PS3 hardware failure

There's no easier way through Sony's website? You got to be fucking kidding me. What about deactivating a broken (or stolen) PS3 unit? :devilish:

Thanks for the links Patsu..

Off-topic but related, for those with both phats and slims, how are the physical buttons on the Slim console, and how would you compare them both aesthetically period?

Yuck! I've used a Slim and the buttons are a real let-down after the classyness of the original. Purely utilitarian.

Conversely if we owned (say) 3 Xbox360s I believe I'd need to buy 3 copies of any DLC - one for each machine should I want to play on either machine!

No. You would just redownload the content to each system. However, you would have to be logged in to Live to use it. No other profile could use the content unless it was on the original machine that bought the content.

Tommy McClain

Off-topic but related, for those with both phats and slims, how are the physical buttons on the Slim console, and how would you compare them both aesthetically period?

Well I have both PS3's too, but although they feel and look differently I am indifferent between the two. They both feel and look fine. It is all up to personal preference.

I like the slim, the buttons have a good feel and when you press them things happen, with the old model it often felt like the machine was fighting back a little :smile: The slim is not really that small, but it certainly looks much smaller when you look directly at it from the couch, as its height is so much lower. While the old model does look a bit more expensive, it also looks older with all its bulkiness.

The slim has the LED indicators built into the buttons and are also backlit, which makes them look nicer than the fat's buttons IMO.

HI guys,

Hi,

I have very recently bought a Playstation 3. The Playstation 3 is connected to a Samsung B650 TV through HDMI 1.3 certified cable. Sometimes when I turn the console on, I do not get any picture and I have to turn it off and on again to get a picture. It does not happen very often, but it has happened a couple of times now in a week, and I rarely turn it on. I have also enabled HDMI-CEC through the console and tv. And when this happens, and I turn the tv off, the Playstation 3 is also turned off. So it seems that there is some kind of communication between them? This never happened with my Xbox 360, although I bellieve the Xbox 360 does not have HDCP through HDMI? Is this a classic HDCP issue or something else?

Thanks in advance!

It is one week old. My Xbox 360 works fine. The cable is fine.

When this error happens, I turn the Playstation 3 on, the tv will go to that hdmi input. It will sense it. But the picture is all black. Ohh yah it also says no signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
With HDMI CEC enabled, the PS3 and the TV can be turned off together. This is expected.

The out-of-sync TV problem you encountered sounds like a HDMI sync problem. Perhaps others can comment in more details.

Anyone experiencing popping sounds (not very loud, but still noticeable) from the tv speakers when the PS3 changes resolution via HDMI? Never experienced this with the Xbox 360 (altough it is hard for me to notice as the hdmi input is greyed out until it gets the signal from the xbox 360). TV is Samsung 40B650.

Haha . I think someone is playing a joke on me. I decided to get a new ps3 since my old one is all screwed up. I got a ps3 slim and I plugged it in and ......................................................................................NOthing !

Ll so back it went. I got lucky though and some kid was trading in his 60 gig launch unit at gamestop for cash. They were going to give him $80 bucks cash for it. I gave him $100 and grabbed it up. The guy wanted to buy an ipad. I almost bought his psp go also for the same price. But decided to just hold on to my psp 2000.

I tested the 60 gig and it works just fine. So I'm a very very happy camper !

So I was lurking gamestop forums today and ran into this gem. Apparently you can swap your "fat" ps3 with a slim for 120$.... This is great for me as my PS3 just died from YLOD recently and I'll probably see if I can get this deal too.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if you have a dead PS3 hanging around.

Back