Halo: Reach

The engine is owned by microsoft, someone from 343i on neogaf confirmed it a while ago :D

Since this was a while ago, I don't suppose you have a link do you? Curious to see who on GAF confirmed it.

I believe that game would be Project Gotham Racing 3.

I don't think PGR3's resolution was discovered by pixel counters. IIRC reviewers realized the resolution when they were trying to create screenshots from the framebuffer.

Anyone got a link for bungie paper/slides from gdc11
I Shot You First: Networking the Gameplay of Halo: Reach

All i get when googling is Bungie next game is a mmo

I just noticed that you can buy Reach from Games on Demand for a reduced price this week. Hmmm . . . No disc required . . . I may go for it.

You can always trade in / resell the physical media too to offset the luxury of not having to ever insert a disc.

Since this was a while ago, I don't suppose you have a link do you? Curious to see who on GAF confirmed it.

I don't think PGR3's resolution was discovered by pixel counters. IIRC reviewers realized the resolution when they were trying to create screenshots from the framebuffer.
no link, i'm sorry, but i'm 99.9% sure of that :smile:

Any recollection of the thread or user?

I remember that but it wasn't directly confirmed
It was some time ago but if I remember correctly some poster wrote that Bungie probably have rights to the engine and than outerworldvoice(I hope i spelled it correctly) quoted this post with smiley icon as an answer.

Just finished this game yesterday. First of all, as for the series itself, I really liked the first, thought the second was good - didn't quite match up to the first for me though - and thought the third was just okay.

For me, Reach had a lot to live up to, especially with all the hype and reviews praising it, and overall I think it mostly succeeded. I mostly liked all the levels expect for the whole space mission (the flying and ship itself) and there were a lot of great moments (a lot of intense firefights and well done set pieces, jetpacks, and the whole ending was awesome). Speaking of the ending, I was always wondering when I'd see something like that in a game - if there was something like that in another game I can't recall it at the moment.

And wow those visuals were really stunning at times (fantastic art direction, lighting, atmospherics and environments). I think they're seriously underrated.

Best game in the series for me since the first. Makes me wish I had an 360 (for live and because I barely had time to finish the game itself) because despite having fun playing alone, I was really wishing I had an some non AI partners for the vehicle sections.

I agree with you for the most part. Reach's SP was fun, but I don't really have a desire to replay any of the missions. I still replay missions from Halo 1 and Halo 3.

Reach has the best MP of the series though, imo.

Speaking of the ending, I was always wondering when I'd see something like that in a game - if there was something like that in another game I can't recall it at the moment.
Final Fantasy Crisis Core had the exact same kind of ending.

I was surprised at how long I lasted at the end of Reach. I think I finally died when I ran out of ammo and only had a friggin' pea shooter to deal with a herd of pissed off Elites.

I understood the ending in the sense of the overall story arc, but I still found it a bit unsettling. But I guess it's like Bungie said, "From the beginning, you know the end."

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the demo today, it's good ut I don't see any bouncing particles (sparks). Did they cut it drom the final release (theh showed them on vidocs)?

Particles don't stick around very long, and they need sufficient velocity to bounce, otherwise they just disappear. If you want to check out particles, you'd really need vehicles, heavy weapons, or grenades being tossed around in a small room.

Back