Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

Oh and you're woefully misinformed if you think FSAA on RSX is somehow free/cheap especially when most modern engines these days are using at least some form of deferred pass for shadows/lighting/particles etc..

Q: Can it be done like this ?
A forward render pass on RSX that is 2XAA and a deferrd pass on SPU's that also has 2xAA on spu's? perhaps a deferrd 1024×540 framebuffer x2aa on spu's for lighting/shadows

I came across this while doing some research:

http://diaryofagraphicsprogrammer.blogspot.com/2009/07/msaa-on-ps3-with-light-pre-pass-on-spu.html

It has a link to a PowerPoint presentation by Matt Swoboda from the PhyreEngine™ Team at SCEE, which discusses exactly what the OP is asking.

It's a very good and interesting presentation, that also discusses other stuff like Depth of Field processing. There are definitely some clear links to the technology used in Uncharted 2 and Killzone, among others.

Edit : From IQ Analysis thread, regarding Saboteur.

Both (PS3 and 360) are 720p. There's a metric ton of compression though the AA on PS3 is rather interesting. No AA on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a technique that needs further explanation! Could a game changer for PS3, if IQ can be achieved that level with SPU cycles.

Who's arranged an interview with Pandemic's chief engineer?!

Well then look no further than here, from the same thread that 2real4tv quoted:

I came across this while doing some research:

http://diaryofagraphicsprogrammer.blogspot.com/2009/07/msaa-on-ps3-with-light-pre-pass-on-spu.html

It has a link to a PowerPoint presentation by Matt Swoboda from the PhyreEngine™ Team at SCEE, which discusses exactly what the OP is asking.

It's a very good and interesting presentation, that also discusses other stuff like Depth of Field processing. There are definitely some clear links to the technology used in Uncharted 2 and Killzone, among others.

Being a technology included in PhyreEngine with example source code, I think we'll see this become very common in the future.

Which still doesn't look that different given the soft look of the game. There's very little aliasing even with it missing in the 360 version.

Which still doesn't look that different given the soft look of the game. There's very little aliasing even with it missing in the 360 version.
It isn't a competition however. I just said ps3 appears more smooth, not '360 jaggies like at hell' :???:

It has nothing to do with competition . I was commenting on the effectiveness of the technique compared to no AA. This game has a softness/blur that might amplify the effectiveness of the AA implementation. Considering the 360 version has little aliasing even with 0 AA I think it could be the case.

I just said ps3 appears more smooth, not '360 jaggies like at hell'
This isn't really necessary. I said nothing at all that would deserve a reply like that.

I'm not seeing a lot of difference. They both look overly soft/blurred.

Yah same here. And maybe the DOF is helping out to. That can help out a lot. For example I sure thought I mananged to do SSAA in Stalker until I noticed the DOF, colors and scene softness where fooling me since AA was off. I even had to put my eye onto monitor to capture it! :eek:

It has nothing to do with competition . I was commenting on the effectiveness of the technique compared to no AA. This game has a softness/blur that might amplify the effectiveness of the AA implementation. Considering the 360 version has little aliasing even with 0 AA I think it could be the case.

This isn't really necessary. I said nothing at all that would deserve a reply like that.
I simply said there is a difference :???: If for you not count ok, is just a 'technical' observation.

Yes, DOF and post-processing does hide a lot, but the closer inspection is rather interesting.

Back