Deus Ex 3 (PC)

All the talk about stealth not working in group, guns being poor in high difficulty and such are moot IMO. I never had any problem and I always played on hardest from the get go,even the preview version (which I got legally). If you play your cards right then you will RARELY run out of tranq/stun ammo, the trick is to engage as few enemies as possible. Winning boss battle is piss easy as well as long as you have a couple of grenades and mines you can be done with a boss battle sighing 15 seconds as explosions stun them.

The talk about some level being practically impossible on Ghost is incorrect, it IS possible to finish the entire game as ghost. I myself have played till now while getting ghost every single time. It's worth pointing out that the game even has an achievement for achieving smooth operator every time.

Tessellation on its own won't add much, especially to normal mapped models - the smoother silhouettes will be slightly noticeable and that's it.

Where it can shine is when you add displacement mapping to add more geometric detail. So far, very few actual games did that because it requires extra production time on assets.

I hope someone mods it to remove the "Golden Black" theme and make it sexy, slick and coool , and I'll jump right in !!!!

i did something basic with latest fxaa inject tool.. it looks a bit pink/purple but i think it's better than default.. i actually want it look more blue/colder tone but couldnt do it.. any help would be appreciated..

screenshots
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=fT31aYHG

settings
Code:
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        TECHNICOLOR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#define TechniAmount 0.20 // 1.00 = Max
#define TechniPower 4.0 // lower values = whitening

// lower values = stronger channel
#define redNegativeAmount 1.00 // 1.00 = Max
#define greenNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define blueNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        TONEMAP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#define Gamma 1.10
#define Exposure 0.00
#define Saturation 0.05 // use negative values for less saturation. 
#define BlueShift 3.00 // Higher = more blue in image.
#define Bleach 0.05 // Bleach bypass, higher = stronger effect
#define Defog 0.055 // Strength of Lens Colors.
#define FogColor float4(0.08, 0.28, 0.10, 3.0) //Lens-style color filters for Blue, Red, Yellow, White.

SEPIA
#define Earthyellow // Color Tone, available tones can be seen in ColorTones.PNG (Do not use spaces in the name!)
#define GreyPower 3 //(Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning), defines how much of the grey color you wish to blend in 
#define SepiaPower 1.2 //(Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning), defines how much of the color tone you wish to blend in

To be honest that looks bad.
I really dig the golden-black/ Green-black (and few of the later levels have a white look) style, fits the game aesthetic so much, especially some of the later levels.

Winning boss battle is piss easy as well as long as you have a couple of grenades and mines you can be done with a boss battle sighing 15 seconds as explosions stun them.

Defeating Barrett (1st boss) using only what's provided isn't too bad as you said. I gave it a quick go and managed to defeat him in about a minute on normal difficulty.

Loving the game so far, I don't think they could have got the original "feel" of Deus Ex any more spot on than they did.

As for the difficulty of the firefight...you guys must just really suck at fighting :p.

The 1st boss fight was sort of hard though - he chews you up quick.

However, all i did was hide behind the pillar next to the green toxic barrels, wait for him to come to me, then unload my shotgun into his face when we was choking on toxic fumes (I may or may not have screamed "BOOOOMM!! Head-shot!" at the monitor after he fell dead).

If there is one thing my time on games has taught me - no-one can take a boom shotty to da face.

The 'Smooth Operator' (no alarm) and 'Ghost' (not seen by any enemy) add up pretty quickly. I think it's fairly balanced overall.
Taking someone down lethally nets you 10 xp. Taking two enemies down at the same time (reflex) with an unseen, silent, unarmed takedown nets you 72.5 xp apiece. The Smooth Operator and Ghost bonuses get added on top of that.

All in all, going in guns blazing and destroying obstructions gives you far less xp than going around everything unseen, which gives you far less xp then hacking everything and taking all enemies out (unseen!) with an unarmed take down.

Compared to the serious underperformance of guns and that you cannot be a total tank like in DX1, definitely shows that you have to play stealthy, hack all and take all enemies down as the pushed playstyle. You'll gimp yourself and make things much more difficult by going the "kill them all" route.

EDIT: And I expect you get rewarded for the unarmed takedowns as well because it allows the devs to show off their immersion breaking third-person animations.

Deus Ex 1 was all about choice. Play as you like. It all works, and it all gives you the same amount of xp. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is in many ways more like Splinter Cell and Thief than Deus Ex.

The devs of DX3 made it clear they don't like the RPG aspect, and want to reward player skills first and foremost: no weapon skills, sniper rifles suck (the good and silent one is only available through a DLC with some pre-orders!), and the harder the method is you use to take an enemy down, the more xp you'll get.

Boss fights. That says it all.

