Deus Ex 3 (PC)

Hmmm. Well sound plays a part in stealth but I doubt they are smart enough to follow ductwork noise lol.

As for load times, I think it might be loading in one third of the time of pre-patch w/ vsync. Without vsync it apparently loaded fast.

The visuals vary and aren't exactly groundbreaking but they do impress me at times. A lot of it makes me think of Mass Effect. I wish they pushed the limits and didn't have to build for ancient consoles of course. But hey they couldn't solve the stuttering even at this visual level.

I'm pretty stunned at how much they nailed the feel of the series. These guys studied up.

What a great game. Finished today. Surprisingly faithful to the original with really old school gameplay.

New patch out today that improves load times and helps with the mouse control, I love how they're keeping up with patches so quick!

Great game, can't talk about it since anything could be a spoiler at this point. ;)

As an aside, I tried the game on my freebie bumpgate-but-works-95% 8800GT. Runs well at 1680x1050 with max details for a DX10 card.

Does the game support a DX10 downlevel path?
Not that I've seen. It never says "DirectX 9" anywhere but since ATI SSAA works in the non-DX11 mode it must be DX9. DX10 and 10.1 have been mostly left behind as I suspected would happen. I think we're lucky DX11 gets any attention although it barely does with this game.

That is shit, and shows how much commitment they really have to PC gamers. At least it's apparently a good game in it's own right. I'll but it when it goes on sale.

It's a really good pc port, and a great game, don't let something silly like DX10 stand in your way of getting it.

It's a really good pc port, and a great game, don't let something silly like DX10 stand in your way of getting it.

Bah, I overreacted but I truly am tired of developers halfassing their PC renderers. We should be well past DX9 by now.

This guy's playing a combination of stealth and action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtNHRYJnrU&
Hah! Only thing that could have made this better is if he had actually hacked that computer first and found the e-mail saying the mirror has been available for weeks and the distributor is threatening to get rid of it if they don't pick it up soon (at least that's what it says later in the game). Conspiracies, conspiracies everywhere!

What games support all three DX9, DX10, DX11? I can only think of STALKER.

I actually hope games continue to support DX9 for a while, so I can at least contunue to force supersampling at the driver, to make up for the poor AA in DX10 and 11. I'm kinda sad I can't do it in Just Cause 2 or Battlefield 3.

Then bring back complete, no issue, works-everywhere MSAA :devilish:

Granted, FXAA in this game does do a pretty good job.

The day games are not ported from Xbox 360/PS3 is the day D3D9 dies.

The PC market for relatively high end games is pretty much DX10 compliant at this point. The Steam HW survey supports that idea:
cjhbs.png

And that's from May 2010.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that an excellent game like Deus Ex finally got a sequel after all these years! I'll probably buy it this week, but I might wait for a Sale, given my current backlog of "not-even-installed-once" games.

The DX9 GPUs aren't even supported by the vendors anymore and really haven't been for almost two years I believe. So yeah D3D9 would be gone if it weren't for the fact that the consoles are now the industry.

AMD dropped the DX9 HW regular support in their drivers since Cat 9.3, if my memory serves right. If there's some insentive for the DX9 compatibility, that would be the still sizeable legacy OS user-base out there, albeit rapidly shrinking. Win8 should deliver the final blow.

Only just received the game and enjoying it so far. Had a quick go at completing the first level without killing or stunning any enemies at all which was quite entertaining.

AMD dropped the DX9 HW regular support in their drivers since Cat 9.3, if my memory serves right.
It was Catalyst 10.2 over at AMD. NV claims that the latest drivers support GF7 but I'm unsure if they actually fix anything there anymore.

I have a 6600GT around. Maybe I should try this game on it? ;)

I'm honestly not sure what you guys are asking for or why. If you have a DX9-level path using the DX11 API, there's not much to gain from having a DX10-level path unless you've got spare performance for using DX10-only features and that's unlikely to happen on anything below the highest-end DX10 solutions (RV770/GT200). If you exclude all other DX10 chips for performance reasons, then that's a much much smaller market and it's hard to blame developers for not bothering.

What you're really asking for is a good DX9-level DX11-based rendering path that can tax the vast majority of DX10 GPUs to their limit at its highest settings. That seems like a fairly likely thing to be happening over time as XP finally dies a slow death. Developers have no incentive to be creating a completely separate path based on an outdated API if they don't have to even if it's a console port.

Back