Steam, Origin, Epic, Twitch, Good*, *Games Sales [2007-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because it's a fun game, and popular with a lot of people?

Oh, you don't agree? Well, there's no accounting for personal taste.

Btw, I've never played any of the BF titles, but if millions of people are diggin' 'em year after year, who's to argue wether they're quality or not? Obviously they are.

Maybe because it's a fun game, and popular with a lot of people?

Oh, you don't agree? Well, there's no accounting for personal taste.

Btw, I've never played any of the BF titles, but if millions of people are diggin' 'em year after year, who's to argue wether they're quality or not? Obviously they are.

Since when was popularity tied to quality? That goes against the entire teen pop culture.

BF3 is "quality" based on what criteria? Production values that attract the lowest common denominator, are easily marketible and increase sales?

The specific game doesn't matter. Replace "BF3" with any game that provided a good experience or many hours of enjoyment. Now compare the asking price to competing forms of entertainment. $50 is not a lot to ask for a good game or even good DLC.

Are you guys playing any of these games? Because if not, why the fuck are you in here talking about it?

This thread, for all you dolts who didn't pay attention, is about games you're currently playing. Go start your own thread about why you don't like whichever game it is you don't like and fuck off of this thread.

And, to get it back on track: I just last night started dorking around with all the DLC I bought for Fallout3:NV. I'm doing the Courier 6 missions, whatever those are called, where you go out to the Divide or something. So far it's just "more of the same", but that's OK with me, as I like the series and I really wanted some more ;)

Obviously some people didn't understand my request to stay on topic.
I HAZ BANSTICK !

Is that clearer ? :p

Are you guys playing any of these games? Because if not, why the fuck are you in here talking about it?

This thread, for all you dolts who didn't pay attention, is about games you're currently playing. Go start your own thread about why you don't like whichever game it is you don't like and fuck off of this thread.

And, to get it back on track: I just last night started dorking around with all the DLC I bought for Fallout3:NV. I'm doing the Courier 6 missions, whatever those are called, where you go out to the Divide or something. So far it's just "more of the same", but that's OK with me, as I like the series and I really wanted some more ;)

Heh, this thread is about Steam/Origin/GoG sales. You're thinking of this one. ;)

Well, goddammit then! :D Off to the proper thread I go *hangs head in shame*

To make sure I DO contribute, here's all the nonsense I ended up buying in the last Steam buying spree!
  • All of the Fallout3:NV DLC
  • The Batman franchise pack
  • Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  • Metro 2033
  • Skyrim (for my brother
  • GTA IV megapack or whatever it was (two copies, one for my brother, one for me)
  • Saints Row the Third franchise pack
  • STALKER franchise pack
I think I'm good for a while :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got the Witcher 2 during the Steam sale as it was low enough in price that I thought I'd give it a go.

It's better than the Witcher, at least. But while the combat is vastly improved, IMO, I'm still not a fan of their combat. I guess I'm just too "old school" in that non-turn based RPG combat just bores the shite out of me. I'm struggling to finish this one and hopefully I'll eventually finish it unlike the Witcher.

My biggest pet peeve with the game right now is, why in the F... is there a transition everytime you go through a freaking door? It's not loading assets or anything as far as I can see. For example, a house with an herb plant next to it still allows me to see the sparkles through the wall. So why the F... is there a transition like a loading screen? It makes it extremely tedious to explore a town, not to mention being hugely immersion breaking everytime the screen fades to black just because you went through a door.

Bleh. Looks like my little bit about what I got on Steam during the sale went off track a bit. :p

The other thing I got during the sale was Age of Empires Online. Surprisingly good and addictive. With far more content and depth than previous AoE games. All for the same price (49.99 USD will basically unlock everything in the "store") or lower (I think 9.99 USD is enough to fully unlock one civilization). Or even Free is entirely doable. Definitely worth checking out for anyone that likes RTS games. I was hugely surprised by how good it was. First few levels (they call them quests) are extremely easy, but difficulty starts to ramp up as you unlock more things. And coop play is enabled as soon as you get through the first tutorial missions.

Regards,
SB

Replace "BF3" with any game that provided a good experience or many hours of enjoyment. Now compare the asking price to competing forms of entertainment. $50 is not a lot to ask for a good game or even good DLC.

Threre is no point in comparing things in terms of hours of enjoyment. Someone can buy a book for 5x less and get a lot more value out of it. Game's worth needs to be evaluated disregarding its price and the ammount of time it takes to finish it. A "value for money" criterion should be replaced with "value for time". If all games costed nothing the question which should be asked is whether any of them are worth anything.

