Deus Ex 3 (PC)

Neb

Iron "BEAST" Man
Legend
Seems Deus Ex 3 will be a PC exclusive due to the games complexity. Though it doesn't seem to be set in stone but...

Final Fantasy developer Square Enix is helping out Eidos Montreal with Deus Ex 3, it was revealed today. Specifically, Square Enix is helping Eidos to develop the cutscenes and in-game cinematics.
While it may seem like an unusual partnership, Square Enix is apparently very proud to be working on the Deus Ex franchise and is keen to help Eidos on other IPs that are in production - Thief 4 in particular.
"The people in Tokyo are just so glad to work on it," said Eidos' Stephane D'Astous in a comment to Edge. "This is the first project for them that's a non-Final Fantasy title--they even want to work on Thief 4 too."
Square Enix bought out the UK-based Eidos earlier this year after the company fell on hard times and started looking for buy-out offers. While EA and Ubisoft were other contenders for the ownership of the Deus Ex, Thief and Tomb Raider franchises that Eidos owns, it was Square that closed the deal in the end.
News on Deus Ex 3 itself has been slow over the past few months, with an expect 2009 release date silently sliding out of sight while Eidos continues to work on the title. It has been confirmed that the game is a cyberpunk prequel to the first game though and that it won't be getting a console release due to the complexity of the game.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/25/deus-ex-3-is-eidos-and-square-enix-joint-ef/1

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/200...Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do this I'll buy a copy even if I don't like the game. Good to see a big PC game that isn't a console port. We've lost so many franchises to consoles it's good to see one come back home.

Primarily because it simply isnt economically viable to make a high profile pc exclusive these days (or at least it doesnt appear to be) or perhaps better stated as economically wise. Realistically I havent seen a high profile pc exclusive release since Crysis (and WH) and accounts of whether that title was or wasnt profitable are all over the place. Regardless the the series very quickly went multi-platform. Even if they were able to have a successful and profitable pc exclusive launch it is ridiculous for them not to attempt to delve into the consumer base of at least the 2 HD consoles. It seems likely to me that they may launch first on the pc and then port over to consoles. Given that so much of game development is pc centric they would have a decent road map for porting the title with all of their assets (or the majority of them) already created. These are development houses that are very familiar with console development as well, so its not as if console porting would be a difficult undertaking for them.

Primarily because it simply isnt economically viable to make a high profile pc exclusive these days (or at least it doesnt appear to be) or perhaps better stated as economically wise. Realistically I havent seen a high profile pc exclusive release since Crysis (and WH) and accounts of whether that title was or wasnt profitable are all over the place. Regardless the the series very quickly went multi-platform. Even if they were able to have a successful and profitable pc exclusive launch it is ridiculous for them not to attempt to delve into the consumer base of at least the 2 HD consoles. It seems likely to me that they may launch first on the pc and then port over to consoles. Given that so much of game development is pc centric they would have a decent road map for porting the title with all of their assets (or the majority of them) already created. These are development houses that are very familiar with console development as well, so its not as if console porting would be a difficult undertaking for them.

HD Consoles? I thought that idea already died when realism about their actual resolution in games kicked in.

I actually see it the other way around.. for the past few months we're getting more and more console exclusive titles coming to the PC. Developers and publishers are taking extra time to bring a better product to the PC.

Mainly (imho) because the Consoles are rapidly approaching their EOL status. Where system limitations where a small nuisance at first, they are now limiting artist.

feck.. I don't have enough time to write a reply :/

HD Consoles? I thought that idea already died when realism about their actual resolution in games kicked in.

I actually see it the other way around.. for the past few months we're getting more and more console exclusive titles coming to the PC. Developers and publishers are taking extra time to bring a better product to the PC.

Mainly (imho) because the Consoles are rapidly approaching their EOL status. Where system limitations where a small nuisance at first, they are now limiting artist.

feck.. I don't have enough time to write a reply :/

So, in game development you are telling me that limitations of given hardware have commonly held publishers from taking advantage of a potential userbase consisting of 10s of millions. Im sure this has happened in the past (it may for instance be an issue during hardware generation cycles), but I seriously doubt one could consider it commonplace particularly in the present. Targeting the vanilla pc users configuration should not be that far of a removal from console specs to make the port impossible. Even if it were limiting artists is a small pebble in the road towards obtaining the almighty concept of profitability. Regardless of whether or not titles are or are not appearing on the PC matters little when just about every title we see on the pc these days is console centric. It is also important to remember that many publishers are holding back pc versions so initial console sales are not hampered by pc piracy. Often these extra features are little more than minor upgrades to placate pc consumers. Oddly enough the main reason why we are seeing more console titles coming to the pc is the same reason why this title most likely will see release on the consoles. Which is to take advantage of potential sales and currently there are more potential sales on the console than on the pc.

Sure the consoles may be somewhat limited in their rendition of the title, but that has little to do with whether or not the title ever ends up the consoles as a platform. Looking at the market over the last 4-5 years there is virtually no reason for this title to remain pc centric. The title itself is familiar to many console gamers as well, it should be a reasonable assumption that it would sell well to the console crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU! It annoys me to no end when people compare console graphics to PC graphics and just say, "Well they're both HD".

No, they're not...and they are NOT anywhere in the same ballpark for image quality. People who say that I'm convinced have never played a game on a PC before. :???:

If only people would stop playing PC games at lowest/medium settings and complain it only looks slightly better than other versions...

They're going to have prerendered cut scenes?? That doesn't say much for the graphics engine.....

Thank god, since there isn't a single real-time rendered cut-scene ever released that actually looks good, IMO. :)

RE5's weren't that bad, but they were still rather horrible compared to good CGI pre-rendered (NOT by game engine) cut-scenes.

Regards,
SB

I thought the cutscenes in Crysis and Warhead were effing amazing.

Meh... Still didn't wow me, even compared to the cutscenes from an almost decade old game, Diablo II. And more recently the Warhammer Mark of Chaos cutscenes or hell even the orginal Warhammer: Dawn of War cutscenes are more impressive.

I understand why some games do it. It's cheaper... And in some games it allows you to see how your customized character looks (RE5 for example). Or it's done so you are never pulled out of a game (Half-Life 1 for example). But it never ever looks as good as a well done CGI pre-render, IMO.

Now this isn't to say all CGI pre-rendered cutscene's look good. There's been some pretty bad ones. Bad enough that I can't even remember the games I saw them in. :p

But overall, I'll take pre-rendered CGI over game rendered cutscenes anyday of the week.

Regards,
SB

I Dislike a lot of the pre-rendered cutscenes for one reason: they are video.

Diablo 2's cutscenes would look amazing if the codec used wasn't absolutely terrible. =\ It's not their fault, they had disc space issues to deal with, but still...

Back