Quick ATI Crossfire Question

linthat22

Regular
I currently have the HD2900XT (512MB) card that I bought a couple years ago and it's now showing its age, so I purchased the HD5770 (1GB) and was hoping to do the Crossfire with them.

The thing is, I can't find any chart saying that it's doable or not. From what I remember reading (way back), was that you'd be able to pair up any Crossfire ready cards.

What does the master class have to say?

I believe for something like that they have to at least be in the same family (generation) of cards.

Mixing and matching a Dx11 class card with a Dx10 class card could be all sorts of trouble. Added to that differences in architecture rendering techniques such as SPU MSAA versus hardware MSAA.

Regards,
SB

You can only mix and match within the same generation of products. You would need another HD 5xxx series card for CF.

aww hell, ya'll serious?!?

Oh well, at least I'll be able to give the misses my HD2900 when the new one comes in. She has one, so at least she can benefit from it.

Thank you all for the answers!!

Unfortunate but still better than SLI in that regard, as SLI needs virtually identical cards in order to function. Clocks and vendors can be different but everything else has to be the same.

There was an old Cat. Driver on which you could pair HD2900 with HD38xx, but that feature was disabled shortly after.
It is possible but now viable for everyday use.

Back