In DX1, I generally kill Anna by planting a LAM on the plane, and I either ignore all the other augmented agents ("bosses"), throw them a grenade or shoot them in the head with my sniper rifle. Once.

And while I do like the stealth approach best, DX1 doesn't register a difference between a lethal or non-lethal take down. That's why Paul and the armory sergeant both react like you killed everyone, even if you took all of them down non-lethal.

And it does feel great to go all-out bad-ass occasionally, be an unkillable tank and simply annihilate everyone. Which is something you cannot do in DX3.

Well, you might be able to annihilate them all, but you won't ever feel like that unkillable tank that takes down every enemy with a single shot.

Still, nice game, I like it, but I do have a long list of things I would like to see modded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you might be able to annihilate them all, but you won't ever feel like that unkillable tank that takes down every enemy with a single shot.

You can if you use the pistol. :LOL: TBH, despite my rant earlier, now that I have all my points in the Arm Augs, for recoil and movement, the combat rifle and the sniper guns are actually fairly decent. Can take down plenty of bad guys. Plus jumping off buildings with the slow fall enabled, and power smaking the ground, then tornado blasting everyone, is pretty f******g cool.

I'm playing it 50% run and gun, 50% hacking and stealth at present. I'm not sure if the game would be that fun if you tried to hold 100% to either of these, but I'm having a very good time at present. It is definitely *THE* spiritual sucessor to DE1, and I'm very happy with the game. I enjoy Crysis and Singlarity more, but it's definitely going on list of very very good games, which ain't that long.

Loving the game so far, I don't think they could have got the original "feel" of Deus Ex any more spot on than they did.
I disagree. DX1 and DX3 are different games to me.

As for the difficulty of the firefight...you guys must just really suck at fighting :p.
I don't have leet reflexes, I'm 45.

Makes you wonder about their target audience.

If there is one thing my time on games has taught me - no-one can take a boom shotty to da face.
Well, try that with snipers or robots.

It's it's own Deus Ex but it's definitely faithful to the design of the original game in many ways.

You can if you use the pistol. :LOL: TBH, despite my rant earlier, now that I have all my points in the Arm Augs, for recoil and movement, the combat rifle and the sniper guns are actually fairly decent. Can take down plenty of bad guys. Plus jumping off buildings with the slow fall enabled, and power smaking the ground, then tornado blasting everyone, is pretty f******g cool.

I'm playing it 50% run and gun, 50% hacking and stealth at present. I'm not sure if the game would be that fun if you tried to hold 100% to either of these, but I'm having a very good time at present. It is definitely *THE* spiritual sucessor to DE1, and I'm very happy with the game. I enjoy Crysis and Singlarity more, but it's definitely going on list of very very good games, which ain't that long.
Ok, I agree for the most part. But....

I agree that it beats 95% of all FPSes of the last three or four years. If you played most of them, this will rock. But if you didn't play them because they were pretty bad, this is only "OK". Still, it doesn't beat Deus Ex 1 by a long shot, unless you rate graphics over gameplay. And it's supposed to be a sequel/prequel.

While the pistol is great, the sniper rifle isn't silent, and the zoom is tiny and off-center. Be prepared to hunt the target, and get everyone running towards you when you use it.

I haven't used Tornado yet, but I expect it to be cool. It's supposed to be an easy "win" button.

But there is no option to do like some of the DX1 "bosses" and become nearly unkillable if you enable your defence systems. That's why you take those down before they do so.

Heck, I'm pretty sure you're like a wet leaf compared to the first DX3 boss at the end of the game if you invested all the points in defence systems you could. Because there aren't many to start with, and they offer a 45% damage reduction maxed out.

And if you do 50% run and gun, you get at most 20% of the experience you would get taking out all enemies by an unarmed takedown (unseen). No bonuses, either.

Then again, you would want those xp first and foremost when going the gun and kill route, because that exposes you to more fire in the first place.

While someone who stealths around everything needs no xp for gun skills or protection, and doesn't need the items or xp rewards for getting to all those otherwise useless areas either. Because he'll never use them, and the available upgrades don't help much.

Health regeneration is not upgradeable and always-on (and far too fast). Which is cool for the stealth players as well, but won't help you if multiple people are shooting at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, I like an even playing field: get hit in the head, and the enemy goes down, or it's game over for me.

Yeah there's no denying that it's very difficult to go run and gun the game. Maybe we could look at that as Adam's augs being unsophisticated compared to DX1 hardware? I've been thinking about how this game is set only about 16 years from now. The level of change to society and the augmentations are a bit much for that time frame I think. Maybe there is some detachment from a desire to make it seem like this is new tech but still make it look all super cool and stylish.

The level of challenge reminds me of Dark Messiah. I get slaughtered in that endlessly regardless of being upgraded at the end.

Back