Pink speckles over HDMI mean video card death imminent?

Sxotty

Legend
Do pink speckles over HDMI mean video card death imminent? My ATI 1900 did the same over DVI to a LCD then died about a year later. This is a lowly 3x00 series in a HTPC connected to a plasma. (I think it is 3400). I turned the TV off restarted the computer and pressed the HDMI-->DVI adapter into the PC and they (pink crawly speckles) went away, but I am not sure if it could be a connection issue, or if this card too is dying. I have had horrible luck with ATI cards lately arg...I wish they had XFX or one of those producing them earlier when I got these cards.

DVI/HDMI is apparantly relatively sensitive to transmission interference from what I've read. If the issue went away after re-seating your connectors it could very well just have been a bad connection. Or perhaps you've got a low-quality cable and jiggling it a bit made things get better. :)

I will cross my fingers and hope for the best Grall :)

At least in this case it is a cheap card so I cannot be too upset if it dies, but it would still be annoying.

I will cross my fingers and hope for the best Grall :)

At least in this case it is a cheap card so I cannot be too upset if it dies, but it would still be annoying.

Well if it can at least last until 2010 before dying, you'd have a good excuse to buy an Rv810/830 based card. :D

I'm eagerly awaiting those so I can upgrade the 3450 I have in my HTPC.

Regards,
SB

SB by that time (2010) the common IGPs will be good enough I will not even have a discrete part in the HTPC probably. Unless I want to game on it as well, but that hasn't been the case thus far.

Well, I won't be upgrading the rest of my HTPC for at least another 2-4 years, other than possibly a HDD here and there, so IGP is out for me. Basically built the machine to last me a good 4-8 years.

Besides I'm not sure if any IGPs have HDMI + audio over HDMI + bitstreaming.

Regards,
SB

Back