Current TVs and Upcoming PS3 3D

Might as well go whole hog and do VR then, throw in pupil tracking and liquid lenses for proper focal length to remove fatigue.

Like Nintendo Virtual Boy type goggle ?

Is Research into VR HMD still going ? surely now with all high res LCD, OLED and all TFLOPs of compute power there should be some improvement in VR compare to 20 years ago when it was all the talk ?

It was the most promising technology of the era, but no worthwhile product ever come from it.

There are fundamental physical problems with packaging for VR goggles.
Direct projection on the retina which resolves the bulk of them has been touted as just around the corner for years, but even with lots of military dollars thrown at it, still hasn't materialized in any interesting form.

There are fundamental physical problems with packaging for VR goggles.
Accommodation-convergence mismatch being one of them ... but using an external screen doesn't really fix that. An external screen just doesn't have tracking lag, that's the only advantage.

Like Nintendo Virtual Boy type goggle ?

Is Research into VR HMD still going ? surely now with all high res LCD, OLED and all TFLOPs of compute power there should be some improvement in VR compare to 20 years ago when it was all the talk ?

It was the most promising technology of the era, but no worthwhile product ever come from it.

The company eMagin has had OLED visor on the market for a while.

http://cb.nowan.net/images/vr/eMaginZ800.jpg

Sony can take their experience with LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) and transfer that knowledge to OLED on Silicon.

A Playstation 3d Visor seems plausible to me.

There must be somthing special going on, the games they showed simply couldnt render in 3d, on a normal PS3, in the traditional way while maintaining the original framerate.

Here is the first youtube video i came across. There were several articles confirming it was running on standard ps3 hardware, from what i remember anyhow :LOL:

I also remember that the special processing doesnt have to be done on the tv and could be done internally on ps3 so that any 3dready tv could work with it. Suggests that maybe the processing could be done on one of he reserved SPUs. Theres not much concrete details yet bt id does seem sony as something up thier sleaves

It may not be necessary to maintain the same framerate. It the brain averages out the images fed alternately to each eye, it may be possible to get by with half the frame rate in each eye without the brain noticing. Processing would presumably involve alternating between two viewpoints between alternative frames and switching the shutters accordingly. Presumably this is done somewhere in the OpenGL layer independently from the game application.

With regard to 3D movies, I think adoption will be slow. Pretty well all movies have been shot in 2D and can't be converted to 3D without reshooting the movie. Game screens on the other hand are regenerated in real time, and so can easily be re-rendered in 3D.

It may not be necessary to maintain the same framerate. It the brain averages out the images fed alternately to each eye, it may be possible to get by with half the frame rate in each eye without the brain noticing. Processing would presumably involve alternating between two viewpoints between alternative frames and switching the shutters accordingly. Presumably this is done somewhere in the OpenGL layer independently from the game application.

With regard to 3D movies, I think adoption will be slow. Pretty well all movies have been shot in 2D and can't be converted to 3D without reshooting the movie. Game screens on the other hand are regenerated in real time, and so can easily be re-rendered in 3D.
I think w/ 15fps for each eye you'd end up w/ a headache after a little while. at least in my experience. people have even complained of headaches when using the nV 3D Vision glasses & 120Hz samsung. maybe 240Hz would fix that, but i'm not sure the PS3 has the capability to push 240Hz.

I think w/ 15fps for each eye you'd end up w/ a headache after a little while. at least in my experience. people have even complained of headaches when using the nV 3D Vision glasses & 120Hz samsung. maybe 240Hz would fix that, but i'm not sure the PS3 has the capability to push 240Hz.

Why would ps3 need to push 240Hz. It's enough that tv takes 30fps in and then shows same image again and again alternating eyes. This is exactly how movies are going to be working.

150 Hz should be enough for shutter glasses, most people found CRTs acceptable at 75 Hz after all. You would need gray-gray response time of ~3 msec with LCDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we will be getting our first 3D movies next year. PS3 shouldn't have any issues. Just need to make sure you have the tv.

He also said that 3D Blu-ray movies will need screens with refresh rates of 120Hz, double the current standard of 60Hz, and 2x speed Blu-ray drives. As with all of Nvidia's 3D products, shutter glasses will be required to view films...He also hinted that Sony’s PlayStation 3 was the only current player that could “possibly” run 3D Blu-ray content “with a firmware upgrade” thanks to its discrete Nvidia GPU, which is based on the GeForce 7800 architecture."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/354025/nvidia-announces-3d-blu-ray-for-2010

Will any currently available 120Hz 3D display work or do we need to wait for HDMI 1.4 equipped displays? Looking at the HDMI 1.4 official page, it seems that a whole lot of different techniques are supported - basically all the ones in Blitz Games' XBLA/PSN game - so I am beginning to wonder whether it's true 120fps, or "simply" 60fps using side-by-side or interlacing, extrapolated into 120Hz.

Looks neat. I am sure it looks more interesting in person than from photos.
These kinds of displays need huge amount of image data, and yet, most of the pixels it displays are never seen ... kind of a waste. The actual viewing resolution is very low (128*96 I think).

I know it's been mentioned before. Still find it hard to believe that HDMI 1.3 has enough bandwidth for it (May be with some trade offs ?).
No trade-offs necessary. 1.3 has more than twice as much available video bandwidth as 1.1/2, which have just enough for 1080p60. So it can obviously do twice the frames at that resolution (except for the signaling standard which 1.4 will provide)

I think we need to be looking at Occam's Razor for PS3 3D - the simplest solution is most likely the one they'll go with.

Here's the HDMI 1.4 spec page for 3D I alluded to earlier: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

Notice how the top two methods in the list are those used by Blitz Games in their XBLA/PSN game. Surely creation of two frames from one is the most sensible solution? I'm willing to bet that interpolation of a stereo 3D image via goggles helps make up the resolution deficiency - the eyes naturally blend. Also consider PS3 running in 1080i mode - it can still give the impression of 1080p60 even though it is producing half-frames.

Back