End of Cell for IBM

Yup, Phyre was a re-branding/expansion to make it more catchy sounding. As the functionality matured so to did the name, culminating in its 'relaunch' into the community.

I've always thought and still think that something like XNA could become key when it comes to supporting XNA. All they need to do now is try to copy the Apple App Store as much as possible, and they're all set.

I'm worried that Sony may not realise the importance of this, but am hopeful that they may be able to set up a mixed form of MiniS and PhyreEngine support just for this purpose. But this is definitely an area where the battle can be won or lost, imho, and that is something I don't think too many people realise.

Sony is supposed to roll-out a non-game SDK/API early this year. I sure hope it's not like the gimped PSP minis.

I have just written my first iPhone app (That's why you didn't see me during the past 2 days). It uses the Location Service (CoreLocation), FaceBook and other Internet goodies. Still thinking about Accelerometer and Compass use. Gave the current prototype to my friend's startup to develop the concept further (already have 4 enterprise customers :)). It would certainly be cool if PS3 has an "open" SDK, especially for the new controller system.

Sony is supposed to roll-out a non-game SDK/API early this year. I sure hope it's not like the gimped PSP minis.

I have just written my first iPhone app (That's why you didn't see me during the past 2 days). It uses the Location Service (CoreLocation), FaceBook and other Internet goodies. Still thinking about Accelerometer and Compass use. Gave the current prototype to my friend's startup to develop the concept further (already have 4 enterprise customers :)). It would certainly be cool if PS3 has an "open" SDK, especially for the new controller system.

Hey, I'm just about to start dabbling with that as well (already registered). I was offered an iBook but it was 10.4 and a PowerPC so I couldn't use it. Now I'm being offered one I can at least borrow for 3 weeks to figure out if it's something I want to pursue. Sounds like it is fairly easy to get into yeah? As I expected.

It would be awesome if Sony can pull something off like this, but I'm quite worried at the moment about that, considering that the PSP currently lacks most things that make the iPod/iPhone so attractive for this. Sony may be better off trying their hand at creating something Android based, and maybe even extend their PSN store to support various platforms (Android, PSP, PSN, Windows Mobile, etc.).

After having played around with the iPod Touch now for quite a bit these last ten days, I agree with most people out there that Apple created something really powerful with the App Store and it is definitely something that should be copied and expanded upon as much as possible.

My biggest hope for the future is Android, because the HTC Hero shows me that it is a device that it has the potential to be even better than the iPhone (basically the same but with better multitasking) and its version of the marketplace looks likely to become competitive at least to some extent during the next year, by virtue of it being an open platform and that applications can use each other in a rather nice way (though they better make sure they don't create a new version of dll hell).

I imagine that next year we'll see a larger Apple device that extends its usefulness to more expansive/serious applications and probably has proper multi-tasking, but still has multi-touch and App Store support. But if Android applications pick up and Apple keeps not supporting development on PCs, I think they'll potentially see their marketshare dwindle back to the level that OS/X has now in the PC space.

Hey, I'm just about to start dabbling with that as well (already registered). I was offered an iBook but it was 10.4 and a PowerPC so I couldn't use it. Now I'm being offered one I can at least borrow for 3 weeks to figure out if it's something I want to pursue. Sounds like it is fairly easy to get into yeah? As I expected.

If you have done Cocoa development before, this should be very similar. The last time I did it was 8 years ago. Also there are tons of examples on the net, which is very helpful to avoid bugs.

It would be awesome if Sony can pull something off like this, but I'm quite worried at the moment about that, considering that the PSP currently lacks most things that make the iPod/iPhone so attractive for this. Sony may be better off trying their hand at creating something Android based, and maybe even extend their PSN store to support various platforms (Android, PSP, PSN, Windows Mobile, etc.).

Ah, I won't bet on the PSP for major software change. Sony may benefit more by working on PSP2. ^_^

I feel Blu-ray AppStore may be a missed opportunity for BDA and all involved.

After having played around with the iPod Touch now for quite a bit these last ten days, I agree with most people out there that Apple created something really powerful with the App Store and it is definitely something that should be copied and expanded upon as much as possible.

