Quitting smoking

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
As of yesterday, I decided to drop my nastiest vice: Smoking. I've smoked for eleven years and decided it was time to put down the pack, for good. But even a day later, I'm finding my cravings irresistable. The number of people who smoke in my work district is unbelievable, and my own office's corner always packs a crowd. I bought the patch, hoping this time things will go better than the last time I attempted it. A few years ago, I tried the patch and it ended up making me violently ill within an hour of putting it on. So far, things have vastly improved, I'm not feeling sick but I had the oddest dream last night, apparently strange dreams is a side effect of the patch. How have B3D users coped with quitting smoking? Any words of wisdom on the topic?

I smoked for 10 years then quit cold turkey about 5 years ago. It was a horrible month, I snapped at everyone for the smallest thing, generally cranky and sometimes nauseous. I had a woman as incentive to quit, and I think incentive is a big part of quitting. The hardest thing was fellow smokers at work or when drinking with friends. So for the first couple of months I basically removed myself from any social contact where I might encounter smoking.

For me the dreams were crazy, I believe that is a side effect of the nicotine withdrawal from the body rather than the patch itself. It was also nice to finally have regular dreams again after so long without them (or not being able to remember them).

Congratulations. My father tried quitting many times before he managed it, but now he's been "clean" as it were for more than 6 years.

Keep at it, you can do it. :)

I quit smoking recently, I was only smoking about a 1/2 pack a day so I guess it wasn't a major addiction but it still sucked. I used gum, usually about 4 pieces a day to start, then down to abouit 2 pieces then 1, then none.

After you fininally do quit it's awesome. Since my body isn't physically addicited to the drug anymore I have no problem enjoying 4-5 smokes when I go out with friends on weekends, there's no negative effects because you don't crave them the next day then you can go the whole week at work without smoking. So basically it puts you back in control where you can have a smoke when you want to, without feeling like you have to. I would recomend against buying packs though, you can have a few smokes on weekends but if you start smoking daily you run a real risk of getting re-addicted.

The patch is incredibly stupid way to attempt stopping smoking. If you want to quit smoking, getting more nicotine into your body will not help. Also, some of the nicotine patches has so much nicotine that it seems like the producers dont want you to quit smoking at all, just keep buying patches in the attempt to stop. Which is quite logical, looking at how they earn their profits :)

Start working out. Endorphins will make you forget about the joys of nicotine after a couple months.

Or start smoking weed instead ^^

I'm an on and off smoker, usually when I get motivated to train in the Gym I stop smoking immediately and can easily be off cigarettes for a year or more, but if I stop working out, it seems to take a maximum of two weeks before I'm buying smokes again... It's been like that for the last 15 years. It really helps if there is something to motivate you.

I'm smoking currently but I should stop soon, it's just that I busted a disc in my back about a year ago and it makes training somewhat complicated. In my case I would say the smoking is only truly over, when I'm in the coffin.

I quit smoking a while back (about 5 years ago at a guess) by going cold turkey but there was a gradual decline in my smoking habits. I stopped smoking at work, then after meals and finally when I sat at the computer. All of a sudden I had almost given up without realising it.

Still tho, afraid I may start again - the temptation never really goes away. However I mostly detest it when others smoke in close proximity to me.
Fortunately most people I know now do not smoke.

The patch is incredibly stupid way to attempt stopping smoking. If you want to quit smoking, getting more nicotine into your body will not help. Also, some of the nicotine patches has so much nicotine that it seems like the producers dont want you to quit smoking at all, just keep buying patches in the attempt to stop. Which is quite logical, looking at how they earn their profits :)

Start working out. Endorphins will make you forget about the joys of nicotine after a couple months.

Or start smoking weed instead ^^

wrong, my only successful (i.e. six monthes) quitting was thanks to substitutes (I was working out already), but I never did patches, tablets instead. I ate/licked six of them on the first day, then four on the second, two, one, one two days after and.. got lucky that way :)

without substitute there's a barrier around 48 hours that can be extremely painful or even dehumanizing.
of course it may not be needed. depends on you, your current level of addiction and on circumstances. a common case for me may be, in a period with few social interaction and I seldom smoke at the computer, I can go on past the three days barrier but then will do the natural crave.

It's a binary affair, too : if you don't smoke a lot you're still addicted like mad, if you smoke more it's actually easier to bear as your throat is more anesthesied, only way out is a complete stop.

but social situations are annoying for that issue, I often find myself in places or circumstances with 60% smokers or 80%+ smokers :oops:

After you fininally do quit it's awesome. Since my body isn't physically addicited to the drug anymore I have no problem enjoying 4-5 smokes when I go out with friends on weekends
Then you haven't really quit. You're just deluding yourself.

Best way to quit smoking? Never start!

Why the hell did you guys start smoking anyway? I can't imagine even a single one of you didn't know at the time it's a super bad idea to smoke... There's virtually not a single system, organ or tissue in the body that isn't negatively impacted in some way. The tobacco industry is also without a doubt one of the filthiest businesses on this planet, basically full of scumbags and vampires who care nothing for their victims, all they want is money.

Personally I'm a militant anti-smoker and not ashamed of it. I'd absolutely favor corporeal punishment and huge fines for anyone who smokes in public places, anywhere in the vicinity of minors, or supplies tobacco to a minor.

I started smoking because I thought it was cool and my friends were doing it (I still actually think it's pretty cool lol) but I continued to smoke because it is enjoyable, as it does feel nice.

And I don't think I'm deluding myself, I haven't quit entirely but I promise you I have no physical addiction. I go every week without smokes, you can't go a week and still be addicted. Just not possible, I'm in total control of my smoking habits at this point... and I don't believe the health consequences of smoking even a pack a week are significant.

