PS3 hardware failure

SFIV is probably still copy protected to try to prevent save game hacking. As I think unlocks from single player are useable online?

Regards,
SB

SFIV is probably still copy protected to try to prevent save game hacking. As I think unlocks from single player are useable online?

Regards,
SB

See with games like RE5, the saves are restricted to that one particular account so copying for another player's use isn't possible at all. It's just a backup option.

I must say I am quite disturbed by the fact that some games do not allow the backing up of game-saves. The only other way I could think of to back-up all game-saves is through the "backup utility" under settings - however, to use that, I would need a very large external harddrive or delete a lot of video/picture/music/game content to free up space (I've got a 160GB harddrive pretty much filled up with data in my PS3).

Fortunately external drives are pretty cheap. This is what I use, but I do vaguely remember there being an option to choose between a full backup and just the system data and gamesave stuff? Not sure about this though.

As for cleaning, just use a vacuum cleaner every now and then, that should do the trick quite nicely and prevent problems from building up, even if you have pets (we have three cats)

See with games like RE5, the saves are restricted to that one particular account so copying for another player's use isn't possible at all. It's just a backup option.

Wasn't talking about copying for other players but hacking the save file to unlock features you haven't actually unlocked in game. Copying someone else's save file would accomplish something similar obviously, but isn't a reason to make it unable to backup.

Regards,
SB

Well, learning from others past experience on losing game-saves, I decided to finally get some backups done over the weekend.

To my surprise however, I had to note that quite a few games have copy-prohibited game-saves that can not be backuped to a external USB/Harddrive device. Here are some examples:

KillZone 2
Tekken 5
Tomb Raider: Underworld

I think there are more, but over a list of about 50 titles and over 200 game saves (thank you WipeOut for making about 70 game saves!), I didn't have the time nor patience to write them down.

I must say I am quite disturbed by the fact that some games do not allow the backing up of game-saves. The only other way I could think of to back-up all game-saves is through the "backup utility" under settings - however, to use that, I would need a very large external harddrive or delete a lot of video/picture/music/game content to free up space (I've got a 160GB harddrive pretty much filled up with data in my PS3).
Actually there is no problem to transfer your progress in Wipeout HD. There is one main file with all your progress and statistics. The others are Ghost/record related saves.
Transfer that main save and you wont notice that you are continuing on another console. Everything is intact

Can I join the brotherhood of The YLOD? Yes? Cool. A little over 2 weeks after the third year I've had the 20GB core, it gave up with a disc inside. I took the disc out manually, then did the temp solder reflow fix with the heat gun to backup my data. The disc sensor (to insert the disc) for the BD drive no longer works too, but I'm wondering if it's a more serious problem since there were two power surges about 10 minutes before all this unfolded.

I don't care about BC to be honest..well I do but not PS2 BC anyway since both video and audio output aren't as good as the PS1 BC (they had to improve that over time since they're selling the games on PSN). I think $170 CAD is a bit much to get a refurb, so I'm just going to wait for my income tax return and get a slim.

Like some of you here, it's quite ironic that Sony's less reliable console never gave me problems while this happened. It's also the first time I had a game console that completely malfunctioned. Even my 360 woes were minor.

I'm getting a feeling that as time goes on, once PS3 has reach a similar lifespan to PS2, we'll end up seeing the PS2 gradually moving to be more reliable as more PS3's fail over time from the use of lead free solder. IE - The PS3 will have much better short term reliability compared to the PS2.

My PS2 (amazingly a launch unit that did not fail) is still going strong and providing my nephews and neices a lot of entertainment when they aren't using the Wii when they visit. :)

Regards,
SB

I'm getting a feeling that as time goes on, once PS3 has reach a similar lifespan to PS2, we'll end up seeing the PS2 gradually moving to be more reliable as more PS3's fail over time from the use of lead free solder. IE - The PS3 will have much better short term reliability compared to the PS2.

Regards,
SB

Tell me about it. I have a working Japanese launch unit that was essentially an arcade machine replacement for Tekken TT during the summer of 2000.

It's quite ironic though considering how well designed the PS3 hardware really is, but IT IS the law to use lead-free solder.

another one bites the dust....Iam not happy $1100 in gaming consoles in the past 3 years.

If there is one thing I want next gen, more than anything else, it's better reliability. My bro has fixed and replaced his PS3. I've replaced my 360. I have an original 60gig PS3 that I'm afraid will yellow light on me. It really sucks. Next gen, they'll have had their first go at lead free under their belts, so I'm hoping they'll have better designs to deal with the thermals.

