Halo: Reach

It seems a good strategy to have a dude or two attack the B generator first, because when A and C are gone, the Spartans just hole up in the barn with shotties, which makes it nearly impossible to destroy B before time runs out.

I hope Reach has some Forerunner architecture, because Bungie does Forerunner architecture better than any other architecture, and Reach certainly has a nice rendering engine.

So Noble Team has 6 members... right? Heavy Spartan, Crazy Knife Spartan, Lady Spartan with Pistol, Sniper Spartan, Commander Spartan, and the 'Recruit' Lone Wolf. So why do all the cover/logo pieces show 5? Seems the Commander goes missing?

And what of the idea that maybe you can use the dpad for commander ord.......

I count 6 Spartans in all the cover/logo pieces. One of them has active-camo engaged.

I think today is the last day for the beta. Was a pretty fun ride. While it took some getting used to, I am really liking the changes Bungie made. Reach is gonna rawk!

Halo Reach multi-player was much less poopy to me than Halo 3 multi-player was. I really had zero interest in Halo 3 multi-player. I'd categorize Halo 3 multi-player as absolutely awful (campaign co-op excluded, which was fun). Reach is much much better. I probably won't play it a lot because I don't want to put the time in to be good enough to compete. The game is really solid, just maybe not my style.

I think today is the last day for the beta. Was a pretty fun ride. While it took some getting used to, I am really liking the changes Bungie made. Reach is gonna rawk!

Agreed.... I like it much better than H3 and really look forward to the full experience

Thirded. I enjoyed the beta to the point I played it exclusively since launch. Halo 3 MP never sat well with me. I never had confidence that I could kill someone and when I would, it'd be a surprise to me. While I'm no "expert" at Reach, I just feel a lot more in tune with the gameplay. My recommendations for changes still stands but I'm happy in the direction Bungie is taking Reach. The beta ended at a perfect time. I'm now ready for AW and RDR.

Overall, I was better at H3 MP. However, there is no question Reach has deeper gameplay. More choices, more consequences. Reach will be a better game.

LagBot, what did you expect your box to do after you plugged in a keyboard and mouse? :runaway:

Bungie mentioned the potential for unannounced Armor Abilities (AAs). I have a couple ideas (don't I always?) Seeing as there are 6 members of Noble 6 it would be nice to have an ability for each member. Likewise Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST provided a number of abilities in MP that were balanced and, in the case of Active Camo and Radar Jammer, have been used as AAs.

Overshield. One of the new Spartans is huge. Size usually = tougher but slower. So right there you have your advantage and disadvantage. Bungie would need to toy with a combination of constant overshield (and how much) verses an engaged/disengaged AA. Thematically it probably should be on all the time, unless it takes on the idea of "the big spartan armor can shift resources to shields or mobility." This AA could be great for guys who love to just drop right into the action. Another perk to this could be the ability to wield large weapons, like the mounted machine guns, with ease--imagine whipping it around at the turn speed of the AR!

Melee. Note that one of the Spartans in the video has a nasty knife. Ouch. So why not have an AA that is melee oriented. Extend the melee range (+50%, maybe a roll-to-lunge), keep the very fast double melee time. Give the sword extended range and I am toying with the idea of "double swings." Melee is one of those ways Halo is unique, really exploring more robust melee capabilities would be great. With the AA's it would allow Bungie to try some more advanced stuff that is "extra strong" but compensated by the perks of the other classes. Of course the downsides would be everyone either was far more mobile (jet pack, evade, sprint), more protected (armor lock, overshield), or you cannot lock onto them (active camo) so your skill will only benefit when using it wisely.

Health Regen. Deft Angel mentioned this at Gamersyde. Carter is a commander and one thing good commanders do is keep their squads close and give them an advantage. The Health Regen armor could either be a mobile med kit and/or could reduce the shield regen time when in the commanders sphere of influence.

Anyone else have some ideas?

