Sony To Hold Hour And A Half Investor/Analyst Meeting On November 19th

How profitable is XBL? Aren't the Gold subscription cards getting discounted often?

Anyways, Sony doesn't have the features or bandwidth to command a subscription for their current level of service.

It's also kind of overkill for a subscription video service. Too expensive than a video setbox should be. If they tried to compete with the Comcasts of the world, which control the pipes and soon, a major network, they will face a lot of roadblocks.

Someone needs to compete with Comcast but not sure Sony is the one to do it.

It's basically pure profit, it's not like people are playing on dedicated servers because of the xbl gold subscriptions are paying for it, more likely than not you're paying XBL gold and mostly playing against people peer-to-peer.

This is the part I don't like:

"Improve profitability in the game business by cost reduction and other measures"

Generally that sort of talk means layoffs.

SOE will probably get gutted.

London studios, I wonder how many people are left who can make non-casual games, Cambridge hasn't done anything big on the PS3. Not sure if any of the European products would justify the current team sizes involved.

I watched the webcast. It has some rather interesting info.

(1) The executives highlighted user experience improvement as a key goal and mentioned 1-2 use cases (e.g., buy one movie and watch on different devices, accessing personal media on a "cloud"). I think this goal is much more important than 3D, since the latter is only a technology. Unfortunately, they didn't demo the use cases. Steve Jobs' presentation works because he always has easy-to-use demoes to illustrate his points. If I need many clicks to get a movie from PS3 to iPod and PSP (cloud or no cloud), then Sony's "buy one movie and watch on different devices" doesn't work. In the analyst presentation, Sony had an opportunity to play a video for 3D tech, and it sounded like just a montage (Useless !).

They have not demonstrated any benefit for 3D yet. This is ironic because at the beginning of their presentation, they claimed that Sony will focus on user experience differences, and no longer drive from tech perspective. I think they will need to demonstrate a strong case for 3D in the near future.

(2) The PS3 slides is also telling since it mentioned 5 key advantages. However they are just bullet points that may not work together to create a real advantage. Wii works because of Wii Sports and great marketing. While Uncharted 2 is a great achievements, it may not connect with the masses because gaming -- in its current form -- is a specialized entertainment. They still have *a lot* to prove for the new controller. The EyePet game has good potential but it may be too shallow to change the landscape.

I'd rather Sony extends the sketch recognition to other applications that everyone needs (As a random example, searching for photos on PCs and Internet using sketches). IMHO, Pranav Mistry's "Sixth Sense" presentation looks more impactful.

(3) Sony will be launching a new phone and a new eBook reader in December. It sounds like both will use the new Sony Online Services (PSN based). Will have to see how they can compete with Apple and Microsoft in those areas. The eBook reader reviewed well against current gen eBooks, but I think Apple and MS will leapfrog all of them with great software and exciting UI. I haven't seen any breakthrough in Sony's eBook and phone yet. Might as well just pool resources on one good idea instead of spreading between phone, eBook reader, and PS3.

I think one of the analysts' questions is spot-on. Introducing new application like 3D or clouded media may not work for the masses (us geeks may love it). Sony should focus on existing needs/issues, articulate and do them best. Instead of saying "media in the cloud", it's really just "easy to use/access". The DRM simplicity may be more important than the cloud (Hear movie execs scream).

So all in all, I think it's still the same Sony. However, they have done a sh*t load of work to simplify the group, and also connect the scattered units. This is by no means an easy task. But I don't think they are "there" yet.

So here's good luck to Kaz and all.

In a very real sense, if we still get this infinite pop-up dialog for every PS3 web browser page after 3 years; then I have less faith in Sony solving a more complex problem. Yes, the dialog may be there for a technical reason, but from a consumer's perspective, it's wrong.

I hope after the presentation, the execs throw away their slides and just work based on their gut feel of what the consumers truly want. They also need to use their own products -- for real -- in order to understand and catch some of these issues.