Then you haven't really quit. You're just deluding yourself.

Best way to quit smoking? Never start!

Why the hell did you guys start smoking anyway? I can't imagine even a single one of you didn't know at the time it's a super bad idea to smoke... There's virtually not a single system, organ or tissue in the body that isn't negatively impacted in some way. The tobacco industry is also without a doubt one of the filthiest businesses on this planet, basically full of scumbags and vampires who care nothing for their victims, all they want is money.

Personally I'm a militant anti-smoker and not ashamed of it. I'd absolutely favor corporeal punishment and huge fines for anyone who smokes in public places, anywhere in the vicinity of minors, or supplies tobacco to a minor.

I don't feel the same way as you do. If people wish to put tobacco in their bodies then that is their choice. I disagree with you on corporeal punishment for smoking in public places. That would mean if I smoke my marijuana joint in a public place I could be punished. So nay to those dumb laws.

Though I'd be all for a hike in insurance prices for those who smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, smoke MJ. It would have to be a modest increase, not something outrageous.

If people are to get fines or corporeal punishment for smoking in a public place the same should be applied to the spread and preaching of religious teachings.

Well, thanks for the responses! I'm doing rather well on my third day without a cigarette, although I'm incredibly irritable. I've found that eating a lot of candy helps me with the cravings. Sometimes. I find myself still wandering about my office's smoking corner, socializing with my old friends I met through smoking. I guess I just like being around the scent of it still. I'm impressed with how well I'm doing. I can socialize with people who are smoking and not really get an urge to pester them for a cigarette.

I've been trying to quit for over a decade now, it ain't easy. :???:

I've been 20 hours without a smoke myself now, trying to stretch it out to a full day....

Good luck Ink, hang in there.

I don't feel the same way as you do. If people wish to put tobacco in their bodies then that is their choice.
The problem with that is they put tobacco in MY body as well, and don't even care. It's all ME ME ME with them. If they'd just spend a thought on someone besides themselves for a change, maybe they realize they're a minority and most of us don't want to breathe in their toxic aerosols.

I disagree with you on corporeal punishment for smoking in public places.
Well, yeah, it's a bit over the top perhaps. I could settle with a nice fat fine I suppose. Especially for people who stand around smoking outside the entrance to stores, malls and so on, or at bus stops and the like.

That would mean if I smoke my marijuana joint in a public place I could be punished.
Oh noes, that would mean if I break the law I might get punished! What is the world coming to?!

Seriously man, you smoke dope in public? How stupid is that?!

Ever thought there's people around you who don't want to breathe in the smoke from your reefer? If you've got it so bad you can't rein in your desire for MJ until you get back to your home you should seek out a clinic and get help.

If people are to get fines or corporeal punishment for smoking in a public place the same should be applied to the spread and preaching of religious teachings.
Well, last I checked, spreading religious teachings isn't hazardous to the health of passers-bys - not even those dianetics fuckfaces you sometimes enocounter trying to shove their tin can ohm meters at you.

I really really don't think getting one wiff of tobacco smoke or MJ smoke is going to do anything to you at all..... That's really ridiculous actually, I mean do you think walking behind a truck and getting taking in a bunch of carbon monoxide is better for you? Surely it's far worse. are we going to ban cars from public areas? Seriously man. There's been a couple times when people will walk by me and cough violently in some sort of passive aggressive protest, it's retarded. Maybe if they have asthma it'd be understandable but srsly, 99% of the population isn't going to start convulsing when they take in a tiny amount of cig smoke.

Gee, if one smokes out doors are you really going make a big deal out of it? Last I checked the smoke moves up into the atmosphere and doesn't cling to ground level where it will seek your nostrils out on a personal vendetta.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I'm not about to tell someone they can't smoke it in the open on the street. I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, but I'm not going to make a hissy fit every time somebody lights up in front of me.

Now if they're smoking at a bus stop then they should take the courtesy and maybe stand like 10 feet away so the people at the stop don't have to deal with it. But to not let them smoke a cigarette at all in public? That's ridiculous.

Your suggestion about going to a clinic for help with marijuana is laughable. Did you ever possibly think that maybe I was outside on purpose enjoying the a nice day and "wow, oh no I am so terrible for it" getting high. Yeah, I'll smoke MJ in public in certain places. Yes, a policeman will walk by and sometimes wave and say "be safe" or say "put it out." Why would you assume when I smoke marijuana outside in public it is with many if any other people around that isn't also smoking it? If I'm with a group and there's others around (usually not in the group) then we'll take it elsewhere or put it out. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't like the smell of it. Do they not like the smell because they think it smells bad or because of health reasons? It's quite common to find people smoking weed out in the open in San Francisco. It's not frowned upon, generally accepted, and people don't make a big deal out of it. I know many lawyers, business owners/executives, firemen, teachers, students, white collar, blue collar, etc. that smoke weed.

So no, no need to go to a clinic. That's dumb.

If you really think people should be punished for non harmful (relatively, I'll give you second hand smoke outside even though it's 10 times less harmful than being in a room inside with it) behavior then yes I do think people who solicit religions out on the street should be smacked with big fat fine. I don't think that way though, so I'll call it an annoyance and move on.

Personally I dont give a shit if a person smokes (in fact I encourage it since it increases the likelyhood of them dying earlier, hopefully after theyve just retired)

but to those that think passive smoking doesnt really cause harm
Earlier this month it was announced that heart attack rates fell by about 10% in England in the year after the ban on smoking in public places was introduced in July 2007 - which is more than originally anticipated.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8267523.stm

ok in part this will be due to ppl smoking less but ..

Back