it, 3200 ALUs vs 512) And that may translate into even larger wins on more complex work loads in future titles.

How did you translate the numbers I was quoting to 1.6x?

The other card on the video was probably a GTX285. So the numbers would look like:

GTX285 vs GTX 380
38 min 65
50 avg 84
72 max 125

Quiet impressive when there is still 2 months driver work to do.

The full leak contains benchmarks for Crysis Warhead which show 1.6x.

As I said, Crysis numbers looked sweet. :)
But, I thought that those were unconfirmed numbers from a Chinese page? They did predict 1.2X, but then again, so did Fudzilla.

The numbers I was quoting was from Fellix and his 5870:

Average Framerate - 73.92 vs. 84.18, Fermi wins by 12.2%
Maximum Framerate - 111.01 vs. 125.84, Fermi wins by 12.8%
Minimum Framerate - 54.55 vs. 65.21, Fermi wins by 16.4%

I don't find those impressive, considering this is a bench picked by Nvidia and Fermi is most likely not going up against a 5870, since Fermi arrives so late in the game. I would have preferred some headroom. If Fermi is not competative, it won't have as much positive effect for consumers wether you buy an ATI card or a Nvidia card. I do hope that this is the GTX360 though. :)

The other card on the video was probably a GTX285. So the numbers would look like:

GTX285 vs GTX 380
38 min 65
50 avg 84
72 max 125

Quiet impressive when there is still 2 months driver work to do.
Unless it's really the lesser 360 model, in which case it bodes even better. But those numbers are different from the ones felix posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcXmV5Je_gc
The numbers are from this leaked video.
Right, but that's not what Tamlin was referring to. He was talking about the numbers felix posted.

Again the only numbers we have are those of the GTX 360 according to a few people. So if you take those numbers and compare them to random 5870 results (as felix did), you're not really doing a fair comparison. So I'm willing to give NVIDIA the benefit of a doubt, although I really wonder why they decided not to demonstrate a fully-unlocked GF100 chip.

Why would nvidia show off the slower part (360)?
Only reason to believe it's the 360 is that the FC2 advantage somehow alligns with that chinese post (although it doesn't really with felix's 5870 numbers) . At least it's a problem both using the video to add credibility to the post AND use the post to say the video is from a 360... :)

Some FC2 numbers from a slightly overclocked Core i7-920 setup with a stock Radeon HD 5870 board, tested with the same benchmark settings as seen from the video leak:

As others have said, would be nice to know the CPU speeds, I just ran it on my setup with those settings and came up with 68 FPS, I'm using a C2Q Q9550 running at 3.2 GHZ and I clocked my 5870 to stock speeds, so the scores seems fairly CPU-dependant. What clock speed is "slightly overclocked" exactly? :smile:

Edit: Hmm I don't think I have the latest driver either...

Edit2: Installed Cat 9.12, about the same, gained half a frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would nvidia show off the slower part (360)?
Only reason to believe it's the 360 is that the FC2 advantage somehow alligns with that chinese post (although it doesn't really with felix's 5870 numbers) . At least it's a problem both using the video to add credibility to the post AND use the post to say the video is from a 360... :)

Well for one, if their salvage part is faster than Cypress, nothing bodes better for them. Second, since the release is still aligned for March, they may not want to show what their "best" card can do and leave AMD still not knowing what they need to counter, in terms of performance.

As for felix's numbers, they were done in conditions that we can't compare with these Fermi benchmarks, simply because we don't know the extra hardware involved. So let's wait and see for some benchmarks where the all the conditions are known.

Back