*** HELP - Building A New Computer ***

EvilOne666

Newcomer
Im Thinking Of Building A Comp (Well Not Really Im Gonna Get Someone To Build It For Me)

i already got the case :3 (im no expert at building a comp or buying the right parts)
and the motherboards gonna cost $80

Here's Pictures Of The Case :

p1010001p.jpg

p1010002d.jpg

p1010003n.jpg

here is the pricing list

http://www.pandacomputer.com/online/pandapricelist.pdf

i want to try and build a pc with $1,200 or less

i also intend to go with an intel i7 processor (doesn't need to be the top of the line i7)

also is ATI any good,if not ill stick with NVIDIA

I Dont Need A Large Hard Drive Either

im going to be using this for programming mainly

i intend a REASONABLY powerful machine (middle class i guess)

im not sure what motherboard im getting,<_< and your probably right davros

the motherboard is designed to fit in a smaller case like the one i have in the pic

would an i5 or c2q be more realistic...

or possibly going to amd selection of

Am3 X2 Athlon
Am3 X4 Phenom
Phenom

Last edited by a moderator:
so you need a m-atx board ?

you could get this board for $89 plus an i5 or i7 860/870 (860=$289) (870=$549)
i5-750 $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

you say programming mainly- programming gfx or something that really needs speed, or stuff that doesnt like database apps ?
also do you want to play games (all the intell c2d/c2q i5/i7 are good enough, its the gfx card you should spend money on)

so you need a m-atx board ?

you could get this board for $89 plus an i5 or i7 860/870 (860=$289) (870=$549)
i5-750 $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

you say programming mainly- programming gfx or something that really needs speed, or stuff that doesnt like database apps ?
also do you want to play games (all the intell c2d/c2q i5/i7 are good enough, its the gfx card you should spend money on)

java,c++ (reading a book on it :3),Sql (im not so good at this) stuff like that

i might play games on it (or design games much later in the future)

im gonna put a linux distro like ubuntu on it :3 (what im currently)

i want to be a game programmer later on

NOTE : I Am From Australia

If its going to be a linux pc go for standard kit dont buy hardware from small companies
you dont need a highend cpu or gfx card either as there arnt really any games on linux that need one
you wont need a highend pc for developing games either because by the time youve learned how to program a state of the art game the pc will be obsolete
soundcard wise, probably best to stick with creative labs.

If its going to be a linux pc go for standard kit dont buy hardware from small companies
you dont need a highend cpu or gfx card either as there arnt really any games on linux that need one
you wont need a highend pc for developing games either because by the time youve learned how to program a state of the art game the pc will be obsolete
soundcard wise, probably best to stick with creative labs.

i mentioned i dont want a high end computer,ive been to panda computers multiple times theve treated me quite well

im going there today to see what motherboard im getting

c2q is a good chip
the 9600gt is a decent enough budget card, just took a look at games under linux and the most demanding seem to be doom3/ut2004 the 9600gt will run those 2 great

One thing is you have a small space so low heat output part will be needed so no i7 or even i5. I would look at Intel 65W and lower and for AMD 95W and lower. Intel and AMD wattage rating are not the same. AMD wattage rating is max power the CPU will draw and Intel is like 3/4 or the power it can draw. The other problem is the PS. I don't know the case or PSU it has but most mATX cases come with a 400W or lower. The parts selection at this panda is not so good. Some of the mother board are EOL'd and no longer made. The AMD mother board selection is bad and not many there to pick form. Because of the PSU I would look at video cards that don't need external power like a AMD HD4670 or a there are some 9800GT that don't need external power.

One thing is you have a small space so low heat output part will be needed so no i7 or even i5. I would look at Intel 65W and lower and for AMD 95W and lower. Intel and AMD wattage rating are not the same. AMD wattage rating is max power the CPU will draw and Intel is like 3/4 or the power it can draw. The other problem is the PS. I don't know the case or PSU it has but most mATX cases come with a 400W or lower. The parts selection at this panda is not so good. Some of the mother board are EOL'd and no longer made. The AMD mother board selection is bad and not many there to pick form. Because of the PSU I would look at video cards that don't need external power like a AMD HD4670 or a there are some 9800GT that don't need external power.

ok,im not 100% sure what you mean

and im not getting an i5 or i7

also isnt the large fan at the back suffecient ?

should i go with an ATI card instead ?

also read the above for the motherboard im getting is that motherboard anygood ?

I would look for a better motherboard. I would spend a few $ more for 4 dimm slots and this mother board only has 3 phase power. I would only look at 4 phase and up for power for socket 775 intel.

It would be cheaper to go with a AND socket AM2+ setup than a Intel 775 that will have the same performance.

I would look at this mother board from Gigabyte.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rd&ProductID=3141&ProductName=GA-MA785GM-US2H

And this CPU AMD 620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

This will you a system that will last some time and can be upgraded later if needed.

I would look for a better motherboard. I would spend a few $ more for 4 dimm slots and this mother board only has 3 phase power. I would only look at 4 phase and up for power for socket 775 intel.

It would be cheaper to go with a AND socket AM2+ setup than a Intel 775 that will have the same performance.

I would look at this mother board from Gigabyte.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rd&ProductID=3141&ProductName=GA-MA785GM-US2H

And this CPU AMD 620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

This will you a system that will last some time and can be upgraded later if needed.

i dont intend to upgrade it,also how much cheaper would it be ?

if i get the pc im thiking of getting it'll be $725 total

- 9600 GT 1gb
- 160 gb HD (i don't need a large HD)
- C2q 9550
-4 gb DDR2

are the parts im getting

also thank you for your help thus far

No mother board is perfect and the one I posted is a lot better then the one you listed. Power phases power the CPU. Think of this way, The more phases the less amount of power each phase has to handle so with 3 phases, there a lot of power that each phases has to handle and lowers the life of the phases and each phase will have to run near its max and will get realy hot or even burn out. I have seen quad cores burn out a 3 phase power but a 4 phases for the most part is safe. The 3 phase is good up to duel cores but not quad cores because the power they will pull when you load the CPU. If you look at the mother board around the socket, you will see a thing that looks like a black box what are called chokes or inductors. Each one is a phase.

Back