Are e-readers really such a big market that you'd have all these big competitors fighting for space? Have we even established a market beyond the high-end tech geeks?

We talk of apple entering the market, but it's not like Apple leaps on every gimmick -- they haven't created a netbook yet and I can see a much bigger market there. I don't know why they, or MS would go any further than supporting ebook readers on their handheld devices, which they already do.

Are e-readers really such a big market that you'd have all these big competitors fighting for space? Have we even established a market beyond the high-end tech geeks?

We talk of apple entering the market, but it's not like Apple leaps on every gimmick -- they haven't created a netbook yet and I can see a much bigger market there. I don't know why they, or MS would go any further than supporting ebook readers on their handheld devices, which they already do.

I don't think we have established a market yet but that is why they are all vying now, to be the ones that do establish the market so that people say Kindle as the name for all of the e-readers a la Kleenex or Band-Aid.

Random anecdote: my grandmother has convinced three other "little old ladies" in her building to purchase the Kindle primarily so they could get a readable (font size adjustable) newspaper they all also happen to be avid book readers and since space is at a premium in their tiny one bedrooms they love not having to take up space with books.

Even as a tech geek it wasn't until I held and read the Kindle that I decided I "needed" one, so, it is definitely a tricky task to get people to want one when even seriously early adopters, such as myself, are hesitant. As far as handhelds Kindle on my iPhone is not even close to being as pleasing as using my Kindle, from an eye fatigue perspective or even a general overall comfort perspective but I do like having the sync-ability between the devices.

Well people think eReaders could be the next big thing.

Right now, newspapers are dying and publishing isn't doing that great. But all the magazine and book publishers are working to support every device which comes out because the business isn't that great.

Some pin their hopes on the rumored Apple tablet, because of the iPod and iPhone history.

I can see some appeal, replacing bookshelves full of books with a simple small device. But they're pricing the ebooks higher in many cases than the actual print edition, which is the same mistake the record and movie companies make with their pricing of digital media on par with physical media, despite having drastically lower manufacturing and distribution costs.

That should alienate a lot of people but the convenience and technophilic zeitgeist may make people buy enough of these things. Even if you can't borrow or lend out or buy used eBooks like you can physical books.

A lot of people borrow or go to the library, instead of spending $20 or more for every book they read. Plus these devices are overpriced now for mostly being a single-function device. They're going against the trend of convergence and instead, forcing you to carry a phone and laptop/netbook in addition to a dedicated eReader. Especially when you can get a netbook or some laptops for around the same prices as these eReaders, which will let you surf and view video content as well

The bundled 3G service is overkill. It makes it easy for Amazon to sell you more stuff. But if it only had Wifi, chances are the COGS and price would be lower.

I think reading is a huge part of American's lifestyle (well, especially older gen). If you listen to NPR, they have frequent interviews with authors. If you have kids, your family may visit the library more often.

A networked reading device is not bad for reading forum and up-to-date news. In its more evolved form, the experience may be similar to a portable Internet with "natural UI". Future revisions may have communication features too.

Personally, "3D" reading and communication sound more interesting than 3D movies. e.g., Overlaying news update on top of old newspaper and books, interacting with friends in Cairo in 3D. In movies, I just don't want any interruption or distraction. It's a very focused experience. 3D may improve the immersion but good movies are able to hold my attention anyway. There is less poking around.

These are just my personal opinion. May not apply to you. :)

In a very real sense, if we still get this infinite pop-up dialog for every PS3 web browser page after 3 years

I honestly don't know what people are talking about. I haven't had this pop-up since 2008!

The eReader is definitely a big thing. It's the technology of the display in particular that drives it, lasting tonnes of time longer than your typical iPhone by only requiring power to change pixels (which for book type reading is very efficient), requiring no active light technology (no backlighting = not tiring for the eyes, less power consumption), and then still having the benefits of being able to scale the fonts, etc.

