[PSN] Under Siege

€15 is excellent value. That's as much as Castle Crashers which is a shorter, simpler title, while Under Seige has the full level editor. Given a decent community interface to find and play levels, it could offer a lot of replayability.

Yes, Under Siege will be in my collection; but I'm really looking for that hybrid RTS + first person view game (What is it ?).

IWaggle tests out UnderSiege with Move controller. As usual, he has a very in-depth review of it. its in two parts.

GFX and art wise, I say, the game is looking very good ! :D

Just played the first few levels of this, seems pretty sweet. Getting used to the various selection commands. Works well with Move but you can see they tried hard to make it easy with DS3 too. Liking it so far and seems quite a steal at this price.

Played this a bit now. It's a very welcome change from the last few years of console games, but I think I'll have to put it on hold until some updates. There are too many niggling but easily fixed issues at the moment, first and foremost being the lousy discipline of my troops who perpetually break rank! I've got as far as the third level I think, with the mortar guy, and controlling him is similarly awkward. You have to use the triangle special attack button to activate his only attack, a bombardment of a particular area, and I couldn't find how to deactivate it. I tried clicking Triangle again and he started blowing up my own troops! I guess you have to move him, but it's all very awkward. This isn't a problem with it being a console RTS per se, but rather a need for some tweaks. The developers have openly asked for feedback so I'm optimistic.

Where did they ask for feedback ? Did you respond ? I haven't downloaded the game because my HDD is full. Just upgraded last night. Hope to start next week.

There was comment on the PS Blog, where a dev asked to comment on their official forums. Posts on the official forums have had had official responses that always thank people for all feedback. They also mention that MLAA didn't make it into 720p rendering due to a last minute memory issue, but they are working on adding it back in. That explains the poor IQ I saw, so I switched to 1080p and the game looks good. I worry that there's a lot of small objects to create MLAA shimmer though.

Besides which I've just tried to play this again and have to give up on it. Sadly I regard it as unplayable because the squads act independently and stupidly. They won't keep position, move into positions where they are useless, and trying to organise that in battle is unworkable. I take casualties when I shouldn't. An RTS should be won or lost on the palyer's strategies, and not on whether the AI decides whether or not to run through enemy lines after an enemy miles away instead of shooting the guys hitting them!

thats explains why 720p looks a little rough. I thought I was seeing things lol. 1080p is pretty slow for me, hey should have went with lower 1440X1080 or even lower 1280X1080. They should have 2 modes switching in the option menu instead of forcing the resolution in the PS3 setting. 720p looks quite nice with SSAO.

Besides which I've just tried to play this again and have to give up on it. Sadly I regard it as unplayable because the squads act independently and stupidly. They won't keep position, move into positions where they are useless, and trying to organise that in battle is unworkable. I take casualties when I shouldn't. An RTS should be won or lost on the palyer's strategies, and not on whether the AI decides whether or not to run through enemy lines after an enemy miles away instead of shooting the guys hitting them!

Haven't had this problem myself (been playing some Infamous though so didn't get much further into the game), but I'm fairly certain there's a different command when placing them for telling them to stay put and for going someplace free at will to attack someone. Have you read the Gaf thread on this game? It's full of useful tips, many of which are coming from someone on the dev team. I know you're not active there, but it's worth a look and if you have a specific question to ask I'll post it. They also make much of the terrain in this game, and often there is a good place for archers that is not immediately reachable. Regardless, the enemies get smart pretty early on I notice.

I'll also play a bit of dualshock versus move and let you know, though I suspect that iWaggle3D might already have done such a comparison.

...but I'm fairly certain there's a different command when placing them for telling them to stay put and for going someplace free at will to attack someone. Have you read the Gaf thread on this game?
Just read it, saw nothing about moving tips. TBH I'm surprised at the positive opinions without anyone mentioning the fact that squaddies wander off on their own accord!

I'll also play a bit of dualshock versus move and let you know, though I suspect that iWaggle3D might already have done such a comparison.
Dual-shock does work pretty well. Perhaps the only change I can think of is using one of the shoulder buttons as a shift key to enable some more complex control like setting units aggressiveness.

Just read it, saw nothing about moving tips. TBH I'm surprised at the positive opinions without anyone mentioning the fact that squaddies wander off on their own accord!

I've played a fair bit more now, but so far only once did one single archer walk towards an enemy on his own. Otherwise, the lot does pretty much what I want them to. I'm finding the game pretty challenging though, and after the initial tutorial there is refreshingly little handholding. Also, you can finish a map without achieving all objectives on it, including sometimes a main objective like rescuing the gunner.

Dual-shock does work pretty well. Perhaps the only change I can think of is using one of the shoulder buttons as a shift key to enable some more complex control like setting units aggressiveness.

Good. I'm also really happy with the Move controls so far. I like the way you can rotate the map seamlessly while playing just by twisting the Move controller. I also like that this seems to be one of the first games that has a 2D pointer you can choose between controlling in laser pointer or relative pointer mode. Using the laser pointer mode so far (default) which works very well and is very steady.

I've played a fair bit more now, but so far only once did one single archer walk towards an enemy on his own.
:???: You know level 3, and there's a bunch of baddies in the valley at the bottom (if you head left from the start). If I place my archers up there, they'll start shooting down into the valley, as they should. But then they always walk off down the hill to engage the enemy when they've wandered off screen. If you only have them attacking directly, behind the soldiers, they'll stay stand and you can use the soldier's Aggro skill to keep mobs off the archers, but the moment the archers target on their own, they'll track and wander.

Back