Half-Life 3

spacemonkey

Newcomer
Is this legit?

halflife3pc0.jpg

Pre-rendered, I'm betting, the lines seem too straight and the perspective too precise to have been painted by hand. No Aliasing Whatsoever Anywhere. Also, the geometry is like several times higher than any game I've seen so far.

It has a painted 'feel' to it, but that could just be a part of the renderer, or perhaps a post-processing effect of some sort.

If that's a genuine realtime screencap, then I can't wait to see more. But I'm sceptical.

Where did you find it?

*Edit:
Isn't Valve supposed to at least show HL2 Ep. 3 before they start on HL3...? :p

Maybe this one?

2171382268_6a2a1445cf_o.jpg

or

Half_Life_3_Techdemo_09.jpg

Seriously though, even if some real screens did leak....it would be completely different by the time the game is released.

I can take any CG image or photo and put a HUD and crowbar on top of it, too, but that wouldn't make my picture a real HL3 screenshot either.

Probably but aside from super AA it is doable on current hardware.

Also, Gabe/Valve already mentioned that Ep 1-3 is HL3 and they regret naming them as HL2 Eps.

Besides, I doubt it will look vastly better than the current source games since its multiplatform and the xbox360 is the lowest common denominator.

Seriously, consider what Valve did with HL2 - they made sure that it was a generational step from the previous game in terms of features and look.
Also, the changing economics of the PC market have forced them to release their games on consoles as well. But I don't think there's enough room left in the X360 and PS3 to push a game with enough advancements over the Orange Box, or keep up with a modern gaming PC. So it makes sense for them to wait for the next console hardware generation with HL3.

Who knows. Maybe valve will sell EP3 as HL3. The whole episodic gaming concept has been a disaster.(At least when it comes to Valve) Ep2 was very late and it wasnt even sold separately so i guess they would bundle every previous version of half life and left4dead into ep3 and sell it for only 200$ :). So much for cheap games and frequent releases.

Still angry because of how they handled the release of EP2 as you can see.

LIke you said its valve's own fault. They said they wanted to prevent people having to wait for years to a sequel to a game so they did hl''3'' in parts. Obviously, when you put years in between releases it kinda misses the point...

Anyway, there is no hl3 stuff yet, im sure. Even if there was, the time it takes valve to release a game means we would see it probably 5 to 10 years from now.

Ofcourse if you want your HL fix, better keep the black mesa mod in mind. HL1 totally redone on source. Should be pretty awsome, I think hl1 is easily better than hl2 (though ep2 really kicks ass I think).

I still love all H-L games!
No matter how late they are released or how medicore graphics is!

For eyecandy and a bit of tactics I'm playing Crysis, for sheer fun H-L!

Which is why they need to build a completely new engine to run well enough on consoles...

If episodes 1 to 3 is to constitute Half-Life 3, Valve have shot themselves in the foot. Years between episodes makes them worthless as episodic content. 1.5 year between Ep1 and Ep2 and now we're 2 years and counting out from Ep2.

Bleep blorp.

Also, Gabe/Valve already mentioned that Ep 1-3 is HL3 and they regret naming them as HL2 Eps.

Nope, this is outdated information. There will be life in the Half-Life universe after episode 3. It's just not clear in what form (more episodes vs. normal standalone game) or whether it will still be a continuation of Gordon's story (could be a prequel or from someone else's perspective).

Doug Lombardi from Valve said:
We haven’t announced anything specific, but Half-Life won’t end at Episode Three – hang on to your crowbars!

The reason the episodes take so damn much time is that valve is obsessing too much over what is essentially insignificant details. You can clearly discern this from the commentaries throughout the episodes.

HL and its sequels may be Valve's flagship IP - well, until relatively recently, they HAD NO OTHER IP - but it's still just a damn shooting game. Just get on with it for chrissakes...

Back