PS3 hardware failure

At some point in that PS3's life it got wet, or do you have very sweaty hands? :)

Naw, rust like that is fairly typical in humid environments. I've seen many electronics like that in Japan for instance. I'd imagine someplace like Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philipines, etc. would be potentially worse.

It's not so bad if it's in an air-conditioned room as the air conditioning will remove much of the humidity from the air. If it isn't in an air-conditioned room, however, that's about what I'd expect to see or worse (I've seen worse).

Regards,
SB

So, my PS3 keeps shutting itself off. And runs Dragon's Dogma at an unplayable framerate before locking up. When it shuts itself off I still get the message saying I didn't shut it off properly. And if do the harddrive it offers it finds nothing.

I'm not liking where this going. :cry:

Little update. It's the red flashing light error I'm getting. I've backed up my save games on cloud storage, so those are at least safe. I was hoping the error was being caused by the HHD, but after replacing it I'm still getting the same issue.

I've been reading on the internet and apparently this error happens before getting the yellow light of dead. I'd hate to see that happen. I don't mind replacing hardware after all this time, but this is a 60Gb launch PS3 with backwards compatibility. Can't get that on the newer models.

Bought a new ugly 160 GB PS3 slim. Replaced it with a 250 GB drive. And transferred everything over, which is as quick and painless as pulling out fingernails.

At least everything was transferred, including the copy protected saves.

I got my new 50% off ps3 too. Its a slim and its almost unrecognisable as a ps3 :oops: ! The phat one looked like a work of art, this slim guy looks like a regular cheap DVD player :( !

Anyways, atleast I am back to ps3 gaming :p......but I don't look at it lovingly anymore, its just bland and ugly, not worthy of the playstation name ! But, OTOH, kudos for making it so much more compact and power efficient !

I got my new 50% off ps3 too. Its a slim and its almost unrecognisable as a ps3 :oops: ! The phat one looked like a work of art, this slim guy looks like a regular cheap DVD player :( !

Anyways, atleast I am back to ps3 gaming :p......but I don't look at it lovingly anymore, its just bland and ugly, not worthy of the playstation name ! But, OTOH, kudos for making it so much more compact and power efficient !

Sony usually designs such nice looking hardware. I'm not sure what happened with the slim. The phat had a hightech look about it with it's shiny finish, and touch sensitive buttons. It's like they just didn't put any effort in designing the slim.

I do like that it's more power efficient and a bit quieter.

Sony usually designs such nice looking hardware. I'm not sure what happened with the slim. The phat had a hightech look about it with it's shiny finish, and touch sensitive buttons. It's like they just didn't put any effort in designing the slim.

I do like that it's more power efficient and a bit quieter.

Yeah, looks like they did not want to invest anymore in the design part and just wanted to get the hardware out. Considering how much losses Sony has been making, its understandable. But I still miss my phat ps3 !

As for quiter: Yes ! Its a LOT quiter ! Especially with our indan summers hitting 44degree celsius, the old one used to get very loud, but I can hardly hear any noise from this slim one. It also makes me wonder if it is colled well enough to survive our summers which is exceptionally hotter this year .

It is the ugliest console since the American version of the Nintendo Entertainment System isn't it ;)

A friend of mine bought a skin for his slim and to me it made it look loads better. I think it was this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-Mons..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1338544189&sr=1-2 but if not there are loads of different ones out there in the InternetLand.

Maybe worth looking into?

I don't like skins usually, but had a superbly wonderful KZ2 skin on my phat one. The shade of military green used in it was something totally unique. Looks like I will have to find an equally worthy one for the new ps3.

Do you guys have any personal favourites ? Maybe a cool MGS skin or something ?

So my ps3 died and we're looking at getting a slim. Is there any remote chance i could take my 320gb hdd from the dead ps3 , put it in a new slim, and let it sort itself out?

Well after 4+ years of service my 80gb fat just kicked the bucket this afternoon while using the web browser. Red blinking light immediately on startup, doesn't matter if the drive is present or not so I am assuming that means something has fried.

So that means I have now had 3 out of 4 of my PS3s fail (2 of those slims that failed almost immediately after purchase). Can't say I am thrilled about a 75% fail rate!

Cheers

I stripped mine down to its constituent parts last week, both the CELL and the RSX are amazingly large dies when you look at them.

PS3MB_cropped.jpg

Removed the heat sink and cleaned all the old thermal paste off which had started to degrade. I replaced that with Arctic Silver and rebuilt it. Since then it's actually running noticeably quieter.

And I've had zero freezes during games which it had been happening on an irregular basis.

Perhaps there is still life left in your 80Gb if the thermal paste was replaced?

Once you take off the heat spreaders they aren't as big. And usually the problem is cracked solder joints on the CPU or GPU. Reflowing the solder with a hot air gun will often fix it.

My original March 2007 launch PS3 finally died this week. It did me good service for 7 years of being on basically all the time, but after I got the PS4 and started turning it off when I wasn't using it, the stress of the thermal cycling seems to have done it in.

Thanks for seeing me through to the next gen, Sony.

Back