My biggest hope for the future is Android, because the HTC Hero shows me that it is a device that it has the potential to be even better than the iPhone (basically the same but with better multitasking) and its version of the marketplace looks likely to become competitive at least to some extent during the next year, by virtue of it being an open platform and that applications can use each other in a rather nice way (though they better make sure they don't create a new version of dll hell).

It seems that multitasking is "managed" to save battery life so that the user can have good control of their battery usage. The developers may be over-zealous in this regard. The UI certainly suffers in specific use cases because of the lesser multitasking. For the most part, it's ok though. Waiting for Sony and folks to make better batteries here.

I imagine that next year we'll see a larger Apple device that extends its usefulness to more expansive/serious applications and probably has proper multi-tasking, but still has multi-touch and App Store support. But if Android applications pick up and Apple keeps not supporting development on PCs, I think they'll potentially see their marketshare dwindle back to the level that OS/X has now in the PC space.

Rumors have been rampant regarding iSlate. The AppStore is only a part of the iTunes Store. They should have quite a fair bit to play with compared to the old Mac days. Android will need to do (much) more than low-level technical innovation to make a dent in Apple's momentum. We should see new models and services streaming out of Apple at least once a year.

If you have done Cocoa development before, this should be very similar.

None whatsoever, so I may need some more time than you then. ;)

Ah, I won't bet on the PSP for major software change. Sony may benefit more by working on PSP2. ^_^

Oh yes, definitely. Hope they don't wait too long, but I do feel that they should think about this in a similar manner as the iPhone, having both a Phone capable version and a non-Phone version, whatever they do. But whatever they do I feel they can't be as insular as the iPhone is currently, because they'll probably not catch up soon enough.

It seems that multitasking is "managed" to save battery life so that the user can have good control of their battery usage. The developers may be over-zealous in this regard. The UI certainly suffers in specific use cases because of the lesser multitasking. For the most part, it's ok though. Waiting for Sony and folks to make better batteries here.

Yes, definitely not bad of course, but I wouldn't have minded for instance if they'd made the iPod Touch twice as thick and heavy to give it a tonne more battery-life. Ditto for the iPhone. Then again, apparently these days external batteries are all the rage ... :rolleyes::LOL:

Rumors have been rampant regarding iSlate. The AppStore is only a part of the iTunes Store. They should have quite a fair bit to play with compared to the old Mac days. Android will need to do (much) more than low-level technical innovation to make a dent in Apple's momentum. We should see new models and services streaming out of Apple at least once a year.

Of course. I'm just thinking that there are barriers to development that, if Android manages to overcome them (and it looks to be doing quite well in that regard, because I had a development environment and virtual device running in no-time, though it is surprisingly slow, and it's programming fundamentals seem sound), I don't feel it should be very hard to make the Android Market competitive to the AppStore. But yes of course Apple does have a strong advantage having the popular iTunes store and backing, with its vast video, audio and so on libraries.

But here is where I feel that Android could become a strong competitor, if for instance they could manage to convince Sony to bring the content on their PSN store (video, tv, and soon more audio) to the Android phone for instance through a PSN store application on Android.

Oh yes, definitely. Hope they don't wait too long, but I do feel that they should think about this in a similar manner as the iPhone, having both a Phone capable version and a non-Phone version, whatever they do. But whatever they do I feel they can't be as insular as the iPhone is currently, because they'll probably not catch up soon enough.

Ok, going wildly off topic now.

Sony adopts another solution for their eBook Reader Daily Edition. You can access the Reader store from anywhere in US via AT&T's 3G network.

Would be nice to switch between WiFi access and 3G network like iPhone. Then add a common party system on top. The adhoc Party UI (and XMB Chatroom concept) can be customized to do just that.

But here is where I feel that Android could become a strong competitor, if for instance they could manage to convince Sony to bring the content on their PSN store (video, tv, and soon more audio) to the Android phone for instance through a PSN store application on Android.

Yes, a close partnership between Google and Sony (plus Samsung, Toshiba and others) would be good for the consumers.

Update on the Cell life and development:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/363760/cell_processor_development_hasn_t_stalled_ibm_cto_says/

Development around the original Cell processor hasn't stalled and IBM will continue to develop chips and supply hardware for future gaming consoles, a company executive said.

