Son of a bit**!

ninja gaiden......

OH GOD! The law of bottomless pit gravitation as it relates to ninja's and eagles...

I lost many many a controller to that law. I swear, When I played that (when I was like 13) - I invented new cuss words and strings of them - I sounded like cartman: "Sh** B**l licking A**-tard B** F**ing Barbara Streisand!!!"

In recent times - few things have generated as much rage "divorce mode" (i.e. multiplayer) New Super Mario Brothers with the wife when she grabs two helicopter-shrooms in a row and I'm stuck in midget mode...

Jack

Mine was Halo3, in combination with a 2007-built xbox 360.

The game would freeze, and did freeze. Of course, without saving a checkpoint or something, so I was sent back 1 or 2 hours every time..
Man did this piss me off..

Started to play Dragons Age...10 hours in, and did some save data mismanagment and somehow I had to kill my party member Wynne, which was my best help, and now I really hate this game, because I cannot beat the next boss without her and I really don't want to start all over again (because the game really pics up slowly...), switched currently to Botherlands but I have to try it again...if I cannot beat the boss and have to start all over again: this would be the first game I officially hate (because it allows dumb players to completely screw up) :devilish:

Zelda: Spirit tracks

The guy who did the programming on the whole music tunes in the dungeons should be put against the wall. The system in every way just does not work. First of all you can play the melodie perfect in practise but when you try it for real the game will always say its wrong or you play different notes. Also it is not clear when you should start playing. The game gives you about 3 hints (your music bar flashes, guy start looking at you, his tune stops) and none of them are actually the correct ones.

Its a total shitjob only made to piss you off and beat the shit out of the fucker who designed it.

(written after trying for 30 minutes passing the snow dungeon steem song, getting a perfect every time on practise but a out of tune on every real performance, doing the exact same fucking thing)

What gets me heated was playing against cheaters in Halo 2 and 3 mp on xbox live who have to hack/mod to win because they lack the skill to play fairly...I have gotten very close to breaking my xbox 360 controller for that reason but luckily I keep my cool and don't do something dumb like that.Im a guy who loves competiting in a fair manner win or lose but when getting cheated on, that really destroys the reason to play competitive multiplayer gaming..

In Halo 2, standbying got so bad that I quit Halo 2 mp for about 6 months because the cheating was that horrible.It sucks when your team is up by 20 kills only for the punk in the other team to unplug his modem and have your team be walking into walls being completely defenseless while the other team gets plenty of cheating kills to comeback and win the game.....

Use the report button on Xbox Live when this happens. I am all for the ban hammer for these @ss clowns when they ruin the experience like that.

BFBC on x360. . . .

I just cant shoot anything. I used grenade launcher and still miss. Gamepad thrown at wall, the battery cover pop out.

Luckily the gamepad still working.

Then on star ocean 4 disc 3 the very long last boss (5 boss in a row no savepoint), got suddent electricity blackout.

That really frustating. But there more. After electricity back on. My damn xbox got rrod again. Wasted 1hour to revive it back.
Guh! And back killing that damn 5 boss again. Only to get weird ending . . .

Duh!

Why's everybody having trouble with the songs in Spirit Tracks? I played the Snow Temple song with the music turned off on my DS and got it right on my second try.

Try Ghost and Goblins for a real pain in the ass. You think you've finally beat the game, only to find out you need a special weapon (that SUCKS) to beat the last boss, so the game sends you back to level 1.

A recent game would be GOW collection.

I gave away my PS3 before I had the chance to play any of the GOW games and didn't feel like buying the PS2 versions to play on my PS3. Once I found out that it was released for the PS3 I jumped at the chance to play!

GOW 1, timed event. Spikes emerge from the floor and you have limited time to push a block into another room so you can jump on it and up to the next level! I gave up, every other obsticle was easy for me and the platforming up to that point was fun. I don't know how much further I had to finish the game but I know it wasnt very much farther. My biggest gripe about the game was the controls, R1 was only used to grab items/objects so why not give them larger zones? GOWII was much easier but still I think had control problems.