If there is one thing I want next gen, more than anything else, it's better reliability. My bro has fixed and replaced his PS3. I've replaced my 360. I have an original 60gig PS3 that I'm afraid will yellow light on me. It really sucks. Next gen, they'll have had their first go at lead free under their belts, so I'm hoping they'll have better designs to deal with the thermals.

I have my doubts about whether lead free will ever be as reliable over a long period of hot/cold cycles as leaded solder.

But there's no doubt that they should at least be somewhat more reliable hopefully.

Regards,
SB

I have my doubts about whether lead free will ever be as reliable over a long period of hot/cold cycles as leaded solder.

But there's no doubt that they should at least be somewhat more reliable hopefully.

Regards,
SB

There is no reason that lead free solder should be as reliable, or close to as reliable as lead-tin solder given some time and experience for the manufacturers. It'll take time for the manufacturers to improve their process, but reliability will improve dramatically.

Want really hurts is how it looks practically brand new shiny and all, knowing that it is worthless piece of equipment. I brought it during xmas 06, it is the 80gig BC unit...I really don't want to give it up so I am thinking about sending it in for repair. I really don't want a Slim I like the Phat better plus it had more features. Has anyone had a good experience with a repaired unit?

I don't want to try to repair it my self went down that road with the 360 only to open it up and then Microsoft later started to honor the E74 error. My other question is why so much for the repair it is almost like they are trying to profit from it. I doubt the part would cost them that much and the time to repair it can't be that long. Well here is hoping they expand their warranty like Microsoft but I am not holding my breath.

There is no reason that lead free solder should be as reliable, or close to as reliable as lead-tin solder given some time and experience for the manufacturers. It'll take time for the manufacturers to improve their process, but reliability will improve dramatically.

I guess you meant "no reason it shouldn't be as reliable..". It's been a game of roulette with PS3's. I know some people who use their units far more that I did, and don't take care of them as well, yet no problems since the US launch.

It's actually almost sad in its case, since it's extremely well designed and hindered by the inadequacies of lead free solder.

At least it's generally far more reliable than the PS2, but who knows how it'll hold up in the long run. The few slim YLOD I heard off were manufacturing defects when they first hit stores, so we'll see.

At least it's generally far more reliable than the PS2, but who knows how it'll hold up in the long run. The few slim YLOD I heard off were manufacturing defects when they first hit stores, so we'll see.

I'm not sure if that'll hold up over the life of the console. PS2 manufacturing defects were ironed out fairly early. So it (similar to the X360) was frontloaded in it's failures. Over the long haul though PS2 was really quite reliable after that first couple batches.

With PS3, we seem to be seeing a case where we're now seeing an increasing rate of failures as time goes on. Then again, hard to tell, as all there is to go by is forum reports. It's far enough into the life that we won't have any in depth studies done like we did early on with the X360 RROD.

Regards,
SB

With PS3, we seem to be seeing a case where we're now seeing an increasing rate of failures as time goes on. Then again, hard to tell, as all there is to go by is forum reports. It's far enough into the life that we won't have any in depth studies done like we did early on with the X360 RROD.

I think the best way to get a feel for the console failure rate is at dev studios actually. The dev kits there are in use 24/7, 365 days a year so they effectively get accelerated wear and tear. Early 360's broke en masse, I remember an entire wall built with broken 360's when I worked with 2K way back, it was quite shocking to see that many all stacked like bricks waiting to be returned. But that failure rate dropped dramatically over time. PS3's broke rarely early on (the test kits that look like retail PS3's), but they have continued to break at a relatively steady rate to where given enough time eventually they all broke (the early models). As far as I could tell, all launch models of both machines are doomed to eventual failure, it just takes PS3's much longer before failure. I presume this has all been fixed now since anytime there were kit failures at the last place I was at they were usually older models.

I think the best way to get a feel for the console failure rate is at dev studios actually. The dev kits there are in use 24/7, 365 days a year so they effectively get accelerated wear and tear. Early 360's broke en masse, I remember an entire wall built with broken 360's when I worked with 2K way back, it was quite shocking to see that many all stacked like bricks waiting to be returned. But that failure rate dropped dramatically over time. PS3's broke rarely early on (the test kits that look like retail PS3's), but they have continued to break at a relatively steady rate to where given enough time eventually they all broke (the early models). As far as I could tell, all launch models of both machines are doomed to eventual failure, it just takes PS3's much longer before failure. I presume this has all been fixed now since anytime there were kit failures at the last place I was at they were usually older models.

Its weird how people who jump in early and pay the price of a new system gets fisted in the end

Back