IBM is working with gaming machine vendors including Nintendo and Sony, said Jai Menon, CTO of IBM's Systems and Technology Group, during an interview Thursday. "We want to stay in the business, we intend to stay in the business," he said.

Sony and Nintendo ... where art thou MS?

At the link the chap says...

I think you'll see [Cell] integrated into our future Power road map. That's the way to think about it as opposed to a separate line -- it'll just get integrated into the next line of things that we do," Menon said. "But certainly, we're working with all of the game folks to provide our capabilities into those next-generation machines.

I realise it doesn't mention MS directly but I'd think MS would be looking far and wide for the best solution. I'm not up to speed with processor news but that would include IBM wouldn't it?

Wouldn´t a PowerPC CPU coupled/combined with a Cell "engine", or whatever that would give BC, be a obvious choice for a PS4.

Interesting, when you think IBM is out of Cell development, they are in, again ;) My guess it wouldnt happen if not for Sony's PS4.

I still think it would be a mistake, Cell isnt cheap to make and its still a pain for devs. All of it cuts into Sony profits and time-to-market releases. Why not to pick one of the Fusion chips (2xBuldozer + Cayman shrink at 22nm would give more power than they would need anyway, even could settle with something less to target lower TDP). It makes much more sense business wise, higher profits, easy to develop, etc. Or Xeon with /int Larrabee - extreme versatility and ease to program for, Intel would probably give chips almost for free to kick-start LB market penetration.

Interesting, when you think IBM is out of Cell development, they are in, again ;) My guess it wouldnt happen if not for Sony's PS4.

I still think it would be a mistake, Cell isnt cheap to make and its still a pain for devs. All of it cuts into Sony profits and time-to-market releases. Why not to pick one of the Fusion chips (2xBuldozer + Cayman shrink at 22nm would give more power than they would need anyway, even could settle with something less to target lower TDP). It makes much more sense business wise, higher profits, easy to develop, etc. Or Xeon with /int Larrabee - extreme versatility and ease to program for, Intel would probably give chips almost for free to kick-start LB market penetration.

Are you willing to lose Backwards Compatibility with all your retail and PSN purchases?

Because I'm not.

I'm willing to bet that Sony (as well as third parties) aren't willing to rewrite all their Libs/Engines given the effort and research that has been put into making them work with Cell.

Yap, the software library is worth a lot of $$$ and time. They even have Java running on the SPUs. If it's hard to program, they can improve their solution in the next iteration.

I think a Sony official mentioned that it's too late to play with Intel for PS4, but they are keen to explore for PS5. The GoogleTV set top box is Intel based anyway. What's lacking in Sony's approach is a long term OS strategy. They need a device OS stack that can be improved across evolving processor architectures.

Are you willing to lose Backwards Compatibility with all your retail and PSN purchases?

Because I'm not.

I'm willing to bet that Sony (as well as third parties) aren't willing to rewrite all their Libs/Engines given the effort and research that has been put into making them work with Cell.
Backward compatibility is doable, didnt PS3 used extra chip for that? And since Libs/Engines from PS2 times were already thrown out with PS3 arrival, why do you think it will never happen again? It actually would make much more sense for future proof to pick tech. which is dominating PC industry and will keep being developed regardless of Sony, and stick to it.This way you will always have backward compatibility, the lowest R&D and fastest tech. available to make nice profits while keeping SKUs affordable for the mass market. Oh, and devs will be more than happy about it, they arent with Cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is we don't know what IBM meant exactly when they said Cell design elements will continue in PowerPC line.

OTOH, it is quite clear that Sony needs to nurture it's own software platform to define it's own unique user experience. Something that is as secure as Cell GameOS since they are a content company, fits the device performance + cost profile and yet taps into existing software libraries. I wonder if Toshiba is involved somehow (again).

Because I'm not.

Agreed

I think the problem is we don't know what IBM meant exactly when they said Cell design elements will continue in PowerPC line.

OTOH, it is quite clear that Sony needs to nurture it's own software platform to define it's own unique user experience. Something that is as secure as Cell GameOS since they are a content company..

Ah, well. Hopefully they'll work with Cell next gen anyway. :LOL:

Yap, they should have taken care of their crypto engine. It seems that they took quite a few shortcuts and now suffer the consequences. The Cell kernel is still viable though.

Back