Best graphics in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I would ask old moms what they like in a blind test, and FPS developers and publisher would base their game graphics on this result....all FPS would look like Flower and the enemies like Eye Pet!!
Yeah with lots of blood being spilled all over the place. I must write that idea of yours down. That would be a perfect game to pitch.

I cast my vote for MW2.

Well, first of all it's been a great year for gaming, at least on the PS3 and I have had the luxury of completing all the visual show pieces including KZ2, UC2, Res5, ACII and Batman AA, only reason I don't mention MW2 is coz it's just not visually nextgen, I'll elaborate later.

I had a hard debate between KZ2 and UC2 but ultimately chosen the one and only, Killzone 2. But these two titles have brought the utter most shock and awe in terms of graphics and total impact, to me they're really a league above the rest. You may argue UC2 has a longer laundry list of effects but everything that's in KZ2 simply created the most CGI esque experience I've ever witnessed, the death animation, shadows and particles are the deciding factor for me. UC2 is just another kind of awesome but it's just not as convincing in a sense.

In regards to MW2, I think it's a good looking game with tons of actions on screen but everything are just second grade in comparison. The game seldom use any nextgen effects such as object motion blur, HDR, Deferred rendering, advanced mapping, physics, average animation and average res textures. 60fps is good and all but personally I'd rather take 720p 30fps any day for higher visual impact. I can understand some might like it for the presentation and fast action military cool factor but beyond that I just don't see a damn thing worth mentioning.

Finally, judging from what I've played of the GOW3 demo, I have to say the final game would seriously threaten the likes of UC2 and KZ2 graphically. I'll leave it at that:).

You don't think it would be approriate to drop the moniker "nextgen", when we are talking about a current gen of over four years old?

Sorry to nitpick. My vote goes to KZ2 also. I was more impressed by it than UC2 visually.

The game seldom use any nextgen effects such as object motion blur, HDR, Deferred rendering, advanced mapping, physics, average animation and average res textures.
Next-generation doesn't really apply to much of that, and especially not DR, which has nothing to do with effects at all.

You don't think it would be approriate to drop the moniker "nextgen", when we are talking about a current gen of over four years old?
I think he was talking about graphical fidelity, rather than the hardware.

Next-generation doesn't really apply to much of that, and especially not DR, which has nothing to do with effects at all.
Just so I can make it more clear what I meant was the use of enormous amount of lights and how they have brought the unique look and feel.

Finally, judging from what I've played of the GOW3 demo, I have to say the final game would seriously threaten the likes of UC2 and KZ2 graphically. I'll leave it at that:).

But then there will be UC3 and KZ3 to take back the crown. PS3 ftw :D

For downloadable games I'd have to go with critter crunch and shooter

Sorry to nitpick. My vote goes to KZ2 also. I was more impressed by it than UC2 visually.

depends on how you look at it. I guess it just carries into the actual next-gen and when it ends. Right now there are 2 next-gens (ps3/360 and ps4/nextbox) and its just a matter of context that differentiates them. Next gen for ps4 starts now and we will continue analyzing the occurrences in that gen as next gen till another one comes along. If you want to be a strict spoil sport then next gen is next gen

Last edited by a moderator:
He did, read some of his older posts
Hm, I pretty much did read all his posts!
But I really can't remember the particular post you think of...would be kind from you if you could point me to it, as I am too dumb to find it with the search function.

I can only remember that he mentioned comparisons of different games in the blind tests, for instance he mentioned once Fable 2 VS Killzone 2, and that is exactlyl what I mean...if you compare total different games and genres and art styles, you don't get accurate and usefull results.

My optimal blind test would be:

For instance FPS games: find some pure PC gamers (they don't bother which console, as they usually hate both: so no fanboy stuff...additionally they are typically very graphics aware and thus ideally suited) and do blind tests with them!!

I am not sure what people are talking about GoW1 looking grey...it looked fan-bleeding-tastic on both the console and even way more so on the PC. Yes it was the artwork. I think MAJORITY of people who will be asked what makes graphics when you break it down, it will constitute artwork and level of detail in the levels. Just take a step back and think any game...blindingly awesome textures, lot of details crammed in to the screen, nice animation, (considering animation as artwork here as well) it will indefinitely lead people at least the laymen and not smart people like y'all to say that with all those above covered, the game will be having good graphics. Now how good an engine is will be evident with the more detail, sharper textures, better models etc that can be applied and at what performance level.

And lighting has nothing to do with it? If you ask people about CGI, what looks good, certainly in the pursuit of photorealism lighting is the principle factor. Untextured, unshaded geometry rendered with a convincing GI engine looks great, whereas beautifully textured surfaces lit with a basic hard-light, no contact shadows and phong shading looks primitive.

I think lighting has a bigger effect than many realise. When it's good, you don't notice it; it just makes the scene easier on the eye.

True that, Lighting has the most effect on the look of a game but very few realize the magnitude of importance it has, basically when the "average Joe" is referring to awesome lighting he'll be referring to an outdoor shot consisting the sun with some lens flare or in some cases God Rays through trees 7 such.

The PS3 game of the year for me was Uncharted 2 for great art direction and sound system… Killzone 2 comes in 2nd place. The only thing that bugged me about K2 was the “too much factor”. Just too much going on screen for me too truly enjoy. Like an overloaded of pyrotechnics, soldiers, lighting, mini battles, etc… PS3 hardware eye-candy (lol). This is fine and dandy, but way too much for my liking.

The demo of the year for me was the PS3 God of War 3 demo. Kratos real-time in game model alone is jaw dropping… he’s very detailed in appearance and the closest game character I have seen matching / beating some high-end offline/CGI movie characters in recent games. My crappy Blackberry pic (see below) doesn’t convey all the muscle rippling, scaring, and skeletal detail, but it will have to do. The only thing that needs reworking in my opinion is the blades of Athena chains around his arms. The chains are defined and have depth (normal mapping), but no motion.

Kratos.jpg

but they aren't supposed to move. THey have to stay on tight throughout the fights and be loosened when he wants to use them :S

Seriously semitope, you don't need to post 10 meg of gifs to demonstrate how bland and blurry KZ2 is.

Please edit your post to at least only provide links and not embedded gifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back