Fusion die-shot - 2009 Analyst Day

Dual channel would have..
1) made motherboards bigger and more expensive
2) maybe made the chip pad limited, increasing the die size a lot

So single-channel memory was the right choice for zacate/ontario.
I think additionally it would also have increased power draw a bit, but the other reasons you listed are probably more important.
Still, single-channel ddr3-1333/1066 is quite plenty for the cpu - only the graphics core would really benefit from more I reckon.
FWIW, atom (the newest version) is single-channel ddr3-800. If you look at the current ARM "competition" (ok I'm aware Ontario doesn't fit into a smartphone but is faster) then Ontario is a bandwidth beast. Those chips are just about to transition from 32bit lpddr1 to 32bit lpddr2. The former has less than 1/5 the bandwidth of 64bit ddr3-1066 (at its max frequency, 200Mhz), the latter still only half (max frequency 533Mhz). Tegra 2 for instance is using lpddr2, but I don't know if it can use the max specified frequency of lpddr2.
If it's really that bandwidth limited, it would imho make a lot more sense to support faster ddr3 memory instead of a second channel. After all, even low-voltage ddr3 has been standardized at 1600 speed grade.

That it's only half the framerate says even more about the CPU part than the GPU part.
How? It clearly points to a GPU limitation and says nothing about the CPU part. Obviously a 4-core high clocked i7 is going to be a lot more than twice as fast as 1.6Ghz Zacate CPU wise.

How? It clearly points to a GPU limitation and says nothing about the CPU part. Obviously a 4-core high clocked i7 is going to be a lot more than twice as fast as 1.6Ghz Zacate CPU wise.

Most games are CPU limited (at least to some extent) at 1024x768. I wonder how CPU limited is Batman: AA at that low res. If it's not, then what you see is what you get as far as GPU part goes. If it is, it tells us a few things about how good the CPU part is, since i5 was running at 2.4GHz.

The numbers for B:AA are all over the place, even the 60FPS of anand's shady bridge preview doesn't make sense.

AT - 920@3.33Ghz
1280x1024 Medium : 23FPS
1024x768 Medium : 36FPS

AT - i5-2400 (sandy bridge preview)
1024x768 Low: 60FPS

Legit - 975@3.33Ghz
1280x1024 Very High: 23FPS

OCC - 920@3.6Ghz
1280x1024 Low: 31FPS

FS - i5 661@3.33
1024x768 Medium: 37
1280x1024 Medium: 24

cohz.png

the single core, no GPU variant strikes me as a great CPU to run a home server, or a server of some kind. it may get used in NAS as well as an alternative to Atom.

this is very interesting : rather than building both a fusion and a fusion-less processor, they can just churn out millions of Ontario dies, and use defective (or not) CPU with the IGP walled off for the much lower volume market of headless PC.

AMD Fusion APU Codenamed “Llano” Demonstrated at 6th Annual AMD Technical Forum & Exhibition 2010

Microsoft’s nBody DirectCompute application is shown achieving around 30 GFLOPS
http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/apu-codename-llano-2010oct19.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPwIpJ-QWI&feature=player_embedded What could cost the video processing ?

N-Body Simulation, DirectCompute Performance
AMD Zacate 23 GFLOPS
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3933/amds-zacate-apu-performance-update

:???:

And if somebody likes to analyse structures: http://www.4gamer.net/games/029/G002977/20101019002/screenshot.html?num=006

Is Llano the only Fusion chip which is coming out next year? Surely they need to release a dual core version as well?

Is Llano the only Fusion chip which is coming out next year? Surely they need to release a dual core version as well?

Well there's Ontario/Zacate, of course, but beyond that I don't know whether AMD intends to disable cores on Llano to make a dual-core variant or whether there'll be a specific dual-core die.

There almost certainly will be something, though.

Well there's Ontario/Zacate, of course, but beyond that I don't know whether AMD intends to disable cores on Llano to make a dual-core variant or whether there'll be a specific dual-core die.

There almost certainly will be something, though.

Yea but ontario/zacate are targeted at the low end, they need another chip to replace the current Athlon II X2.

Disabling a quad core part to sell dual cores(in volume) will be mighty expensive im guessing. Intel has a dual and quad core version of Sandy Bridge.

Hmm I can't see much. Though if that's 3 or 6 structures, my bet would be on 3*80 SP. Since AMD said whole chip has between 400-500GFlops that leaves only 300-400GFlops for the gpu. 240 SPs is easily enough for that (at around 700Mhz).

700 mhz should be easily attainable given that they're able to reach 900 mhz on TSMC's current 40nm process. In fact the 55nm 790/890 GX are clocked at 700mhz. I wouldn't be too surprised if they hit a 1 Ghz clock even(Sandy Bridge's GPU goes up to 1350 Mhz, but since they are totally different architectures you cant really compare)

For fudzilla Llano is ~500GFlops

That's nowhere impressive considering 32nm HKMG and SOI above that.
480Flops is simply just 480SP (that was supposed Llano will feature) x 500MHz on RV770/Evergreen 5D architecture. If it would be 770GFlops it would be far more reasonable considering advanced processing node and time frame when it will be released.
In comparison Redwood @775MHz aka. HD5670 has 620GFlops peak and it's bulk 40nm TSMC carry own memory and pwm has max TDP of 64W. So i'd bet that 30W for 800MHz Llano wouldn't be something unreachable

That's nowhere impressive considering 32nm HKMG and SOI above that.
480Flops is simply just 480SP (that was supposed Llano will feature) x 500MHz on RV770/Evergreen 5D architecture. If it would be 770GFlops it would be far more reasonable considering advanced processing node and time frame when it will be released.
Who said anything about 480SP? My bet is on half that - this should still be enough for redwood-like performance. Not as fast as HD5670 (not enough memory bandwidth for that anyway) but similar to HD5550 at least.

Back