My wife is holding out purely for cost reasons. We'll have one by next Christmas for sure, but possibly sooner. I'm all for everything that's not Kindle, personally, because I like the ePub format that's interoperable between devices, and from the uptake by online stores here in the Netherlands, things are looking good, with almost all big store chains jumping on board and offering both Dutch and English books in ePub format.

Obviously though there's still a risk of piracy here. It's understandable.

I honestly don't know what people are talking about. I haven't had this pop-up since 2008!

It's still there when the page has a Flash or JavaScript program (I think). Go to the GAF forum page, you should see the dialog.

Well people think eReaders could be the next big thing.

Right now, newspapers are dying and publishing isn't doing that great. But all the magazine and book publishers are working to support every device which comes out because the business isn't that great.

Some pin their hopes on the rumored Apple tablet, because of the iPod and iPhone history.

I too would say this. Though, I think what people are expecting with Apple is a full integrated system. A tablet that is a netbook and reader. Access the iTunes, the App store, watch movies, tv, surf the web, read books. Etc.

I can see some appeal, replacing bookshelves full of books with a simple small device. But they're pricing the ebooks higher in many cases than the actual print edition, which is the same mistake the record and movie companies make with their pricing of digital media on par with physical media, despite having drastically lower manufacturing and distribution costs.

That should alienate a lot of people but the convenience and technophilic zeitgeist may make people buy enough of these things. Even if you can't borrow or lend out or buy used eBooks like you can physical books.

A lot of people borrow or go to the library, instead of spending $20 or more for every book they read. Plus these devices are overpriced now for mostly being a single-function device. They're going against the trend of convergence and instead, forcing you to carry a phone and laptop/netbook in addition to a dedicated eReader. Especially when you can get a netbook or some laptops for around the same prices as these eReaders, which will let you surf and view video content as well

Sony's reader, B&N Nook and other readers (except Kindle) allow you to borrow e-books from the library or loan your e-book to a friend. That system is already in place. Pricing is also lower, from what I have seen, with e-books. I wanted to get The Magician and saw the physical book was $15 and the e-book was $10. I have yet to come across an e-book that was more expensive than the original copy.

The bundled 3G service is overkill. It makes it easy for Amazon to sell you more stuff. But if it only had Wifi, chances are the COGS and price would be lower.

This is the first I have ever heard of someone complaining about bundled, free, 3g service. Not everyone is around a wifi connection or remember to sync with their computer to purchase and transfer books. The 3g service allows users to purchase books on the fly or receive newspaper and magazine subscriptions when they are released.

Sure they are all the rage but as competition increases in this market, costs will go down. If you don't want the bells and whistles, you can get Sony's reader for $200. Considering the money I would save on electronic versions of the books and the convenience, I don't think that is a bad price at all.

PS. I am at work and I have been trying to respond for hours, so my points may no longer be valid but I am not wasting this post :D

It's still there when the page has a Flash or JavaScript program (I think). Go to the GAF forum page, you should see the dialog.

Nope, I browse a lot with the PS3 and I'm not getting it. I think a long while ago it started remembering that when you agree to run it, it won't ask again the next time you visit the page. I don't know if this is a setting I enabled, but I'm definitely not getting the warning beyond that very first time.

Hmm, my understanding was that the Nook allowed some limited borrowing only if the publishers allowed it for a given title. Plus it would require the other person also had a Nook or the same eReader.

I think it would be better if they get the price of these things down so low that you can hand your $50 device (containing the book they wanted to borrow) to a friend and not worry too much about it.

I'm not complaining about the 3G service but it's probably not free, it's amortized into the purchase price somehow. Also the 3G transceiver is probably more expensive than a Wifi chip.

I've noticed the retail displays for Sony readers at more than one shop. They had the $199 and $299 models, the main difference being screen size. Then I heard they had the "Daily" version of their bigger eReader at $399, this one including the 3G radio and presumably bundled service.

