Deus Ex 3 (PC)

There is very little tangible value to the DX11 mode. I'm hard pressed to notice the difference. I'd say it's just there to help AMD, their sponsor, sell GPUs. A low cost little business decision. Like that in AVP3. It also has some value in pacifying PC gamers who are past tired of DX9 and PS360 visuals.

It would probably have made more sense to use DX10. It would offer a few extras to a much larger group of people. This isn't a good way to sell those AMD DX11 cards though.

This isn't a good way to sell those AMD DX11 cards though.

I agree. It may only be one feature of DX11 but the fact that tesselation in AMD backed games has been barely noticable (this, AVP, Shogun 2) doesn't excatly do anything to dispell the idea that their cards are crap at it. Surely a better balance between virtually invisible and Crysis 2 levels of polygon wastage can be achieved that shows off both manufacturers cards.

I just started, and chose "Give me Deus Ex" as difficulty level. That worked great for the first game ("realistic" difficulty). But now, with the first gunfight, it seems I have to hit the enemies in the head about three times, or empty half a clip in their torso before they go down. While a few glancing hits take me down.

It's insane on "Give me Deus Ex". Heck, it's insane on "Give me a Challenge". I started again because I couldn't get passed the first few firefights on GmDE. You know why? Much as I'm very much liking the game, the guns SUCK.

The machine gun has recoil that's beyond stupid and is useless in 90% of fights.
The shotgun has a kill distance of about 5feet, or about 45feet beyond where you are already dead.
The SEPS gun has never taken down more than 2 people in a group of 8 or more, so that's pointless.
The sniper rifle scope is a) tiny, b) zooms in at place that wasn't in the middle of your view previous (so it takes ages (ok, 1 second) to find your target), c) waves around like you're on a boat. Coupled with the sometimes jerky motion of the characters, so that their head is in 1 place one moment, and to the left the next, means that, again, it becomes a fairly useless weapon if you have to take down more than 1 guy.

So then we come to the pistol/revolver. Held in the hand ROCK SOLID. Seemingly unlimited distance. Does similar damage to the shotgun at said distances. I've taken down a group of 4-5 guys with the pistol, all head shots, then sniped a guy on a railing, above me, at the other end of the room. I gave up trying to kill the first boss with machine gun, shotgun and grenades. I took him down with the revolver in the end. THE PISTOL SHOULD NOT BE THE BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME.

Absolutely insane.

Great game otherwise. :rolleyes:

I just started, and chose "Give me Deus Ex" as difficulty level. That worked great for the first game ("realistic" difficulty). But now, with the first gunfight, it seems I have to hit the enemies in the head about three times, or empty half a clip in their torso before they go down. While a few glancing hits take me down.
That just screams of bad design to me.

I'm honestly not sure what you guys are asking for or why. If you have a DX9-level path using the DX11 API, there's not much to gain from having a DX10-level path unless you've got spare performance for using DX10-only features and that's unlikely to happen on anything below the highest-end DX10 solutions (RV770/GT200).

For real? It seems most of the graphics programmer types around here think there is a lot to gain in DX10. The sentiment generally is that the jump from DX9 -> DX10 is more significant than DX10 -> DX11.

What you're really asking for is a good DX9-level DX11-based rendering path that can tax the vast majority of DX10 GPUs to their limit at its highest settings. That seems like a fairly likely thing to be happening over time as XP finally dies a slow death. Developers have no incentive to be creating a completely separate path based on an outdated API if they don't have to even if it's a console port.

There doesn't seem to be any need for a DX9 path at all these days, whether it's DX9 native or a DX9 downlevel path through DX11.

Then bring back complete, no issue, works-everywhere MSAA :devilish:

Granted, FXAA in this game does do a pretty good job.

DX10+ should allow for better AA support, but developers have to take the issue seriously instead of throwing in a PP filter and calling it a day.

I was really enjoying this game until I hit the first boss, I may have to restart on an easier setting, because I can not figure out how to kill him, sort of pisses me off.
I am more an RPG person, not shooter, but this game sounded like fun, and it was till I got to the boss.

I was really enjoying this game until I hit the first boss, I may have to restart on an easier setting, because I can not figure out how to kill him, sort of pisses me off.
I am more an RPG person, not shooter, but this game sounded like fun, and it was till I got to the boss.
You don't have to restart, you can change the difficulty anytime in game. Hunt around the options. I had to step it down too for the first boss. ;)

Mines and grenades do wonders to the bosses. They are a bit too hard though, especially when the rest of the game can be completed by stealth approch.