Threre is no point in comparing things in terms of hours of enjoyment. Someone can buy a book for 5x less and get a lot more value out of it. Game's worth needs to be evaluated disregarding its price and the ammount of time it takes to finish it. A "value for money" criterion should be replaced with "value for time". If all games costed nothing the question which should be asked is whether any of them are worth anything.

Typically I view a game as a dollar for entertainment hour ratio. If I play a game 40 hours and invest 60 in the game then Im only spending 1.5 dollars per entertainment hour. Which realistically is a rather good deal considering the cost of various other forms of entertainment.

weird, i agree with green.pixel about something. i think games' merit should generally be debated on a value vs time comparison, too. this opinion is chiefly in regards to reviewing games. however, where we disagree is in the absolutism. you can't NEVER judge games based on price unless you have infinite monies. ultimately, when you're in the shop and the various summer dlc bundles roll through, at least some part of you probably SHOULD be thinking, hmm, how long will I really enjoy HORSE ARMOR? maybe this wholly new continent for game XX for $5 will have better odds of panning out. given the deplorable state of dlc reviews this seems a vital step... not always revealing the best choice but often wise.

We only bought civ v this summer; gods+kings plus all the dlc. G+K is a really nifty expansion. The game would be better with more attwntion spent on the AI than the miserable new espionage system, but... at least the religion system feels quite exciting for one or two games, and restores a lot of the proper feel of ancient civilizations.

Threre is no point in comparing things in terms of hours of enjoyment.

Well then choose any unit of value that makes sense to you. I don't always use hours either. It could be the uniqueness or the thrill of the experience, quality of the story etc. Whatever metric you use the point still stands.

I got Witcher on Steam for like $10. I grossly underpaid for that. However I was a dolt and paid $60 for Diablo 3. What these sales do is seriously reduce buyer's remorse but thanks to them I've paid a pittance for games that are worth much more than the sale price. EA has a point that these sales are damaging to fair value pricing especially for good titles.

trinibwoy, i gotta disagree. think, it's only been in the last few years that a game was worth more than $1.99 a couple months after release. I think summer sales and the like have done a lot to speed up the embrace of digital distros like Steam, which in turn has had a net effect of increasing overall publisher takehome $. With no respite from $40 game prices, a lot of people like myself would still be buying boxed titles deeply discounted from amazon etc. How much do you think EA made from $3.99 boxed copies of Crysis?

I would admit, though, for the best games, prices could probably average higher. The Sims prices are outrageously high, but if you wanna play the Sims, what are ya gonna do?

Yeah I guess we'll disagree cause I see nothing wrong with paying $40 for a game :) I don't understand the thinking that games should be worth $5 and $10. That's less than I spend on lunch! It seems to me that Steam has bred a feeling of entitlement to great games at a pittance.

Steam sales are just opportunistic savings on older games that weren't considered purchasing upon release. Either due to financial constraints at the time, or subjective judgement of worth.

Speaking of value for playtime, Steam's Quakecon sale has Morrowind and Oblivion GotY Editions at $7 each.

Steam sales are just opportunistic savings on older games that weren't considered purchasing upon release. Either due to financial constraints at the time, or subjective judgement of worth.

Yeah for sure, the only PC games I've paid "full price" for recently are BC2, BF3 and D3. I'm still working on titles from 2007 over here so the depreciation curve works out great.

EA has a point that these sales are damaging to fair value pricing especially for good titles.

And a week after they've said that, they've used the same tactics they think are damaging on their own store. Valve disagress with them- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ales-cheapen-intellectual-property-accusation. And they have gone on record multiple times before that they sell more normal priced stuff after a big sale than they do before it.

Someone who bought The Witcher for $10 could have pre-ordered the sequel at 5x that price because they liked it and wanted to play the sequel day one and support the developers at full price.

I hope you realise that people end up spending more money as a whole when there are sales, and they don't stop doing regular purchases because sales exist. If the system didn't work, developers and publishers wouldn't participate.

Since when was popularity tied to quality? That goes against the entire teen pop culture.

This is from Arthur Schopenhauer's essay "On Books and Reading":

The art of not reading is a very important one. It consists in not taking an interest in whateever may be engaging the attention of the general public at an particular time. When some political or ecclesiastical pamphlet, or novel, or poem is making a great commotion, you should remember that he who writes for fools always finds a large public.

One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind.

In order to read what is good one must make it a condition never to read what is bad; for life is short, and both time and strength limited.

Which for gaming can become:
The art of not playing is a very important one. It consists in not taking an interest in whatever may be engaging the attention of the general public at an particular time. When some FPS or TPS, or RPG, or MMORPG is making a great commotion, you should remember that he who designs games for fools always finds a large public.

One can never play too little of bad, or too much of good games: bad games are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind.

In order to play what is good one must make it a condition never to play what is bad; for life is short, and both time and strength limited.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back