PS3 hardware failure

Goods cost them more though, which I guess roll in extended warranty costs into the price of ownership. 5 years is a long time for cutting-edge, hot CE goods! There must be a lot of breakdowns from early adopters.

Goods cost them more though, which I guess roll in extended warranty costs into the price of ownership. 5 years is a long time for cutting-edge, hot CE goods! There must be a lot of breakdowns from early adopters.

Good point, makes me wonder if the 360 is also classified as a computer. :cool:

Still I think the current PS3 prices are pretty much inline with the recommended EU prices, the initial Slim prices were actually considerably cheaper than the Swedish prices, which upset me at the time, but they are now pretty much on parity.

Did you ask him what was wrong ?
Yeah. It is the most common issue for most hardware broken PS3's. Something about the chips being overheat or something. It reminded me of the same thing that causes the RROD

If your in the states buy the ps3 at costco. 90 day no questions ask return policy + 2 year free warrenty and if you use american express (remember pay off your debt every month) you get another year added to your warrenty (though this is true where ever u use the american express card)

Mine died yesterday. Heard a cracking/popping sound and just dead. Phoned Sony today and told £150 for a repair, which feels somewhat excessive, so am contemplating whether to bother, or pick up a slim next year sometime on a deal.

Mine died yesterday. Heard a cracking/popping sound and just dead. Phoned Sony today and told £150 for a repair, which feels somewhat excessive, so am contemplating whether to bother, or pick up a slim next year sometime on a deal.

I'd go with the slim. Can't cost much more than that, can it? Maybe it depends on what the actual failure is. I'm very skeptical of rework quality on PCBs after attempting some lead free soldering of my own. I'd much rather get a new unit than a part that's been reflowed. If the repair was much cheaper, I might go that route, but if you're repair to save 10% or something, I'd go with the peace of mind of a new warranty.

Can't cost much more than that, can it?

£249 at the mo, though I've seen them occasionally for £229.

However, I can wait. I have a 360 on which I have Rock Band/Guitar Hero for the festive period, and the only games which are must buys for me in the first few months next year are SC:Conviction and Mass Effect 2.

Once I see a slim for £199, I'll pick it up. If that's in 2 weeks or 4 months, it doesn't really bother me that much.

I'm a bit pissed off though, as this is the first console that's ever died on me :mad:

Well, it just so happens that my mates PS3 decided to go on christmas holidays and strikes with the RLOD. :(

Does anyone here know a bit more on where the RLOD comes from? Seems to me it's the YLOD that is the one that is fixable from home (if you have the necessary tools), but haven't found much on the RLOD.

Nesh, was yours a RLOD? What exactly was broken and how was it fixed? Any intel? I assume you had the same thing, as my mate said something about a few beeps and the flashing of the red light...

Nesh, was yours a RLOD?

RLOD it was for me. The Sony tech rep said it was likely related to "power failure", which I took to mean issues with the actual power supply itself. He then stated that it was not necessarily that, but that it could mean a general power failure (whatever that means).

Anyway, I'm going through the motions of trying to get it fixed for free, but I don't hold out much hope on that one. If not, I'm probably going to risk spending £20 for a 3rd party PSU and try and fix it myself. The sound I heard (in retrospect) is kinda like a PSU going pop.

AFAIK the PS3 lights don't indicate any specific problem, so a YLOD will need one of a number of fixes (optical drive, HDD, whatever). I wouldn't trust any home fixes unless you're an experienced engineer!

I had a broken PS3 myself a few days ago.
Bought it from someone for 30 Euros.
60GB BC PAL edition, wouldn't read blu-rays anymore. DVDs or PS2 games were just fine.
So I opened it up, cleaned the lens, had some trouble reassembling the BD-drive, looked up a video on youtube on how to close the drive, and did that. A few minutes later I was watching "The Dark knight" on blu-ray.
If you know what part is giving you the trouble, you can repair it yourself trust me.

Sure, but the lights don't tell you what's wrong. You couldn't buy a YLOD PS3 off eBay for €30 and be sure you could clean the lens to get it fully working again.