It's a nice thing to have but you could just as easily download a dozen books and magazines at home before heading out with the eReader. Can't imagine content for this which is so time-sensitive that you can't wait until you have to find a Wifi spot or get home. For those cases, you're probably better off surfing the web for news or some other time-sensitive content.

As for Apple, if they try to support web browsing as well as other rich media besides text, then the battery life is going to be inferior to the dedicated readers. It'll be interesting to see where the market puts more value, features/flexibility vs. battery life. People are used to charging their laptops and now, smart phones on a daily basis. But maybe eReaders will be different.

As for eReaders in general being the savior of the publishing industry, I don't know, if people were reading less, how would a different delivery mechanism make people want to read more? Especially if there's no pricing advantage?

I looked around the Kindle store through the Kindle app. on the iPhone. Just looked for travel books, which you can get for $10-15. But the Kindle selection was limited and the prices were closer to $20 than $10.

Where I think eReaders could bring some excitement to publishing would be to enhance the experience, taking advantage of technology. You have things like annotations, full text search, bookmarkets, etc. already. But maybe some interactive features here and there. Say instead of static maps, have animated maps or a metro route calculator of the type you see on the web sites of many metro systems.

I've noticed the retail displays for Sony readers at more than one shop. They had the $199 and $299 models, the main difference being screen size. Then I heard they had the "Daily" version of their bigger eReader at $399, this one including the 3G radio and presumably bundled service.

It's a nice thing to have but you could just as easily download a dozen books and magazines at home before heading out with the eReader. Can't imagine content for this which is so time-sensitive that you can't wait until you have to find a Wifi spot or get home.
There are many countries and rural locations where 3g internet access is only viable option.They have a flat rate data subscription. But then many people have a bluetooth cell phone that can be used as a 3g modem, so eReader could just as easily have a bluetooth and wlan chip nothing more.

Still there for me too.

I believe that there used to be a security settings option related to this that gave you an option to either automatically run plugins or prompt. If memory serves this option disappeared a number of OS revisions ago but apparently the underlaying feature is still there. So if you had the option set to prompt before (not sure what the default was), there is no way to turn that off or change the behaviour.

I think that is why some folks claim to never see this prompt while others have a miserable web experience because of it. I don't have cable so occasionally use the Canadian comedynetwork.ca site to watch Colbert Report but it is extremely annoying as every few minutes an ad frame triggers the plugin pop-up warning (not to mention that a lot of the site functionality is busted due to the lacking rendering of the PS3 browser).

Cheers

Nope, I browse a lot with the PS3 and I'm not getting it. I think a long while ago it started remembering that when you agree to run it, it won't ask again the next time you visit the page. I don't know if this is a setting I enabled, but I'm definitely not getting the warning beyond that very first time.

wt*, my PS3 wants what your PS3 is having. :p

Hugely. It's almost entirely profit as running costs once you've bought the servers are negligable.

Depends on their server infrastructure for XBLive. Operating costs for a server farm/data center are absolutely huge. Power bill is going to be huge for not only the hardware but the robust cooling system required to keep it from all frying. Likewise bandwidth costs aren't cheap for a large data center. As well maintenance personnel and regularly scheduled replacement/upgrades. You don't usually want to wait for something to fail before replacing it. As well as backup systems, etc...

Factor in that MS isn't charging publishers for bandwidth/storage as Sony does for patches/demos/etc...

Added to that, I'd be surprised if MS received half the amount of card itself after shipping, manufacturing, retailer margins. Retail margins on it are rather large compared to a game title which allows for the sometimes large discounts you see on them from time to time.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
wt*, my PS3 wants what your PS3 is having. :p

Tell me a page where you are now still having this message. Do you still get the message for Youtube? I presume not. ;) Eurogamer? Gametrailers? Give me a specific example that you can confirm right now and I'll see if I still get the message.

Back