Halo: Reach

List of changes since the beta. I'm very happy to see these changes. Bungie is taking a lot of feedback from the community.

Faster movement, higher jump.
Game feels differant from Beta.
New Aim assist prioritises targets. Proximity doesn't always equal most valuable target
Headshot fix most import issue fixed from Beta - great improvement
Melee was "broken" in Beta, now fixed, longer delay (Five frames) (Melee in H3 is 30 frames) - so melee is now the same speed as Halo 3
Golden triangle, now "Golden Box" =P
Vehicles in internal Alpha "paper machete", vehicles changed from Beta, Sage currently working on them, no longer "fragile".
Getting Tank away from spawn in Boneyard was difficult, if you suceeded, Tank was powerful. Will be "improved upon"
Grenades - people initially perceived them as "mini-nukes" but then got used to them. Similar to CE. Frag power lowered by 1 point during Beta. Changed again, another 1 point taken away. Radius smaller, timer reduced by 0.1 second. One grenade will not impact health at all if no further damage is taken and shields recharge.
Shield wasn't reporting damage correctly during Beta - fixed.
Single DMR shot takes 25 points from shields
Maps and game types tweaked
Reticule fixed, brighter, fancier, quite noticeable, crisp, clear
Bloom stays
Where you are taking damage from is more visible - you'll know where the damage is coming from
Swordbase weapon spawns changed about - no Plasma Launcher on default! (right now =P)
Swordbase - Flag removed from Beta yellow lift room on 1 Flag (Battle over lift) - Flag moved to 2 story room with glassy balcony, top of the ramp. Plays better. Same on Powerhouse - Flag moved away duevto Rocket Launcher, on rooftop of one of the buildings.
Stockpile UI being redone, UI was carried over from Halo 3 - not suitable for Reach, confusing. Much more clear now. Stockpile :love:. Flag spawn locations kept the same. On Powerhouse "Stockpile" return zones moved.
Magnum slowed down fractionally to make it fair against AR users
AR is slightly buffed
Plasma Repeater kept in line with AR
Sniper Rifle made a bit more "idiot-proof"
Plasma Launcher "getting nerfed a hair" - "Clown Cannon, Comedy Gun". Changing time it takes to lock on to make it slightly more fair for infantry. Tracking also reduced slightly. Fire rate slightly longer/slower. "Not quite good as it used to be but still pretty awesome"
DMR - Rounds in magazine changed, 12 in Beta now increased to 15 rounds
Needle Rifle rounds in magazine changed, 16 in Beta now increased to 21 rounds
Magnum NOT getting more rounds for certain, no chance
Elite shield regen time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds (not final)

Where's that list from?

And they didn't need to nerf the magnum!, buffing the AR would've sufficed.

It's a pity the cooldown time between consecutive melee attacks is the same as it was in Halo 3 now, meleeing in H3 was so much more fun than H3 due to the fact you could melee quite rapidly -allowing you to take out multiple enemies in CQC if you were a ninja.
It really didn't need to be nerfed, melee still isn't anywhere near as powerful as it is in games like MW2.

LOL @ the podcast opening song!

In light of the increases in movement speed and jump height, I feel the changes to frag grenades are too extreme. The damage and blast radius should have remained the same. I fear they won't be as useful against warthogs and ghosts now.

yea it sounds like they listened tot those that wanted it to be more like H3, which after the beta, to me, is a disappointment... I liked the changes that Reach brought

LOL @ the podcast opening song!

In light of the increases in movement speed and jump height, I feel the changes to frag grenades are too extreme. The damage and blast radius should have remained the same. I fear they won't be as useful against warthogs and ghosts now.

I liked the nades, a lot. I think people forget that nades and melee in games like CoD are instant kills. I think a lot of the complainers were newbs (everyone was!) that tended to sit in nade spam spots.

yea it sounds like they listened tot those that wanted it to be more like H3, which after the beta, to me, is a disappointment... I liked the changes that Reach brought

I don't like how their nerfing the Magnum as it was great to use in the beta.Sounds like Bungie is listening too much to the MLG crowd which is a little disappointing to me.I liked the jumping height in the beta because it prevented people from constantly "bunny hopping" like they would do in Halo 3.

I don't like how their nerfing the Magnum as it was great to use in the beta.Sounds like Bungie is listening too much to the MLG crowd which is a little disappointing to me.I liked the jumping height in the beta because it prevented people from constantly "bunny hopping" like they would do in Halo 3.

Yea, they shouldn't have nerfed the Magnum, I thought it was a design risk that paid off well for Bungie, it was definitely not easy to use, so they should've left it as is.

I like the increased jump height though, but I use Bumper Jumper, so it'll give me an advantage ;)

Yea, they shouldn't have nerfed the Magnum, I thought it was a design risk that paid off well for Bungie, it was definitely not easy to use, so they should've left it as is.

I like the increased jump height though, but I use Bumper Jumper, so it'll give me an advantage ;)

I did too with H2 and H3 but in the Reach beta having that available for a power (jetpack especially) is invaluable

my favorite part of the beta was no bunny hopping. :cry:

List of changes since the beta. I'm very happy to see these changes. Bungie is taking a lot of feedback from the community.