I think, hope the headshotting will make a big difference...

that says a lot to me ;)

70% of the matches I've played, I was paired up with garbage teammates and I still was ranked in a silver division.Then, I let my friend play 34 matches and he won only 3 of them.He did so terrible that I got ranked down to a 2 star bronze division.Luckily, I consistently played great and ended up in the 4 star gold division.

Im glad Bungie rectifided the headshotting issues found in the beta and the final version will be a much better experience.All in all, I loved every minute of the beta and have won over 205 games.Im also intrigued by the other unannounced AA's that Bungie mentioned and Joshua's ideas for other armor abilities is pretty darn good.Can't wait to see more of the game at E3...

Weekly update:

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_052110

Yup, the meaty mix being fed into the crazy sausage grinder is still being taste-tested for spice and flavor. Base player traits like speed and jump height, the aforementioned melee and grenade mechanics, HUD and reticle display, weapon mechanics and balancing, vehicles, Armor Abilities, and more are all on the table and in most cases, have already seen some significant changes that range in scope and size from lil’ smoky to jumbo foot long.

While you shouldn’t expect the crazy sausage to be an altogether different animal come fall – like a tofu dog loaded with bean sprouts and blue-green algae – you should be ready for some significant tweaks the next time you get some hands on with Halo: Reach.

Sword Base in particular has been given some extra special attention by our astoundingly awesome team of environment artists. I don’t want to spoil the surprise for you, but I will say that you won’t have much difficulty determining which side of the map you’re on the next time you step foot inside the ONI atrium. Aside from the enhanced color palette and lighting effects, there’s now an impossible to miss visual queue layered in to clue you into exactly where you’re camping out.

Damn, I was hoping they'd kill off the Sword Base map completely.

IGN: Post-beta Interview

One of the biggest issues with Armor Lock was actually brought up internally by one of our engineering leads prior to the beta. He became an Armor Locking prodigy and was able to burst it for a second at a time at the exact moment an enemy would try to melee him. In some cases he could get off upwards of twelve mini usages of Armor Lock before being fully depleted and in each case his attacker would lose their shields and get pummeled in return. This wasn't the design intention for the ability and it's been tweaked a bit now so it uses more energy per burst and someone who hits a locked opponent will no longer have their shields removed.

Active Camo also received a minor adjustment based on beta feedback. It was never the intent for the ability to scramble the shields of your friendly teammates while activated – it's only supposed to affect the player using it and nearby enemies.

During the second week of the beta a science experiment was deployed to try and do a more focused test of this matchup. A base Spartan vs. Elite gametype was added for standard Slayer. And... the results were the same, Elites were winning about 60% of the time. The design intention is for Elite's to be powerful, different and awesome but not to the point where they constantly win the majority of the matches. There are some subtle tweaks being explored right now to try and better strike this balance.

List of changes since the beta. I'm very happy to see these changes. Bungie is taking a lot of feedback from the community.

