B3Ders on PSN

Does the new PSN allow the user to use DLCs from a different region ?

I have seen random posts saying this is the case, but have not verified it.

I'm actually thinking of changing my PSN-id. Changing meaning to ditch the old one and replace it by something new. I figure now's a good time since PS4 isn't compatible with PS3 games, so losing my history and trophies I guess I can live with. I'll post my new name once I figured it out.

Why ?

Because I'm having a headache over Sony's PSN policy.

My 'prime account' on the PS3 is one where I don't live. I created this account originally, because I wanted english content, so opted to register a US account. Then, 3 years later, Sony must have blocked my creditcard (probably due to the fact that the billing address is not valid or CC country of origin doesn't match the store). Since I would like to use the Plus membership to the fullest (for instance online game saves) I need an account that I can use to buy products, services and use at the same time as my prime account.

So, I'm forced to use my local PSN account - but here, the stores content isn't english. So I'm wondering if I should;

Use a local account (that being Switzerland) for:

- as my prime login to play games
- buy the Plus membership to enable online gaming and online game saves
- buy multilingual content

Additionally, I might create a UK account (given it's in Europe too and my CC might work)...
- to buy localised content that isn't multilingual (stuff I want in English)

If I undertand PSN correctly, buying DD stuff on a UK account (assuming my CC won't be blocked there) should be playable using my local PSN account without much hassle. I'll just have to switch to that account to download it.

It's a bit messy, I know - but the reason for me to go this route is to avoid a similar mess sometime in the future when Sony further blocks CCs or if they ever check the IP address linked to an account. I'm somewhat puzzled why the PSN store does not allow country of origin to be changed (what if I happen to move to another country?) or that they bind language to country of origin (e.g. if I happen to live in Germany but only speak English, I can only chose German as language for my account).

Given that the importance of building up a social online entity will only increase in the future as more and more services go online and I don't want to lose what I've built up over the years, I feel I need to get this mess sorted so that I won't have to start from scratch again, ever.

Arwin: Thanks for the info. Good to know. I guess I'll add my old account to gain access to those specific titles - or if needs to be, I'll just purchase them again.

Right, Phil, that makes sense. I have never really bothered with that myself, surrendering myself to the whims of our local store (The Netherlands). Only very rarely I've bothered to logon to the US store to get some free content there, like Youtube, which for some reason was never released in The Netherlands.

My PSN is niwrA by the way. Always open to B3Ders with a Vita or PS4. PS3 is full though ... :D

Have you tried prepaid PSN credit? these are even cheaper than buying with cash.

Thanks, I have actually. I tried ordering a PSN card from Amazon US, but they tell me at the last step that this article isn't shipped to my country - I pretty much assume these are for policy reasons (by Sony) and would apply to pretty much all online stores as well - though perhaps I would be lucky to try a smaller store, I guess.

I did actually buy a PSN card for $50.00 in Canada when I was in Toronto last year, but that's not going to get me very far... :cry:

Anyway, I did attempt another try last week, when I read somewhere that it's possible to charge your account over PayPal if you log in to PSN using a browser and go to your account settings to recharge your account. Sure enough I tried - and everything seems to work until PayPal tells me "transaction completed", but when I'm redirected back to the PSN page, it tells me that some error has occured and the funds could not be added (the same error I get over the PS3 using the CC). Nice.

The odd thing is, there isn't even a transparent error message that tells me it doesn't work because my CC isn't allowed or that my billing information has been found to be wrong - it just sais "an error has occured".

Maybe I should try to change my fake address to another fake address and see if it works then... Still, it just doesn't seem like a very future proof idea in light that my PSN ID will grow importance as gaming moves to more social gaming features. And all of this because I refuse to buy synched German content from my local PSN store. :mad:

Right, Phil, that makes sense. I have never really bothered with that myself, surrendering myself to the whims of our local store (The Netherlands). Only very rarely I've bothered to logon to the US store to get some free content there, like Youtube, which for some reason was never released in The Netherlands.

This may be a little late with the PS4 about to release, but the Youtube app was released in the Netherlands. It's just extremely well hidden in the PSN store. But if you do a search for Youtube, you should find it.

Can't wait for Dark Souls 2. It's the one game I want more than any of the next gen stuff.

As for a spiritual successor to MAG. I'm not sure if a game is coming that fits that mould. It's interesting, the last online shooter I've played was MAG. I haven't played any online shooters since. I'll probably give Killzone:SF multiplayer a try though. I liked KZ2 multiplayer well enough.

Though I wonder how long it'll take me to return to Dark Souls. Need to finish that Sunbro build.

@ Phil - You can open an UK account and use your CC. It's what I did. I'm from Romania, my CC is romanian. What I did was - I opened a SEN account from my desktop computer, and gave an UK fake name and address for it. Then I actiavated my Vita on this account. Then, on the Vita, I opted for the 14days trial version of the PS+ - and I was asked to provide my CC, which I did. All data from CC was real, except for the country, which cannot be changed - but the system accepted it.

I know enjoy full access to PS+ on the Vita (and tomorrow on the PS4 - I have confirmation the system left today from Amazon UK by priority express), currently playing Uncharted Golden Abyss for "free".

The reason I had to do this is - there is no PS store here in Romania...

Thanks, I have actually. I tried ordering a PSN card from Amazon US, but they tell me at the last step that this article isn't shipped to my country - I pretty much assume these are for policy reasons (by Sony) and would apply to pretty much all online stores as well - though perhaps I would be lucky to try a smaller store, I guess.

There are a lot of stores that sell PSN cards where the code will be delivered by email within minutes. Have used it quite a bit and never had Problems. Like here: http://www.mspoints.de/playstation-network-card-c-25.html?osCsid=o9adp6rufakvkpqokf65k78b44

This may be a little late with the PS4 about to release, but the Youtube app was released in the Netherlands. It's just extremely well hidden in the PSN store. But if you do a search for Youtube, you should find it.

Tried that several times, but only got the Vita YouTube app that way

Tried that several times, but only got the Vita YouTube app that way

That's strange. And I just checked my download history. It says I downloaded the Vita Youtube app. I download again, and it's indeed the Vita Youtube app. However, I do have Youtube on my XMB, so I did download it at some point. I don't know why it's not in the PSN store anymore.

I really like the real names feature. And the live areas seem to be switched on now, though no activity updates yet ...

A LOT of u guys are not accepting my friend requests :(
No PSN at the moment -maybe when GT7 comes out and if the console is priced 300€ or less...-.

If you ever have the Xbox One, add me.

My gamertag is Ruin of Palmira.

https://live.xbox.com/es-ES/Profile?gamertag=Ruin of Palmira

I used my real name until now -this nick has a very curious story- but since you can specify it in your profile (as you can see in the link) I decided to change it now.

On the Xbox 360 I was more reluctant to make new friends. Now on the Xbox One I add everyone in sight. :cool:

The Xbox One "forces" you to have a very strong sense of community. The activity feed of your friends is always mentioning things about their achievements, about their uploaded video clips, etc etc etc. You can follow people, too.

And the more friends the more Drivatars for Forza 5! I hope I can reach the 1000 friends limit in the upcoming years.

My best friend is in my favourites list, and she knows it, so.... why not?

Back