Faster movement, higher jump.
Game feels differant from Beta.
New Aim assist prioritises targets. Proximity doesn't always equal most valuable target
Headshot fix most import issue fixed from Beta - great improvement
Melee was "broken" in Beta, now fixed, longer delay (Five frames) (Melee in H3 is 30 frames) - so melee is now the same speed as Halo 3
Golden triangle, now "Golden Box" =P
Vehicles in internal Alpha "paper machete", vehicles changed from Beta, Sage currently working on them, no longer "fragile".
Getting Tank away from spawn in Boneyard was difficult, if you suceeded, Tank was powerful. Will be "improved upon"
Grenades - people initially perceived them as "mini-nukes" but then got used to them. Similar to CE. Frag power lowered by 1 point during Beta. Changed again, another 1 point taken away. Radius smaller, timer reduced by 0.1 second. One grenade will not impact health at all if no further damage is taken and shields recharge.
Shield wasn't reporting damage correctly during Beta - fixed.
Single DMR shot takes 25 points from shields
Maps and game types tweaked
Reticule fixed, brighter, fancier, quite noticeable, crisp, clear
Bloom stays
Where you are taking damage from is more visible - you'll know where the damage is coming from
Swordbase weapon spawns changed about - no Plasma Launcher on default! (right now =P)
Swordbase - Flag removed from Beta yellow lift room on 1 Flag (Battle over lift) - Flag moved to 2 story room with glassy balcony, top of the ramp. Plays better. Same on Powerhouse - Flag moved away duevto Rocket Launcher, on rooftop of one of the buildings.
Stockpile UI being redone, UI was carried over from Halo 3 - not suitable for Reach, confusing. Much more clear now. Stockpile :love:. Flag spawn locations kept the same. On Powerhouse "Stockpile" return zones moved.
Magnum slowed down fractionally to make it fair against AR users
AR is slightly buffed
Plasma Repeater kept in line with AR
Sniper Rifle made a bit more "idiot-proof"
Plasma Launcher "getting nerfed a hair" - "Clown Cannon, Comedy Gun". Changing time it takes to lock on to make it slightly more fair for infantry. Tracking also reduced slightly. Fire rate slightly longer/slower. "Not quite good as it used to be but still pretty awesome"
DMR - Rounds in magazine changed, 12 in Beta now increased to 15 rounds
Needle Rifle rounds in magazine changed, 16 in Beta now increased to 21 rounds
Magnum NOT getting more rounds for certain, no chance
Elite shield regen time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds (not final)

Also, (surprising that it was left out of this summary) they pretty much confirmed that there'll be more armor abilities in the final game. Which is interesting as they're not going to be tested as extensively as the existing 5, it could be that they'll be campaign only, but they seemed to indicate that there would be more AAs for MP.
I think some AAs will be only campaign, but we'll also see some new armor abilities for MP, much like equipment in H3 from beta to release.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_061110

And in the newest weekly update they talk about all the cuts they have to make, including a porcupine, which means Reach will have ambient life (other than the Halo birds).

Elite customisation will also be much more limited than Spartan, you will only be able to swap between different Elite models, not pick and choose between armor parts like with Spartans.

They've also added a new infection gametype which is reminiscent of King mode in Geometry Wars 2 and should be interesting like all the other new modes they've added so far.

I did too with H2 and H3 but in the Reach beta having that available for a power (jetpack especially) is invaluable

my favorite part of the beta was no bunny hopping. :cry:

They didn't have Bumper Jumper in H2 - there were no bumpers on the Xbox controller! I used Boxer back then

The biggest problem for Reach will be the controls, ideally, you'd switch between default and BJ schemes depending on your armor ability, ie. active camo, sprint etc will work ok with BJ but others like armor lock, evade and especially jetpack would require use of the bumper.
However everytime I change my control scheme I require reconditioning and will often forget that melee has been switched with AA etc in the middle of an encounter, so that's not viable.

I personally wanted to see armor abilities mapped to a click in of the left thumbstick, instead of crouching but I don't think Bungie will add that in.
That would make abilities like sprinting identical to COD, and actions like evades would be really easy to do.
That is the only control scheme I can think of that allows the best use of AAs on the BJ control scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they get the spacecraft controls right. If it flies anything like the Reavers of GoW2 it will suck.

Seems like the Banshie controls have gotten worse over the years, so I don't have a lot of hope for epic space battles. Hopefully, I'm wrong though.

IGN has a pretty good quality capture of the press conference demo. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNhC1onduY&feature=player_embedded#!

Wow, I was expecting space combat - they hinted at it in the Bnet updates/podcasts and I think it was mentioneld as one of the features in the leaks. But it's still incredible to see it in action.

Hopefully it has some depth to it, like Rogue Squadron, but knowing Bungie they won't let us down.

The games looks incredibly too, love the landscapes and sky boxes, the sheer amount of enemies and ships flying around everywhere is quite impressive.

Day One for me for sure.

Definitely an improvement in graphics, lighting and feel. My only regret is no Master Chief and Cortana.

OMG that was freaking incredible. Shaping up to be possible HD game of this generation. I hope there's more than just the one mission in space.

Regards,
SB

I want to board a covenant ship there was this level in halo 1 where you had to do it. It's been a long while so forgot the name.

And dam elite using armor lock was cool.:LOL:

Back