Halo: Reach

Just saw the Hope Delivered trailer extended version. I haven't seen the short version.

Though not a big fan of HALO, I am a big fan of Halo trailers , vidocs and everything they do to get us pumped up for any halo game that is released. i have loved all of the trailers that were released for ODST too, but I must say this trailer falls short. it is just bland :( !

Is there any word about the SP campaign length?

Eurogamers says: "The campaign, meanwhile, is a solid 10 hours of seismic spectacle that rarely puts a foot wrong in its pacing or design", but I'm reading 7 hours in other areas. Probably depends on your pace.

Eurogamers says: "The campaign, meanwhile, is a solid 10 hours of seismic spectacle that rarely puts a foot wrong in its pacing or design", but I'm reading 7 hours in other areas. Probably depends on your pace.

Thanks for the info.
I just read 7hours at the german GamePro online page (and they mentioned 'slight Backtracking' as a negative point).

Maybe some of you guys can answer this:

I remember that it was possible to play Gears2 coop LAN with two Xboxes in the same network without having a gold account.

Is this possible in HALO Reach as well? Can I play LAN coop with my buddy, without having Gold?

My Halo Campaign recommended difficulty for those not controller challenged:

1 player = Heroic
2 player = Legendary
2+ players = Legendary with skulls on (depending on group skill)

Agree with Robert's difficulty recommendations. Halo can be downright nasty on Legendary. Doubtful the campaign is only 10 hours on Legendary. I expect most reviewers play through on Normal.

So, who's up for a co-op session? I'm taking half a day off on Tuesday and all of Wednesday (to recover). Damn I wish they released this on Thursday instead of Wednesday.

Been playing some H3 to get back into the groove. Damn, I can't snipe!

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy is being shipped right now, I am a little over 24 hours away from getting my goods. I haven't been this excited since, well, the last Halo game! :)

I was watching a video guide on Live for getting some achievements, and man Firefight is looking fun as hell.

One achievement requires you to get a million points in Firefight! Jezus, I remember how hard it was getting 200,000 in ODST. I think this one will require four of us.

I'll be online as soon as it's delivered. I hope it arrives early enough Tuesday.

I was watching a video guide on Live for getting some achievements, and man Firefight is looking fun as hell.

Yeah, it's best to get in on those achievements early on before they decide to patch em. Custom skulls is going to mean so much fun in Firefight.

That IGN review posted said the campaign can be played with up to 4 players online or on split screen.

That can't be right can it? None of the other games support 4 player local coop.

Agree with Robert's difficulty recommendations. Halo can be downright nasty on Legendary. Doubtful the campaign is only 10 hours on Legendary. I expect most reviewers play through on Normal.

So, who's up for a co-op session? I'm taking half a day off on Tuesday and all of Wednesday (to recover). Damn I wish they released this on Thursday instead of Wednesday.

Been playing some H3 to get back into the groove. Damn, I can't snipe!

I get mine in about 15 hours at a midnight launch event and I am off all week.
I'm down for co-op or anything and like you have been playing Halo 3 on Heroic to sharpen my limited skillset.

Someone posted this summary at Gamersyde:

1UP A+

UGO A+

GamePro 5 out 5 Stars

Joystiq 5 out 5 Stars

G4 5 out 5 Stars

Gaurdian UK 5 out 5 Stars

IGN UK 10

Telegraph 10

Planet Xbox 10

Destructoid 10

IGN 9.5

GameInformer 9.5

Machinima 9.5

360 Achievements 9.4

Gametrailers 9.3

CVG 9.2

Eurogamer 9

Video Gamer 9

Gamezone 8.5

GiantBomb 4 out 5 Stars

GamesRadar 8

Kotaku Thumbs Up

Shack News Very Positive

Just For You MetaCritic:

Originally Posted by Kotaku:

Halo: Reach is unquestionably the best of the Halo games, and that's not a small thing to say. But Bungie doesn't just match the best of every Halo game that came before it, they've improved it, streamlined it, perfected it. Gone are sections of tedium and vacuous game design, gone too is the almost cartoon look of the earlier games and the narrow vision of the places in which they took place. In many ways, Halo: Reach feels like a coming of age title, but not for the characters or the world or the universe Bungie created, but for the studio itself.

Originally Posted by Eurogamer:

I called it a monument at the start, and that's just it. Reach is an encore, a victory lap, a crowd-pleasing last hurrah for a series that most definitely won't end here, but will just as definitely never be the same again. Halo deserves another game this good, and Reach is a deserving tribute.

Originally Posted by Destructoid:

Halo: Reach is everything a Halo fan has ever dreamed for. All that was lacking from previous Halo games is here and then some. This is Bungie's love letter to their fans and they've definitely gone out with a bang.

Originally Posted by IGN:

It's a fitting end to Bungie's involvement with the franchise, one that both references the past and injects new life into a tried and true formula. Newcomers and Halo fans alike will find plenty to love in Halo: Reach. Even if you've grown tired of the Halo formula through the years, I'd still recommend this game to you. It's just that good.

Originally Posted by IGN UK:

Nine years in and on its fifth and final pass Bungie has created the definitive Halo experience, in which refinement is matched by the gentle revolutions of its new features. Armor abilities lend spark to a campaign that already boasts some of the series' finest level design and most stirring set-pieces, and they help enliven a multiplayer set that's beyond generous. It's a parting gift from Bungie that should keep players entertained through to the next generation; and if any other console shooter can better it in that time it'll be one hell of a feat.

Originally Posted by Shack News:

Looking at everything provided by Bungie and the potential for user-generated content, Reach is the biggest shooter to ever hit a console. More importantly, the game is just downright fun from start to finish, especially if you're going to be playing online. It is a true work of love from the folks at Bungie and has been constructed to be playable for many years; a fine send off as Bungie transitions to its first new IP in a decade. It is a prequel and doesn't have Master Chief, but this truly is Halo 4. Get this game.

Originally Posted by GamePro:

An epic story, incredible pacing, and a spot-on mix of old and new elements make Reach’s campaign Halo’s best yet. Oh, and when you’ve finished the story mode, plan on spending a large chunk of your life in the massive online universe. Any way you cut it, Halo: Reach is a fantastic swan song for Bungie, and it leaves behind a Spartan-sized set of boots for 343 Industries to fill.

Solid reviews.

I'm finding Eurogamer's reviews more and more tiresome. They're acting like they're journalists far above the rest of the gaming sites' crews and shell out big words of critique, yet fail to be as well-informed and thorough as they should. A more humble tone and less depreciative comments would help their articles a lot.

DigitalFoundry is however excluded - they're pretty good at what they do, they're objective, precise and all ;) Too bad the main site doesn't follow in their footsteps.

I am always curious about a reviewer/writer: Are you a journalist or are you a "gamer" (not necessarily hardcore) who enjoys writing about the industry. A journalist may be a better writer, but a long-time gamer who understands game design and can appreciate a game from various perspectives has a lot more to offer than a journalist who just happens to have gotten a job writing in the industry. Seeing how *bad* some of these guys are at playing games makes me feel that they often miss understand and under appreciate many games.

Back