Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

Looking forward to more details, but from the description it sounds good! MSAA + better resolve filter = win. Hopefully you can base it on higher MSAA levels than 2x as well. 4x MSAA is a great place in the quality <-> performance scale.

Looking forward to more details, but from the description it sounds good! MSAA + better resolve filter = win. Hopefully you can base it on higher MSAA levels than 2x as well. 4x MSAA is a great place in the quality <-> performance scale.

TXAA 1 is based on 2x MSAA and TXAA 2 on 4x MSAA probably :)

Doesn't look like a good trade off to me, sorry. The texture blurriness imo makes this completly inadequate for most games except the artisticly cartoony/cell shaded titles. What's the point then of using highly detailed textures/shaders if most of the detail will get blurred and look like texture quality set to medium?
I understand if its used on low/mid end hardware, but even then only on titles where blurriness is not apparent.
Sadly i fear it will be used and abused everywhere(just like depth of field, lens flares, bloom, ambient occlusion...), just because its the "new" thing.

I think Timothy mentioned that TXAA2 just adds temporal super-sampling, not 4xMSAA, but we'll see.

You think that TSSAA would be add same performance overhead jump like 2x to 4x MSAA? Because from performance chart it looks like TXAA 2 cost is similar to 4x MSAA and TXAA 1 as 2x MSAA

In SMAA from what i remember TSSAA added less than 1ms to frame cost

Doesn't look like a good trade off to me, sorry. The texture blurriness imo makes this completly inadequate for most games except the artisticly cartoony/cell shaded titles. What's the point then of using highly detailed textures/shaders if most of the detail will get blurred and look like texture quality set to medium?
I understand if its used on low/mid end hardware, but even then only on titles where blurriness is not apparent.
Sadly i fear it will be used and abused everywhere(just like depth of field, lens flares, bloom, ambient occlusion...), just because its the "new" thing.
When did You get that it blurs textures? New FXAA algorithm doesnt blur textures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these the only images we have to go on?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/22/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-2gb-review/5

Cause something is severely messed up in them... look at how massively there is like depth-of-field style blurring in the MSAA and TXAA images. MSAA never blurs like that - there's some additional filter going on here to such a large extent that I'm willing to just throw out the entire comparison. Will wait for real images...

Are these the only images we have to go on?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/22/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-2gb-review/5

Cause something is severely messed up in them... look at how massively there is like depth-of-field style blurring in the MSAA and TXAA images. MSAA never blurs like that - there's some additional filter going on here to such a large extent that I'm willing to just throw out the entire comparison. Will wait for real images...
The results from MSAA 8x look like what you get when you have a dark object in the foreground and a bright one in the background and the MSSAA resolve is performed before tone mapping. It's just a bad implementation, MSAA 8x should look much better than that. I agree, let's wait for proper images as this looks like a work in progress..

Is this going to be an IHV specific technique or is TXAA something that may work on other DX11 class GPUs?

The results from MSAA 8x look like what you get when you have a dark object in the foreground and a bright one in the background and the MSSAA resolve is performed before tone mapping. It's just a bad implementation, MSAA 8x should look much better than that. I agree, let's wait for proper images as this looks like a work in progress..
It's far worse than that... look on the left of the imagine for instance. The resolve filter is massive - clearly far larger than the single-pixel resolve that a standard MSAA would use. It also varies in size over the image, hence why I said it looks more like depth of field than AA.

It's far worse than that... look on the left of the imagine for instance. The resolve filter is massive - clearly far larger than the single-pixel resolve that a standard MSAA would use. It also varies in size over the image, hence why I said it looks more like depth of field than AA.
Yep, just noticed that. Whatever..I hope we will get a proper comparison with proper implementations of all the methods involved. I guess the source code for it will also be released publicly at some point, unless it requires some secret sauce that won't be exposed to the general public.

Unfortunately it's still a video mostly pictures.

Here is short teaser of TXAA in motion [in poor quality unfortunately ;\]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXk-iXLjiY&t=78

Its technique for every DX 11 card like SMAA.

Ok, i think, i was wrong.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=225583&st=20&p=1386584&#entry1386584

They said here that TXAA is Kepler specific, but i dont really now why it should be.

There are some comments on Timothy's blog

Michael, TXAA is not FXAA 4.0. TXAA uses hardware multi-sampling before the samples are resolved, and FXAA 4.0 was a post process. TXAA integration for a title which already uses MSAA will be a change of the MSAA resolve (for forward shaded, something different for deferred shading), and for the high quality temporal option, a modification to vertex shader projection step to draw frames with a sub-pixel shift.

Draker666, TXAA build specially for GTX 6xx is what I'm finishing up right now. I would suggest sending requests for other versions of TXAA through the standard channels at NVIDIA (specifically through NVIDIA devrel or NVIDIA marketing) as I don't have any influence there.

It looks like its a similar algorithm to SMAA, but its limited to Kepler for now ;\

We seriously need standardization, its getting out hands.

Does TXAA do anything for transparencies? I know it has a temporal supersampling option, but that's not what I mean.

Why haven't we seen any independant comparisons of this yet? (much) greater than 8xMSAA quality at 4x MSAA performance seems like a pretty big deal to me and worthy of far more coverage than it's had. Is it not enabled in the drivers yet or something?

Also, does anyone know if this can be enabled through the control panel or does it need to be implemented by the game itself (which would answer the question above).

I hear FXAA can now be enabled through the driver, we haven't really seen much about that either, I'd be particularly interested in the image quality/performance vs 4xMSAA since I'd like to leave some kind of AA turned on permanently in the CP for all games.

It appears that TXAA resolves subpixel geometry? MLAA and I believe FXAA have problems with this. Seems like we are getting close to SSAA quality!

Timothy answered to some of my questions on the blog

Timothy Lottes
Mar 22, 2012 12:46 PM

Draker666, TXAA build specially for GTX 6xx is what I'm finishing up right now. I would suggest sending requests for other versions of TXAA through the standard channels at NVIDIA (specifically through NVIDIA devrel or NVIDIA marketing) as I don't have any influence there.
Replies

---------
KKRT
Mar 23, 2012 01:28 PM

So You basically are saying that its technique similar to SMAA [just using normal hardware MSAA + post process techniques] and can be done on other cards, but for now its exclusive to Kepler?

---------
Timothy Lottes
Mar 23, 2012 03:59 PM

KKRT, TXAA and SMAA are completely different. TXAA and FXAA are completely different. TXAA has no MLAA component.

---------
KKRT
Mar 24, 2012 03:45 AM

So it doesnt have any postAA edge smoothing component? Interesting.
Still, is TXAA possible on other cards then Kepler? Or does it need some dedicated hardware to work, that for this moment is only included in Kepler cars?

Looking forward to official Nvidia blog post :)

---------
Timothy Lottes
Mar 24, 2012 02:06 PM

I cannot answer all your questions yet. Right, TXAA is not a post process, there is no post edge smoothing like FXAA.

So it doesnt have postAA pass like SMAA or FXAA 4, but it will be probably possible on other gpus.

Back