Unreal Engine ported to Iphone 3GS

fehu

Veteran
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3695

:oops:

IMG_0011.PNG

Remember that graphics performance scales very well with additional transistors. At what point does the smartphone become more powerful than an Xbox 360? Sometime in the next 3 - 5 years for sure.

All that power in a handheld, but what it could be used for? Ceratainly not the same type of games like on home consoles, that would be pointless.

Apparently it's coming to another platform soon too - any bets that will be Android? I just saw some 3D performance testing on the Hero and that looked pretty sound despite it's 'modest' clock. Does anyone know how the Hero matches up to the iPhone 3GS in terms of 3D performance?

I'm looking to buy a Hero or an iPhone 3GS soon, but I'm having a terrible time deciding. I want the Hero for Android, so I can develop my own applications for it easily, but the iPhone seems more 'mature' right now and of course has a tonne more applications available right now, many of which are actually good.

How much is the licensing on UE 3 though?

Is it viable in a world of 99 cent iPhone games?

Anyone know how the iD games sold on the iPhone? They started out at $10 and Carmack seemed to have a question in his mind whether the App. Store would support the development of $10 games.

Apparently it's coming to another platform soon too - any bets that will be Android? I just saw some 3D performance testing on the Hero and that looked pretty sound despite it's 'modest' clock. Does anyone know how the Hero matches up to the iPhone 3GS in terms of 3D performance?
AFAIK there's not OpenGL ES 2.0 support in Android so even if the hardware supports it you cannot use it. This might change in the future but today the iPhone 3GS is the superior platform hardware features wise.

I don't know if the UE requires pixel shaders or it can run in more limited GPUs.

I heard Android hasn't gotten exactly the same reception in Europe that it has in the US so far.

But there are a lot of other Android phones coming out over the next year.

in europe the best selling phones are nokia that ate the moment are too fragmented for development of application

I'd say the other platform will be one that has support for OMAP 3430 devices, and that would be either Symbian^1 (S60 v5) or Android 2.1.

Yup it can be blackberry (but so far they all have sucky Qualcomm MSM 72XX/6XXX OGL 1.0 chipsets) or Android.
Or the OS that everybody loves to hate: Windows Mobile which currently supports basically everything you throw at it (Qualcomm SnaDragon, TI OMAP 3430, nVidia Tegra etc) and does have a couple of OGL 2.0 devices already on the market (HTC HD2, Acer neoTouch, Toshiba TG01, Samsung Omnia II, OmniaPro..).
Mark Rein said that the announcement will happen at CES, where Microsoft is expected to announce some stuff (Steve Ballmer is the opening Keynote).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back