OMG, my computer gave me a blue screen for some reason while I was playing and when I rebooted my save games where gone and the only option I have is to select and new game. I can't even see my old saves. There is no way I am going back through another 20+ hours of this game just to get where I was. What a fucking bunch of bullshit, seriously I want to punch someone in the face I am so angry right now. Anybody run into or heard of the same problem with a solution?

Ya first boss dude is tricky. It took me a bunch of tries. He actually does not take that much punishment though. He just dishes out a lot of damage. It is just easy to die in general in the game. There are some boom barrels and fire extinguishers (lob at him). Hide a lot and pop out when he's loading. Grenades of course help.

Also, with regards to recoil and wobble aim, that's Deus Ex game mechanics. Upgrades are needed. I mostly use the pistol.

I am blown away by this game... The city detail is amazing and I love the character interaction .

Ya first boss dude is tricky. It took me a bunch of tries. He actually does not take that much punishment though. He just dishes out a lot of damage. It is just easy to die in general in the game. There are some boom barrels and fire extinguishers (lob at him). Hide a lot and pop out when he's loading. Grenades of course help.
After several epic fails and no rifles/shotguns, I got him ridiculously fast with 2 rockets and 2 frag mines: KABOOM! :D

It's insane on "Give me Deus Ex". Heck, it's insane on "Give me a Challenge". I started again because I couldn't get passed the first few firefights on GmDE. You know why? Much as I'm very much liking the game, the guns SUCK.

The machine gun has recoil that's beyond stupid and is useless in 90% of fights.
The shotgun has a kill distance of about 5feet, or about 45feet beyond where you are already dead.
The SEPS gun has never taken down more than 2 people in a group of 8 or more, so that's pointless.
The sniper rifle scope is a) tiny, b) zooms in at place that wasn't in the middle of your view previous (so it takes ages (ok, 1 second) to find your target), c) waves around like you're on a boat. Coupled with the sometimes jerky motion of the characters, so that their head is in 1 place one moment, and to the left the next, means that, again, it becomes a fairly useless weapon if you have to take down more than 1 guy.

So then we come to the pistol/revolver. Held in the hand ROCK SOLID. Seemingly unlimited distance. Does similar damage to the shotgun at said distances. I've taken down a group of 4-5 guys with the pistol, all head shots, then sniped a guy on a railing, above me, at the other end of the room. I gave up trying to kill the first boss with machine gun, shotgun and grenades. I took him down with the revolver in the end. THE PISTOL SHOULD NOT BE THE BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME.

Absolutely insane.

Great game otherwise. :rolleyes:
I agree.

The default options gave me a black screen, it sometimes crashes when showing a video, the first part of the game (up to the start of the first real mission) simply sucks, stupid minigames!, and it's stupidly hard to take enemies down with regular guns.

The tranquillizer rifle rocks, but the ammo is severely limited (ie: you always have less ammo than enemies). And the pistol is definitely the best gun so far. Stealth is cool, but won't help you against a group of enemies.

I still like it, but it's definitely a shooter first, and everything else second/third. You have to take out all the enemies as well, if you want all the experience. More strategic/tactic gameplay requires a lot of reloading. And you have to kill the bosses. Bosses? In a Deus Ex game? What were they thinking?

tl;dr: Ok game, lots of improvement opportunities. No GOTY, but with some modding it could be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and don't try to delete your old savegames to make room (as there's a limit of 99), because it doesn't work. And if you delete the index, the game thinks you have none.

So, either reuse them a lot, or use the (very slow) in-game delete.

I haven't had a crash on either of the PCs that I've been playing it on. It seems to be pretty solid.

As for the boss fights, I'm not sure I even want to call them that. These are just soldiers with lots of augmentations. They put up a fight unlike the cannon fodder regular people. It's not silly like say a Resident Evil boss with a huge health bar and 3 weak spots to hit. These fights are appropriate I think.

My game of the year choice depends on Skyrim and Rage. But if those suck HR is probably my choice.

I still like it, but it's definitely a shooter first, and everything else second/third. You have to take out all the enemies as well, if you want all the experience.
The 'Smooth Operator' (no alarm) and 'Ghost' (not seen by any enemy) add up pretty quickly. I think it's fairly balanced overall. Some levels are practically impossible as Ghost as you'd expect, but most are really quite fun that way - although when you fail, the reload times can be a bit of an annoyance (apparently the latest patches improve that, that's the problem with playing at launch I guess, heh).

tl;dr: Ok game, lots of improvement opportunities. No GOTY, but with some modding it could be great.
I'd say it's definitely better than just 'Ok', but I agree it's not worth GOTY.

I am really liking the game, have not killed anyone yet, except for the 1st boss.
get rid of the boss fights would make for a better game, in my opinion.

Back