Faster movement, higher jump.
Game feels differant from Beta.
New Aim assist prioritises targets. Proximity doesn't always equal most valuable target
Headshot fix most import issue fixed from Beta - great improvement
Melee was "broken" in Beta, now fixed, longer delay (Five frames) (Melee in H3 is 30 frames) - so melee is now the same speed as Halo 3
Golden triangle, now "Golden Box" =P
Vehicles in internal Alpha "paper machete", vehicles changed from Beta, Sage currently working on them, no longer "fragile".
Getting Tank away from spawn in Boneyard was difficult, if you suceeded, Tank was powerful. Will be "improved upon"
Grenades - people initially perceived them as "mini-nukes" but then got used to them. Similar to CE. Frag power lowered by 1 point during Beta. Changed again, another 1 point taken away. Radius smaller, timer reduced by 0.1 second. One grenade will not impact health at all if no further damage is taken and shields recharge.
Shield wasn't reporting damage correctly during Beta - fixed.
Single DMR shot takes 25 points from shields
Maps and game types tweaked
Reticule fixed, brighter, fancier, quite noticeable, crisp, clear
Bloom stays
Where you are taking damage from is more visible - you'll know where the damage is coming from
Swordbase weapon spawns changed about - no Plasma Launcher on default! (right now =P)
Swordbase - Flag removed from Beta yellow lift room on 1 Flag (Battle over lift) - Flag moved to 2 story room with glassy balcony, top of the ramp. Plays better. Same on Powerhouse - Flag moved away duevto Rocket Launcher, on rooftop of one of the buildings.
Stockpile UI being redone, UI was carried over from Halo 3 - not suitable for Reach, confusing. Much more clear now. Stockpile :love:. Flag spawn locations kept the same. On Powerhouse "Stockpile" return zones moved.
Magnum slowed down fractionally to make it fair against AR users
AR is slightly buffed
Plasma Repeater kept in line with AR
Sniper Rifle made a bit more "idiot-proof"
Plasma Launcher "getting nerfed a hair" - "Clown Cannon, Comedy Gun". Changing time it takes to lock on to make it slightly more fair for infantry. Tracking also reduced slightly. Fire rate slightly longer/slower. "Not quite good as it used to be but still pretty awesome"
DMR - Rounds in magazine changed, 12 in Beta now increased to 15 rounds
Needle Rifle rounds in magazine changed, 16 in Beta now increased to 21 rounds
Magnum NOT getting more rounds for certain, no chance
Elite shield regen time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds (not final)

Sounds promising. Frags didn't need to he changed, but whatever.

September 14 won't get here quick enough.

List of changes since the beta. I'm very happy to see these changes. Bungie is taking a lot of feedback from the community.

Faster movement, higher jump.
Game feels differant from Beta.
New Aim assist prioritises targets. Proximity doesn't always equal most valuable target
Headshot fix most import issue fixed from Beta - great improvement
Melee was "broken" in Beta, now fixed, longer delay (Five frames) (Melee in H3 is 30 frames) - so melee is now the same speed as Halo 3
Golden triangle, now "Golden Box" =P
Vehicles in internal Alpha "paper machete", vehicles changed from Beta, Sage currently working on them, no longer "fragile".
Getting Tank away from spawn in Boneyard was difficult, if you suceeded, Tank was powerful. Will be "improved upon"
Grenades - people initially perceived them as "mini-nukes" but then got used to them. Similar to CE. Frag power lowered by 1 point during Beta. Changed again, another 1 point taken away. Radius smaller, timer reduced by 0.1 second. One grenade will not impact health at all if no further damage is taken and shields recharge.
Shield wasn't reporting damage correctly during Beta - fixed.
Single DMR shot takes 25 points from shields
Maps and game types tweaked
Reticule fixed, brighter, fancier, quite noticeable, crisp, clear
Bloom stays
Where you are taking damage from is more visible - you'll know where the damage is coming from
Swordbase weapon spawns changed about - no Plasma Launcher on default! (right now =P)
Swordbase - Flag removed from Beta yellow lift room on 1 Flag (Battle over lift) - Flag moved to 2 story room with glassy balcony, top of the ramp. Plays better. Same on Powerhouse - Flag moved away duevto Rocket Launcher, on rooftop of one of the buildings.
Stockpile UI being redone, UI was carried over from Halo 3 - not suitable for Reach, confusing. Much more clear now. Stockpile :love:. Flag spawn locations kept the same. On Powerhouse "Stockpile" return zones moved.
Magnum slowed down fractionally to make it fair against AR users
AR is slightly buffed
Plasma Repeater kept in line with AR
Sniper Rifle made a bit more "idiot-proof"
Plasma Launcher "getting nerfed a hair" - "Clown Cannon, Comedy Gun". Changing time it takes to lock on to make it slightly more fair for infantry. Tracking also reduced slightly. Fire rate slightly longer/slower. "Not quite good as it used to be but still pretty awesome"
DMR - Rounds in magazine changed, 12 in Beta now increased to 15 rounds
Needle Rifle rounds in magazine changed, 16 in Beta now increased to 21 rounds
Magnum NOT getting more rounds for certain, no chance
Elite shield regen time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds (not final)

Nice start.

Back