OLD - Ninja Gaiden

I was a FOOL, I could do things in that game that defied physics and made half of my friends question their ability to call themselves a gamer. I could plow through all the levels in the game, all the eagles, ledges and everything..but the last boss I was never able to defeat! No matter how hard I tried I couldn't bring that f98ker down! After weeks and countless hours poured into getting to the final boss multiple times and not being able to beat him I took a hammer and broke the game in front of my parents. I was able to clear levels with one star flying around me, jumping ledges and dodging attacks without using any other stars.

The game has still defeated me, not long after I broke the game I purchased a Game Genie and had a friends copy of the game. That was the last time I played the game and turned it off at the last level, I didn't want to beat the boss that way. NG2 was easy in comparison.

OLD - Ninja Gaiden

I was a FOOL, I could do things in that game that defied physics and made half of my friends question their ability to call themselves a gamer. I could plow through all the levels in the game, all the eagles, ledges and everything..but the last boss I was never able to defeat! No matter how hard I tried I couldn't bring that f98ker down! After weeks and countless hours poured into getting to the final boss multiple times and not being able to beat him I took a hammer and broke the game in front of my parents. I was able to clear levels with one star flying around me, jumping ledges and dodging attacks without using any other stars.

The game has still defeated me, not long after I broke the game I purchased a Game Genie and had a friends copy of the game. That was the last time I played the game and turned it off at the last level, I didn't want to beat the boss that way. NG2 was easy in comparison.

Are you talking about the battle against Murai? I played it on normal and beat him on my first try HAHAHA!

:)

Some of the other bosses were much harder imo.

A recent game would be GOW collection.

I gave away my PS3 before I had the chance to play any of the GOW games and didn't feel like buying the PS2 versions to play on my PS3. Once I found out that it was released for the PS3 I jumped at the chance to play!

GOW 1, timed event. Spikes emerge from the floor and you have limited time to push a block into another room so you can jump on it and up to the next level! I gave up, every other obsticle was easy for me and the platforming up to that point was fun. I don't know how much further I had to finish the game but I know it wasnt very much farther. My biggest gripe about the game was the controls, R1 was only used to grab items/objects so why not give them larger zones? GOWII was much easier but still I think had control problems.

Yep - that's one's a bear until you realize that you don't have to have the block all the way against the wall to make the jump. You just have to get it in that room and then slightly to the right (looking down from the hall) and then jump up to the ledge with a double-jump. Stick with it though - you still have some game left and it's pretty amazing in conclusion - totally worth it

OLD - Ninja Gaiden

[/quote]

Oh dear god - you know that encounter wouldn't have been as bad (the Jacquio) without having to fight the father and the clown-nosed statue first...it's the three bosses in succession that racks your nerves.
I don't think NG gets nearly enough credit as the hardest game ever...but it should. Oh yeah, you have stupidly hard games like Demon's Soul - but nothing as just "PURE HARD" as ninja gaiden was back in the day!

Jack

A slight typo, I gave away my PS2 before I had the chance to play GOW, then of course the GOW collection was available on the PS3 so I bought that.

It's been so long since I played Ninja Gaiden that I all I remember is the clown nose boss because he is the one I encountered the most. Either way I never made it to the end of the game.

A lot of people would put Mike Tyson Punchout on the list as a hard game, mainly because of the end fight with Tyson himself. I personally found Sandman harder then Tyson.

Another recent game would be GH:3, it's not that recent; but considering I still cant beat Dragon Force on Hard let alone expert makes me want to smash my plastic guitar all over the place.

No, I don't think so. I am not so great in Ninja Gaiden, DMC kind of action games. Could barely complete DMC4 but I completed Demon's Souls (since you can always level up). If you're tired, most of the bosses can be killed from far without getting your hands dirty. So you can pace yourself (You don't have to grind if you don't want to). The journey to the bosses is half the game, and fighting the small guys -- especially the skeleton warriors -- are rather fun.

The key in DS is to be patient and observant. Once you understand their moves, it's easier to counter your enemies. Even the booby traps (holes, mechanical arrow trap) are there in plain sight if you pay enough attention.

The second thing is to use the right tools. Don't be afraid to experiment or ask around for advices.

