Fusion die-shot - 2009 Analyst Day

Some coverage from Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4003/...rt-1-more-details-on-zacateontario-and-fusion

Honestly nothing really new or interesting interesting.

[H] and Tom's also included product numbers:

"Zacate" (18W max)
• AMD E-350 with AMD Radeon™ HD 6310 Graphics (dual-core CPU @ 1.6GHz & dual DX-11 SIMDs @ 500MHz) (NOTE: SIMD = 80x total Vision Engine nano-cores for parallel computer capability and graphics)
• AMD E-240 with AMD Radeon™ HD 6310 Graphics (single-core CPU @ 1.5GHz & dual DX-11 SIMDs @ 500MHz)
"Ontario" (9W max)
• AMD C-50 with AMD Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics (dual-core CPU @ 1.0GHz & dual DX-11 SIMDs @ 280MHz)
• AMD C-30 with AMD Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics (dual-core CPU @ 1.2GHz & dual DX-11 SIMDs @ 280MHz)

The CPU names are just terrible… Couldn't they come up with a brand? Or even use an existing one? I hope that's not final.

"Vision Engine nano-cores" :LOL:

Hmm, surprised that marketing didn't add in an ultra or super in there somewhere: "Ultra-Vision Super Engine nano-cores".

Though considering how much they are pushing the truth (lying) with the whole 80 nano-cores thing, they probably felt they were already pushing the limit.

[H] and Tom's also included product numbers:
Anandtech has them too - and the last one is single-core not dual.
Though the single core 1.5Ghz 18W version looks pretty useless to me. Same TDP but only one core and even lower clock. Granted it will be cheaper but still I can't see any product where you'd want that.
(The 1.2Ghz 9W version IMHO makes more sense, not only does it have higher clock than the dual core at least, but I could imagine for some special purpose devices which are probably more likely to use the 9W versions the second core might not always be needed.)

cheap is useful, and a few wasted watts would be acceptable on a desktop.
I would buy a single core 18W version if it comes on a micro-ATX board with all the connectivity that you can find on many low end motherboards (at least two PCI slots, PS/2, parallel/serial, ethernet, USB2, four SATA, one IDE..)

I'm about to build a cheap and durable multi-usage PC (basic video editing, browsing, documents, local dhcp, dns, samba etc. server) that will run ubuntu 10.04 .
AMD Ontario would be ideal but as it's unrealeased yet, I will build on an Asus board with ddr3 slots and geforce 7025, and either sempron 140 or X2 250.

sempron can be unlocked, so I wouldn't be surprised if ontario single core can be unlocked as well.

cheap is useful, and a few wasted watts would be acceptable on a desktop.
Yes, but I suspect on a desktop system the price difference will be quite marginal, since both cpus will be cheap (one of them just cheaper...). So in the end maybe you'd pay 300$ for the single core and 320$ for the dual core system (though obviously I have no idea of the actual price of the cpus...)

Though the single core 1.5Ghz 18W version looks pretty useless to me. Same TDP but only one core and even lower clock. Granted it will be cheaper but still I can't see any product where you'd want that.

It's not like all CPUs with a TDP of X watts use the same power. The single core will probably be lower power - just not enough to add another TDP number.

It's not like all CPUs with a TDP of X watts use the same power. The single core will probably be lower power - just not enough to add another TDP number.
That's certainly true, and especially since it also has slightly lower clock, so I wouldn't expect it to use higher voltage.
So max power draw might indeed be lower, however those chips are supposed to have very good power management - i.e. if only one core is used both will probably have similar power draw. Only if a task uses both cores I'd expect power draw to be higher a bit for the dual core. Once again though, I don't think for a desktop any power draw difference could matter at all. Both should be perfectly able to be cooled passively.

What I find interesting that AMD also moves to "fix time, flex scope" production. Markets/industry seems to like that. Let's hope they are able to deliver.

Coherent memory pushed to 3rd gen fusion (2013 presumably). :(

LRB 2.0 will get here first if Charlie is right.

"Substantial increases planned in cpu<-->dram bw". Interesting.

On-die and discrete gpu's co-operating, Sounds fun.

Also, is there a link where all the presentations are present?

Something I don't get about AMD strategy is why they are not more agressive with Bobcat. It's their "only" competitive product or at least that they can sell without consistently lowering their margins.

I would have really want them to position a bobcat derivative in the "low" mid-ranges during H1 2011.
Something like 2/3 cores, modern SID units and GPU in the 56xx/66xx range. They would have secured some niches imho.

Intel calls it "tick-tock", Linux world has timed "merge window", PostgreSQL is on yearly cycle etc etc.

That's not how I understand "fix time, flex scope", rather "do it in time even if it doesn't fit the market, twist the market so that it's useful instead".

bobcat.png

Back