Halo: Reach

really digging this game more than I ever liked H3.

Welcomed changes and the AA are genius and risky considering the games heritage. It was time for a change though.

I still think that what they are seeing is primarily due to weak starting weapons though.

Agreed. What I'm hoping is that they're shifting the balance towards weapons. This is why I think they'll buff up the guns. Weakening the nades and melee while buffing the weapons would be a better balance than the current situation. Atleast that's my hope but if they keep the weapons as is and weaken the melee + nades, I can't imagine how long it'd take to kill someone.

Here's a comment from "mancannon" that gives me hope about the weapons getting a bump:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21167338&postcount=17852

Also some very interesting internal discussions and findings today regarding headshots with precision weapons. I hope to be able to share details soon but the gist is that I think the end result will be a much welcomed tweak for the final game.

Overall, I don't think there are any MAJOR overhauls Bungie needs to do. However, they need to do quite a few tweaks to balance the game out. Ofcourse they can just as easily go in the wrong direction but from their response so far, they seem to be atleast headed in the right direction. They're also listening to the community much more, which is quite a change from before.

After reading the WU, I'm a little concerned. I think grenades are just about perfect as is. I suspect Bungie is seeing a lot of melée and grenade kills for two reasons: people don't really know how to play yet, and the weapons are kind of weak. I'd rather they address the latter rather than nerf grenades. I don't have sn issue with the current melée system, but I can understand the concerns about it.

I still think that what they are seeing is primarily due to weak starting weapons though.

Exactly. The weapons are weak sauce, so the melee and nades are your best defense. Bungie: Dude, we are for world peace, so lets tone those down too. I say screw world domination and give me my Halo CE nuclear magnum back!! :devilish: Or at least an AR that works.

The DMR needs to be 1 less shot too, or something like: 4b + 1h, 2b + 2h, or 3h = kill. I don't mind the bloom concept and it is slow enough, but they gotta give the gun more juice.

I'm not seeing how the weapons are weak. To me this the most deadly and balanced weapon sandbox in a Halo game yet.

I'm not seeing how the weapons are weak. To me this the most deadly and balanced weapon sandbox in a Halo game yet.

If you think the Halo Reach AR is more deadly than the Halo 3 AR I don't know what to say to you :???:

I suggest everyone to check out the GDC presentation from longtime Halo designer Jamie Griesemer
here.

It takes the sniper rifle's rate of fire as an example to guide through all the issues and consequences related to tweaking just one single value in the game. Lots of very interesting ideas about balance and background details on how they've arrived at their decisions. I particularly like the way he categorizes the players ;)

Anyway, it's worth reading this presentation to see just how much more there is to weapon balance then you'd probably think...

If you think the Halo Reach AR is more deadly than the Halo 3 AR I don't know what to say to you :???:

It certainly doesn't feel any less deadly. Maybe because it's not as easy just to pump a few bullets in somebody and go in for the beatdown like Halo 3? To me the AR, like a lot of the weapons in Reach, just requires more skill to use. I've had no trouble getting kills with the AR, but my preference as a player is the headshot weapons.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats.aspx?player=Pernts&vc=3

To me it just feels like it just takes a little too long to kill someone. This is really apparent when games are a little laggy. Sometimes you run dry before you kill the enemy.

The weapons aren't that far off to be sure, but I would prefer weapons that are a little too powerful as opposed to weapons that are slightly underpowered.

Im loving the beta but the DMR and NR should be about 10% more powerful as it does take a little bit more to kill someone.Which, can lead to some frustation in heated battles.Nades are incredibly powerful which I appreciate but should be toned down a little bit.So far, I've won a 110 matches and currently im in a 3 star silver division.I should have been either gold or onyx but I let my friend play 25 matches since he wanted to checkout the beta.For the vast majority of the games, he did pretty bad and consistently went negative.

Yea they should bump up the AR a bit, or give it a larger clip like in halo 1.
But don't touch the melée cooldown time, have you guys been using it? It's amazing especially when coupled with sprint/evade, it's also good because ur left less prone to death grenades after beating someone down

But again if ur run straight at an AR/repeater wielder ur not going to win with a double melée.

Also, Bungie said you could shoot grenades on the ground causing them to explode, I've tried doing this and it doesn't work.

You can shoot grenades on the floor that were fired by the grenade launcher..Comes in pretty handy when some bastard is hiding trying to manually detonate grenades when your in the promixity..

The plasma repeater is really crappy, especially when you're facing good dudes. If they are intent on it being this weak, at least give it the "plasma freeze" from H1.

You can shoot grenades on the floor that were fired by the grenade launcher..Comes in pretty handy when some bastard is hiding trying to manually detonate grenades when your in the promixity..

Oh ok, but they said all grenades would be shootable in the weekly updates and one of their podcasts. They gave an example where instead of just sniping some guy you could shoot the unexploded grenades at his feet to kill him.

Also I don't really think the AR has been downgraded much for Reach, was playing Reach/H3 back to back on the weekend and they seemed pretty similar. In H3 u would always never expect to kill someone outright with the AR anyway it'd always be assisted by grenades or melée.

And the AR in reach seems to be far more accurate than the H3 iteration judging by how small the crosshairs are at their minimum size. Has anyone tried burst firing the Reach AR with 3 bullet bursts and seen if that makes a difference?

The plasma repeater is really crappy, especially when you're facing good dudes. If they are intent on it being this weak, at least give it the "plasma freeze" from H1.

its annoying getting shot by the plasma repeater, seeing as each round is a light source it blinds the crap out of me. it does look cool though.

can someone please explain why you only play one side in invasion mode?

i mean seriously what were they thinking? it just doesn't make any sense...

Not sure what you're talking about. I've played both sides many times.

It's probably my favorite game type on Halo ever. Lots of fun.

Tommy McClain

Bungie said in the shipping version of Invasion, you will play "rounds" alternating between offense and defense. The beta is mostly a test of their new netcode.

NRP is correct. They are doing Invasion games that way strictly for data gathering. Full game is alternating Offense/defense.

on Halo:WP video, Luke smith also said that we may not have yet seen every Armor Ability as well and some other not yet seen surprises. :D

Also to me the speed in which games are found and time between games and the skill level matching (and social settings for matchup!) are some of the greatest improvements and one of the main reasons I tired of H3. Incredible job there IMO and it is still to be improved upon evidently. :)

I'm actually not liking assasinations too much because they are a little to easy to do. Most times, I just want a simple backwhack, but instead I go into the assasination animation and either I get killed before I finish, or someone else steals my kill. And I get tired of seeing the same "prostate examination" too. :D

yep... hoping they will make that an in game option and I will turn it off... although the air born ones are pretty sweet looking and there are times when I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it to particular individuals in game but as you said, often too easy when I am in the middle of a frantic firefight

Back