[PS3] Modnation Racers

The devs earlier this week said they were in the process of fixing the framerate. Was on the Psblog. Aside from that I thinks it's not bad. Lightings very nice and seems content heavy. Fingers crossed they pull it out of the bag.

I don't think the point of the beta is to show off the graphics or frame rate, the build (as I understand it) is like nine month from release. I think they are using the beta for feedback about content creation and sharing, networking, racing mechanics, etc.. The polish is the last step.

They do need to show that they're on the road to improving it, though, since everyone and their brother has been talking about framerate (and it really is bad).

I dont think betas in this fashion are a very good idea at all. Dont release an open beta like this until your game is up to speed and polished, it will only end in sales for the game being lost otherwise.

Well, it's a fairly poor idea to prioritize play-create-share over the actual racing. If in 9 months reviews show up and mention framerate issues, I'll immediately think back to what I experienced myself.

I must be really blind to framerate dips :)
But I remember noticing them on my JPN 60GB when playing SSHD, but we are talking 10 fps or something like that.
Not sure if the slim has the same problem, since I have not played SSHD much on the slim.
Wonder if the SKU could add something also?

Hm, i play on a 60GB Euro launch model and i never had a disturbing framedrop except for the ModSpot. The framerate isnt stable and also not the best, but it never ruined a race for me so far.

Some other bugs i had:
Wanted to upload a Kart i made, after the upload it was gone from my items list and when i tried to edit it, it was replaced with the standard Kart. I can still choose it in the ModSpot but its gone from any other option.

While in a Quick race, i had a "Wrong Way" warning pop-up in almost every lap on a certain part of a track, even resulting in a Kart reset on the track sometimes.

"Hot Lap" is translated to German with "Heiße Runde" but the ß is missing, so its called "Heie Runde" which doesnt make any sense. :D

The only thing gameplay wise which i really dislike is the shaky cam, its really hard to actually see where your Kart wants to go when the cam shakes violently.

Hm, i play on a 60GB Euro launch model and i never had a disturbing framedrop except for the ModSpot. The framerate isnt stable and also not the best, but it never ruined a race for me so far.

Well I notice a problem in Modspot, but since that is not racing, I couldnt really care about it. You drive to a "pit-stop" and move on, its not like its necessary with a butter smooth framrate there, still weird they have issues there also.

But racing wise I did not notice it all, not saying its not there, just for some reason I did not notice :)

Played some races now. Game seems plagued by lag to me at the moment. We're racing, a pack of four staying very close. Suddenly one guy pulls way ahead. okay, maybe he had a boost/zoom thingy. Nearing the end, I'm in second, he's way ahead, and then next time I look at the positions, he's dropped way back. I overtake, so technically I'm first, and cross the line. He was out of sight on my left. Now perhaps he pipped me at the post, and the 2nd place I was awarded was correct, but the end stats said I was 6 seconds behind!

The ModSpot "Home on wheels" is also very daft. Lots of mindless dodgems crashing. Can't join friend's games in the Beta either. Voice chat is clear and mulinational.

I have enjoyed making stuff though. The editor aspect is excellent. I found that if you press the triangle when in the colour chooser, often you have to option to change shader properties. Metal adds specular reflection (spherical reflection map), Rubber adds standard illumination, and Cloth adds rim lighting. Some cool options.

Nice idea, not for me.

I've played a few races and the framerate wasn't too bad, but this is no WipeOut HD!

Love the ModSpot concept and the creation/customisation parts are pretty well done.

If they can get this running at 60fps this will be an awesome package.

Also, is this running on the PhyreEngine by any chance?

I need to correct myself:
Wanted to upload a Kart i made, after the upload it was gone from my items list and when i tried to edit it, it was replaced with the standard Kart. I can still choose it in the ModSpot but its gone from any other option.
I got my Kart back, but it takes ~a day until you can see your uploaded stuff in the list.
Had the same "issue" with a track i shared.

Public Beta Code

I wont be using mine as i am to wrapped in Uncharted 2 and Infamous, 1st person to send me a PM will get it.

Back