Quitting smoking

If the patch doesn't help (probably so I guess), you can try it with Champix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

A friend of mine did it and just after 2-3 days he wanted no cigarettes. He took it for 12 weeks as prescribed and was smoke-free for like half a year afeterwards with no side effects. But then he started again, not because he "needed" it but because he was pissed off with his girlfriend and got weak.

There really is no logical reason for why MJ is illegal, while tobacco and alcohol is legal. Aside from politics. Both are classified as much harder drugs.

I smoke rather a lot myself and can sympathize, but you have to look at it from the lawmakers' POV - it's easy to measure alcohol in blod and you can pretty much precisely tell how much the person drank and when. Thus the potential legal issues can be resolved directly. With MJ, you can't say anything since the THC-values in blood are not regular/uniform, the quantity varies severely and you can't say how much someone smoked or when. A cop can't tell if you smoked one am hour ago or yesterday.

Craving for more MJ ends at some point, since it won't make you high anymore after you smoked a lot constantly for a while.

Burns? When i smoke, it only tickles. Only burns when you mix with tobacco.

All studies where participants smoke pure joints, have failed to prove any significant lung damage.

OK that's true, pure weed joints arent so bad. I almost always did a 30/70 tobacco/weed mix.

The physical harm may be inconsequential from a whiff of smoke, but the damage to my otherwise cheery disposition is considerable. I suppose you're one of those people who simply don't GET that there's people who find smokers irritating and obnoxious. If we're going to bring up the freedom argument, I'd say my freedom of not having to breathe in your toxic smoke outweigs your freedom of being allowed to poison other people.

Sure I get it, it's just dumb. You're deciding not to like someone because of a habit, sure it's self destructive but everyone on this planet engages in self destructive activity from time to time so it's not like you command some moral high ground. There's no good reason to not allow smoking in public places as the health impact is completely insignificant, just because some people get irritated is not a good enough reason.

I'd say my freedom of not having to breathe in your toxic smoke outweigs your freedom of being allowed to poison other people.

and does my freedom of not having to breathe in your toxic exhaust outweigh your freedom of being allowed to drive and poison other people

Uh I think I've already became used (tolerance) to Snus :mad:
I got used to cigs within a few months of smoking.
Guess I'll only snus it up a few times a week.

Most of my friends and I only smoke weed like a couple times a month. I do have a couple friends who smoke pretty much everyday and it screwed them up, one guy even had to go to rehab because he would get high everyday and he couldn't study while he was high so he was bombing his classes. These days, the only time I'll take a "drug" is if I'm with other people and we just want to relax (read: do stupid crap).

and congrats ink. Hopefully you completely get over the cravings soon.`

Quit smoking cold turkey nine years ago after smoking for ten years. Used to roll my own, too.
I understand why people smoke. I don't understand why people can't quit.
My father quit smoking after 45 years, which I think is amazing. My mother on the other hand is an inveterate smoker and my younger sister in her twenties unfortunately smokes quite a lot too. Somehow I keep hoping she gets pregnant and quits, but then again that didn't stop my mother during her pregnancies :massive eyeroll:
Normally I don't mind being around smokers, even in enclosed spaces such as bars or clubs. I do absolutely HATE the stink of stale smoke on my clothes and body a couple hours later though.

I quit just over three years ago, after more than 15 years, from 60 (marlborough reds, DIYs, and Luckies, whatever I had to hand) a day to zilch. I used to smoke a lot of weed as well which I much preferred over alcohol or any other psychoactive. I used to mix my own flavours, juicy fruit, purple haze, white widow, and salvia divinorum, and a splash of pollen, being a particular favourite!

I did a course of acupuncture, not that I believe it works; just that it provided an alternative focus. Haven't had a craving, dream, or anything to remind me that I used to smoke.

Both my parent died of smoking related illnesses, in this instance COPD. Not pretty or pleasant to watch. Sadly I'll probably end the same way after the length of time I was smoking for!

I've had two relatives die of smoking-related diseases. My dad's mom walked around with a oxygen tank at the end, lungs destroyed, and still smoked. An Aunt (dad's sister) died of lung cancer and it was just horrible how she wasted away. She was quite a bit younger than my dad too...

Smoking scares me honestly. The end result of long term smoking is almost guaranteed to be horrible in some way. I think that considering the possible consequences is rather motivational, especially if there is first hand experience.

Another incentive is that all your belongings won't acquire a layer of yellow crap and stink. :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit cold turkey 5 years ago, after smoking 20+ for over 8 years, having about 20 cigarettes since then. My "recipe" was a few things:
To have a, to me, good reason for quitting (not just "i really should").
Convince myself I had quit, not that I could still be a smoker.
Trick my mind to focus on something else, to forget that I hadn't had a smoke in a while.
Give myself some goals/rewards. (Big trekking trip after a year, travel to foreign country etc)

As someone said earlier in the thread, if you shift your attention from the cigarettes to something else it is easier. Since it is mostly a psychological addiction, you could try making it into a mind game, just don't have a cigarette in the other end as a reward.

Good luck!

I broke down and started again, but decided to really stop a few weeks ago and have now went 10 days without a single cigarette.

Still have a 21mg nicotine patch on my arm, but that doesn't always stop me from smoking...but I have stopped and I intend to stay that way. :yep2:

Just had to post it somewhere. I've quit a lot of times before, but I'm hoping this time it sticks.

I highly recommend switching to snus to curb your cig cravings, cheaper and it doesn't give you cancer. Based on my limited experience with smoking( a few months), extra strong portions of snus (like Odens, the strongest avail) is much more powerful than cigs so you won't need to supplement your nicotine with a cig or whatever.
www.buysnus.com

You sure snus doesn't give you cancer? From what I have read it has closer to non smoker related levels of cancer in some things(esphoegal I think?) , but higher cancer rates than normal tobacco for other things(pancreatic cancer).

I wouldn't be suprised if it has some negative health effects. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

You sure snus doesn't give you cancer? From what I have read it has closer to non smoker related levels of cancer in some things(esphoegal I think?) , but higher cancer rates than normal tobacco for other things(pancreatic cancer).

I wouldn't be suprised if it has some negative health effects. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
It's the safest form of tobacco actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus#Debate_among_public_health_researchers
Thus far the evidence specifically implicating snus in pancreatic cancer is only suggestive

Hmm doesn't seem that bad. Seems bizarre that it is illegal in most of the EU while cigarettes and other forms are, that seems rather retarded...

Experts say smokeless tobacco increases a persons risk of cancer in the oral cavity, this includes the roof of the mouth, tongue, cheeks, gums, and lips. Also the Lancet in 2007 found users of the product almost double their chances for developing pancreatic cancer. Other studies have shown users of snus have a higher risk for heart disease and diabetes, there are also experts who are currently doing research on adverse affects on reproductive effects in pregnant women

That is from the link, and this is freaking wikipedia where anyone can write what they want...

That is from the link, and this is freaking wikipedia where anyone can write what they want...
That's why you look at the source :rolleyes:
Do you honestly not know how to use wikipedia?
I've done my own research on snus and from what I read there was no proven link between cancer and snus, since the tobacco-specific nitrosamines found is snus is *much* lower than any other form of tobacco, since it's steam cured.
Either way you cannot argue that it isn't safer than cigs.

Back