Aspiring to become a Game Developer

nightshade

Wookies love cookies!
Veteran
Hello,

I finished my high school earlier this year and currently I'm doing B.E. in Computer Science from a college in my locale. I want to get into the Game Industry and work as a Programmer. So I just needed some expert consulting as per what should I exactly do to achieve my goals.

Should I discontinue my current studies and start to look for a university abroad..? If its a yes then what universities should I try to look at [Dont mention Full Sail and Digipen as they are outta my budget :smile:] or should I just continue the way it is for now and look for an university after my Graduation is completed and do my Post Graduate there..? Basically what I need is some suggestion and a few guidance as I am confused as heck :rolleyes: ...heh

And I almost forgot, I'm from India.

You should start programming, download the direct X SDKs or whatever you can get your hands on and start doing some demos. Get really comfortable with programming 3D, and with C++, get your degree in comp science and then show your demos to companies in the industry. Hopefully somebody will hire you.

Should I discontinue my current studies and start to look for a university abroad..? If its a yes then what universities should I try to look at

Computer science is fine. It doesn't matter so much what university you go to, because the skills you really need will mostly be gathered through your own personal projects and not so much from the studies.

computer_science_major.PNG

if you're willing to go abroad, feel free to come in France, it's about 180€ a year, but that picture will look like an euphemism.

It that an external algebra on the blackboard in that comic? I'm learning a bit about those maths things lately. Stokes theorem on abstract manifolds, specifically.

Also, program a lot, think about the philosophy of programming (but not too much), don't change code without seriously thinking about the effects (i.e. blindly trying things hoping to fix a bug usually doesn't work), study software patterns/idioms and synthesize something different, learn something other than software (e.g. business, music, art). Games are hard to make, so it's important you program well. Be familiar with everything a game requires, but very good at a few things in particular. Network every month (e.g. professional associations, conferences, power lunches), and be persistent. Developing a website portfolio can help. Be prepared to move to where the jobs are.

I'm not an expert (or employed), so these are just my thoughts. General points really, that could apply to any industry. I don't think there is anything magical about games in particular.

The people I know in the business generally say a technical bachelors is fine, but if you want to go right into R&D and core engine stuff, get a masters (or a kick-ass portfolio). I'm going the masters route myself, but only because there are intellectual pursuits I want to explore further before getting a job (programming language design, math, procedural content generation using learned stylistic patterns, AI and knowledge representation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back