Nazi Moderators on this site.

You don't get to verbally rape his sister and rhetorically commit genocide against his nation just because you're "right" on the merits of an intellectual discussion and he's wrong. It doesn't work that way.

I think that's the most brilliant quote I've ever read. I can only wonder what load of venomous horseshit you were spewing at your opponent in order to illicit that response.

This thread is all kinds of awesome.

Thanks OP!

Wow, talk about unexpected flashbacks...

Long held grudge is looong held! :oops:
I actually reimaged my laptop Monday night, and have been methodically restoring files ever since from various backups. Just four hours ago I came across an old Microsoft One Note 2003 document repository / binder / whatever they call it, and in there was that quote. I found it quite humorous, and then an hour ago I found this thread and laughed.

I have now deleted that file, so it can finally rest ;) It's oddly funny though -- he posts that quote, and the forum dies. However many months / years later, I find it again right when someone is bitching about the admins.

I quite like our admin staff actually, and for the OP, I say just GTFO. Forums aren't a democracy, and I'm of the mind that if you don't like it, you just get out. I've left quite a few forums because of Nazi moderators, and I've really yet to find a consistent "vein" of nazi-ism in this staff. I think pretty much every edit / delete / thread cleanup I've ever seen (and occasionally, been part of) is pretty much warranted if looked at as a whole.

No, IMO due to the moderation B3D forum (in whole!) is one of the most pleasant experiences of its kind.

+1000. Other places, especially something like GAF are just
2gy545c.jpg
... :cool:

This place is an oasis that the mods do a good job of stopping people from pissing in.

And the moderation team could live without people just ignoring their guidance. If you have any specific instances you'd like to talk about, my email address is freely available, and you're welcome to send a PM (or do it here). Takes two to tango :smile:

Well duh! If everyone actually read and followed the rules, would we need to keep reminding people?! Those bolded remarks are us not being Nazis. Nazism would be us shooting you lot for not following the rules (and rewarding those who shop you in :devilish:).

"Free speech" exists in a zillion forums out there. "Managed discussion" is much harder to find. You have a free choice which you prefer. And the mods are open to changing decisions if approached sensibly and civily and a decent, rational argument given rather than "me no likey".

A small sentence "stay ontopic", even if bolded, would be much better without being so annoying.

The way you give warnings now looks like... a speech! I don't want to think about it. So much written and BOLDED! what happened? the president died? just say "stay ontopic".

Whenever I see stay on (whatever) I always think of Gold Five and instantly have off topic thoughts.

A small sentence "stay ontopic", even if bolded, would be much better without being so annoying.

The way you give warnings now looks like... a speech! I don't want to think about it. So much written and BOLDED! what happened? the president died? just say "stay ontopic".

There's a reason why we handle it that way. Because 90% of the time that small sentence gets ignored. Often deliberately ("I know this is off-topic but..."). I know it might be an inconvenience, but it gets people's attention.

To add to what Stefan said, "stay ontopic" is what's expected in a forum. If people need a reminder every other page to stay on topic, they're doing it wrong.

More verbose guidance is exactly so we focus on the specific problems of the thread, rather than reafirming something everyone ought to know and follow already.

You'd be better off PM'ing willardjuice to suggest an alternative solution. OT pretty much means not following the title's description, even if the content is related. We'll afford some leeway but sooner or later have to make a call that people are in a deep discussion that isn't meant for this thread. If your argument makes sense, willardjuice may turn...Jewish (opposite of Nazi??), and spawn out the OT into a new thread.

I was more asking why that conversation was considered off-topic in the first place. Post #10 in the thread has a direct quote from Huddy discussing the exact issue so what is the topic of the thread if not the interview questions themselves - Huddy's charming personality?

I'll check with willard though. Thanks.

In an effort to be transparent, here's my response.:p

It is off-topic because the argument (as it always does with PhysX) deteriorated into "Show me a game that uses the CPU more efficiently than PhysX".

It's a rather pointless argument that we have had plenty of times already. Ready for the script?

1. Some users (who are against PhysX) offer up possible examples (in this case, Ghostbusters and Forced Unleashed) that they consider more efficient than PhysX.

2. Then other users (who are for PhysX) say "meh not good enough examples".

3. Users argue over the validity of those examples.

4. Repeat steps 1-3

I think Huddy's argument shot a little higher than that. :p

To be fair though, I said starting a new thread would have been acceptable if you truly felt that kind of discussion needed to continue. I'm pretty understanding though, if another moderator feels I've become "too Nazi", I will allow the discussion to continue in the Huddy thread.

And as I responded to willard via PM I propose that mods shouldn't feel compelled to intervene in a thread because they're "bored" with the discussion. Especially not a mod who was engaging in the same conversation himself. Achieving consensus isn't a goal and doesn't factor into whether posts are on-topic or not. As long as the discussion is civil and on-topic anyone who is bored with the exchange should feel free to stop reading the thread, mods included.

...if another moderator feels I've become "too Nazi".
Too Nazi? Is it possible to have moderate Nazism?

And as I responded to willard via PM I propose that mods shouldn't feel compelled to intervene in a thread because they're "bored" with the discussion.
The moderation remit actually covers keeping discussions organised and preventing repetitious debates when there is already (or should be created specifically for the purpose) a thread on common threads of discussion. If there isn't a PhysX thread to discuss it's value when it's frequently raised, there should be.

I think we're awaiting an update to the forum FAQ to integrate some changes that make this clearer.

Back