You don't need extraordinary gaming talent, or timing luck to complete the game. You do need a lot of luck to craft some high level weapons (if you're a weapon or Trophy collector). You can summon up to 2 other players to co-op in the campaign too.

Yep - that's one's a bear until you realize that you don't have to have the block all the way against the wall to make the jump. You just have to get it in that room and then slightly to the right (looking down from the hall) and then jump up to the ledge with a double-jump. Stick with it though - you still have some game left and it's pretty amazing in conclusion - totally worth it

Oh dear god - you know that encounter wouldn't have been as bad (the Jacquio) without having to fight the father and the clown-nosed statue first...it's the three bosses in succession that racks your nerves.
I don't think NG gets nearly enough credit as the hardest game ever...but it should. Oh yeah, you have stupidly hard games like Demon's Soul - but nothing as just "PURE HARD" as ninja gaiden was back in the day!

Jack

I find game difficulty falls within 3 situations.

1st. Control Based - Meaning a series of button presses that have to be completed in a sequence to clear a particular level or area. Sometimes the controls where accurate enough and you just needed to learn better timing, other times the controls WHERE the difficulty because they where so poor it made progressing difficult. QTE's would be considered "Control Based" as well as combo's, aiming, dodging, jumping etc etc. If you soley rely on your ability to get your character to do what you want him to do to procede and that is a difficult task then it is control based.
Example:
Do you need to jump onto ledge A at half speed with a double jump and quickly jump off of the ledge and are greeted by an enemy that needs a 3 hit combo to defeat?

2nd. Puzzles - Sometimes a game presents a puzzle that you as a gamer have no way of knowing the required task. Many of these puzzles required trial and error and generally include obstacles such as enemies to slow your path to solving the puzzle. Timed events are also puzzles because they require you to complete something within a limitation outside of your ability to control your character (Combos, aiming, dodging, jumping etc etc). Knowing where to be, what to do and how to do it are all puzzles and prevelent in just about every game.
Example:
Do you have to throw a switch in room A so that the door in room G opens that allows you to turn crank C so that bridge H comes down allowing you to cross a chasm?

3rd. AI - I will stick with enemy difficulty on this one although lately I have seen many enviromental aspects with scripts that make you believe the computer is f98king with you. Certain games have enemies/bosses that have insane amounts of health, regenerate, drones, powerful attacts etc etc that make defeating them extremely difficult but don't necessarily have AI. With each generation of gaming AI is changing to replicate more human behavior. Fighting, shooting, driving, running plays and the like now require you to be better than an opponent who is designed to react differently depending on the situation.
Example:
Does Enemy A duck behind the crate after it is finished firing at you, if you throw a grenade does it run away from it while simultainiously firing in your direction limiting your ability to get a good shot off?

For me if a game has only 1 of the 3 difficulties above the developer was either lazy or cheap in the design of the game. Any balance of 2 of the above difficulties usually results in a challenging game that doesn't leave you feeling cheated when you fail at completing a task. However, if one element of the above is more prevelent than the others a gamer can get frustrated because it only requires us to master 1 aspect of the game instead of being a well rounded player.

Old school games heavilly relied on Controls/Timing; with a hint of Puzzle solving. To be good at a majority of games back in the day you really needed to have good reflexes and a precise short term memory. Today things are different; as technology has progressed simply knowing your enemy flashes a jewel on his turbon before he punches you no longer works. You have to know how to react to the computers reactions and his reactions generally are based on your previous action.

My recent favorites that encorporated all of the difficulties above: GOW, Uncharted 1&2, Killzone, DMC.

Some of these games are difficult in the aspect that even if your extremely skilled in 1 aspect of the game it still offers you a challenge within another. You're a good head shot?, great now get one on that enemy who is lobbing grenades from cover. You're quick at solving puzzles?, great now beat that boss who requires you to do a 15 hit juggling combo. You're good at defeating A.I.?, great now find a way to get that door to open up 5 levels back so you can proceed.

It's been so long since I played Ninja Gaiden that I all I remember is the clown nose boss because he is the one I encountered the most. Either way I never made it to the end of the game.

:oops:

Yes it took me this long to realise that you weren't talking about the Ninja Gaiden on Xbox...

Back