Sure, but the lights don't tell you what's wrong. You couldn't buy a YLOD PS3 off eBay for €30 and be sure you could clean the lens to get it fully working again.

True, but I meant: if your PS3 breaks down, you can always repair it yourself. Instead of paying sony 200 us dollars.
The worst case scenario would be a motherboard failure, but even in that case, you could just replace it. The ifixit.com guides show you how to correctly disassemble it, and when reversed you can put it back together again.
You need some working spare parts to figure out the defect though! (I think that is what you meant?)

My UK Launch PS3 died today in the iddle of a R&C:ACiT play session. :cry:

Machine light comes on, then goes yellow and then continuously flashes red. I called Sony but since my machine is out of Warranty... and my GameCare had also run out. :cry:

On that and the thougt of xmas holidays without my ps3, i took my 360,and it's games, additional controller and traded it in to buy a silm. Since I've not really touched my 360 in a long long time and had been intending to sell it. I had really hoped it would accept my 250GB hdd and allow me to keep all my saves, installs, accounts, videos, music etc... Sadly, not the case :cry: I've spent the last 3 hours downloading my PS3 games (about 30 odd i think) over my 10mb internet connection, but am very sad about my saves. i'll need to make backups i think from now on.

My main issue now is getting the disc from my old PS3, I've seen tutorials on removing the cover to it all to be able to get the disc out, but will call Sony again tomorrow and see if they can do anything nice for me at this festive time of year..

I am sorely missing my R&C, I was right near the end too, and had been ruthlessly collecting all the collectables. I miss when my systems were very reliable - this is my first system to ever die on me since my Commodore 64, not super pleased. 360 got the 3 red lights twice but a simple reboot fixed those.

Edit: Called Sony who wanted me to send it in for repair (£128) to get the disc out, although did suggest I could open it myself since it out of warranty, but they do not advise it. I have since opened my machine and recovered the disc, the PS3 is still yellow lighting, but i did nothing to try and fix it. Glad to have my game back.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK the PS3 lights don't indicate any specific problem, so a YLOD will need one of a number of fixes (optical drive, HDD, whatever). I wouldn't trust any home fixes unless you're an experienced engineer!

Optical drive issues don't give you that sign, the drive just stop reading certain disks. In that case, replacing the entire drive itself is VERY easy and would cost you about $80 or so.

YLOD from the few one I've repaired have been due to overheating typically caused by a clogged heat sink with dust or poor thermal conduction due to the cheap thermal grease used. Moreso than often, it's the former.

RLOD? Not sure, but it's likely something minor as well. The real defects reported so far have been BD-ROM drive related.

You need some working spare parts to figure out the defect though! (I think that is what you meant?)
Well, only really saying diagnosis needs more than a light on the front. Some fixes are doable yourself. My old PS2 had a drive failure, but from the noises I guessed it was mechancial and opened her up (outside of warranty) and found it just needed a spot of grease on the drive rails. I just want to offer a warning voice that if you see a YLOD on your PS3, that doesn't mean the solution is to fix/replace the drive or reball the solder joints! It may be any of a number of a things (according to Sony from that Watchdog 'expo'). YLOD only shows you something is wrong, and you've then got to find out what and sort it out. Spare parts is very useful for this, but I don't suppose most people have a PS3 lying around free. :p

...YLOD only shows you something is wrong, and you've then got to find out what and sort it out.

This is what Sony tech support told me, it's a miscellaneous fault and could be any number fo things. The only thing i'd done is swap the HDD with my older one incase it was a HDD fault.

I've gone through two PS3s, a 60 GB launch unit and an 80 GB unit. When the 80 GB failed, I paid to have it repaired out of warranty, since that was the only way to maintain backwards compatibility. Meanwhile, my launch PS2 is still going strong.

I've gone through two PS3s, a 60 GB launch unit and an 80 GB unit. When the 80 GB failed, I paid to have it repaired out of warranty, since that was the only way to maintain backwards compatibility. Meanwhile, my launch PS2 is still going strong.

Did they just give you the 3 month warranty on it once it's repaired/swapped or were you able to get a year from them?

Back