Steam, Origin, Epic, Twitch, Good*, *Games Sales [2007-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds really cheap IMO, I don't think Valve has discounted their games deeper than -75%. I'd say go for it...

I am also on the egde regarding L4D2. I have L4D, but never got into it much. The other players online were to "pro" at it and I could never enjoy an online session.
Is L4D2 better in terms of atmosphere? Can I enjoy it solo? Does it feel better than L4D? Does it really feel different in each playthrough? I am intrigued by their AI director approach, does it make a difference?

I much prefer the original L4D from a mood and atmosphere point of view. Art direction as well.

The color scheme in the original was very toned-down, at times the game felt almost black-and-white, it was very eerie. Zombies blended in with the background very effectively, often making you not even notice them until they start shuffling towards you. All the locations were misty and dark, like close to dusk, while some of L4D2's levels take place in broad daylight and the whole game is a lot more colorful overall. Totally ruins the mood, methinks. The living dead as an effective and menacing opposing force doesn't really work all that well as a fright-inducing concept under a blazing sun, y'know? :LOL:

The cast was more fun too in the original game IMO. Coach and Ellis are both very un-intellectual types, making for a...well, not particularly interesting and mentally stimulating conversation between them.

L4D does offer a lot more variety in monsters though, there wasn't all that much in the original. Unfortunately both Chargers and Jockeys together with the original Hunters are pretty samey-samey from a gameplay point-of-view. They all grab you or pin you whilst effing you up, and they rush (or jump) at you pretty damn quick too. Result is not much difference between these guys.

There's also a lot more guns, and several of them are very fun and effective. I enjoy that particular bit a lot, I must say. Add to that special weapons (machine gun, grenade launcher, chainsaw) as well as laser sights and incendiary ammo...and you can have quite a bit of fun in the follow-up too.

On the whole though I prefer the original, for its great art direction and flavor. And Francis is just unbeatable in his greatness as a character... :D

Decided I am not buying L4D2. Not about the money, its more about me buying games and not playing them later :rolleyes: ! L4D2 just doesn't tingle me enough.
Everytime I think of buying something, I end up with the thought " would rather save and buy BF3 again on PC! " Thats what I am enjoying them. Most on my ps3 right now.

The entire GOG catalogue is 50% off , almost entire :p !
Can someone please recommend some good old games ;) that are still enjoyable today ! For example I bought the original Red Faction on Steam and it is definitely still very enjoyable today.
Pls recommend some shooters/action/rpg or some gems the world doesn't care about anymore but are gems nonetheless.

Please do !

EDIT: Oh ! And Empire Earth Gold is free for all just for today ! Go get it ! Had splendid sessions with Empire Earth during college days :cool: long back !

Renegade does gog bundle pure faction along with red faction
http://purefaction.org/

as for fps from gog
Xiii
painkiller
shogo
blood2
serious sam
kingpin
farcry
chaser

or for something different how about evolva
try the demo see if you like it
http://download.cnet.com/3001-2095_4-10041941.html?spi=b9b1533e115c883d7defd75c36290451&dlm=0
click direct download link

And of course if you dont have it freespace2 one of the greatest games evar
now enhanced with fs2-open goodness. Truly a gift from the gaming gods

rpg: vampire the masquerade - redemption

Renegade does gog bundle pure faction along with red faction
http://purefaction.org/

as for fps from gog
Xiii
painkiller
shogo
blood2
serious sam
kingpin
farcry
chaser

or for something different how about evolva
try the demo see if you like it
http://download.cnet.com/3001-2095_4-10041941.html?spi=b9b1533e115c883d7defd75c36290451&dlm=0
click direct download link

And of course if you dont have it freespace2 one of the greatest games evar
now enhanced with fs2-open goodness. Truly a gift from the gaming gods

rpg: vampire the masquerade - redemption

Thanx Buddy ! I didn't know they had XIII too :) ! I wil be getting Painkiller for sure, used to be my favourite during its heyday. They have also got Unreal 2 for $5 and the original Unreal too !

I will chk out Kingpin too ! :cool: I'll chk all of the ones listed and report bck!

If you're thinking of shooters and Unreal and things of that sort, I think GoG has the original Unreal Engine-powered Star Trek: Klingon whatsitscalled shooter game too. It was pretty good, I never played through to the end as I recall (for whatever reason), but I liked what I did play.

Nobody sells the old Trek games AFAIK, due to licensing.

KHG was a somewhat interesting game. Very early Unreal Engine 1 stuff there.

These Origin sales don't reflect on the indian Origin store. Unlike Steam they seem to be country specific. Origin had 40% off yesterday, but no change in prices on the Indian Origin store.

BTW, I am dissappointed by the Steam sale this year. Last year whole catalogues and AAA titles were on sale. Uptill now its been pretty lacklustre this year. Maybe the best is yet to come. The humble Indie Bundle 4 has satisfied me the most as of now. So manymstupendous games!

The big steam sale has just started. Valve's web servers seem to be bowing severely under the load. Takes ages for pages to update right now.

(Lol... Got a Guru Meditation for looking at my steam inventory! :LOL:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back