NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

That demo was running on 15 current generation NVIDIA GPUs.

The fact that they would choose this event to unveil it, however, is very telling, isn't it ?

Technically, that's a GPGPU application aswell. Doesn't use the DX11/OpenGL rasterizing pipeline.

That's why i specifically avoided mentioning either DX11 or OpenGL in that post, and referred to it as being "graphics" related. ;)

The one he held in his hand? Well it wasn't plugged into anything so it doesn't matter if it was a working card or not. Probably the latter though, don't think they'll risk taking one of their 7 working chips to the show :LOL:

seen reports that GF100 cards demonstrated by Jen Hsun were fake?

Yes, it was fake. The card has cut off PCB from some GT2xx-series card, and no exhaust on the upper half even though the backplate has "grid" for it.
You can verify that it's the same card from for example the pics where Jen-Hsun holds the card and PCIE powerplugs are visible (6pin at back, 8pin at side), while the PCB only has 8pin solder spots, which in completely wrong place compared to the physical connector on the mock-up card, and 2 of the 6pin's solder points, 4 of them are gone due cutting the PCB short

seen reports that GF100 cards demonstrated by Jen Hsun were fake?
Position of power-connectors doesn't correspond to PCB layout. The model is based on some longer PCB, which was cut-off to be as long, as the cooler :D

...recalling the old 3Dfx models of Voodoo 4 (based on Voodoo 3, covered by new sticker) and Voodoo 5 (PCB without any traces, parts were only glued-on):

6000pre.jpg

Maybe the "3Dfx model developer" works for nVidia now :smile:

Position of power-connectors doesn't correspond to PCB layout. The model is based on some longer PCB, which was cut-off to be as long, as the cooler :D

...recalling the old 3Dfx models of Voodoo 4 (based on Voodoo 3, covered by new sticker) and Voodoo 5 (PCB without any traces, parts were only glued-on):

Maybe the "3Dfx model developer" works for nVidia now :smile:

I'd rather bet Quantum3D than anything else. OT by the way this isn't a 3dfx nostalgia thread.

Fixed that for you :)

I was a bit surprised that even a site like [H]ard|OCP wrote his first name as "Jensen".

that is what everyone calls him :p

Of course, Jensen "believes" .. or he would not be taking his company into a new direction. Gaming will be important but they are opening up the GPU as a "general" processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r17UOMZJbGs&hd=1
Fluid demo shown at the keynote with double the particles, this one has 128k, the demo running on background had 64k and was reportedly running on GT2xx-series card
Nice! They've definitely beefed up the rendering since I last saw the demo. Hopefully the new and improved version will be available (with source!) publicly soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back