Halo: Reach

It looks a lot less jaggy.

Compare it to the campaign vidoc, they've made a whole lot of improvement and the is just the multiplayer. And its a beta for that matter.

Things are definitely looking good.

It looks a lot less jaggy.

Compare it to the campaign vidoc, they've made a whole lot of improvement and the is just the multiplayer. And its a beta for that matter.

Things are definitely looking good.

But is it gameplay or saved film footage?

If it is gameplay maybe someone can see if theyre using AA or if they've changed the res.

It's not "high-res frame dumps". :LOL:

Download the 720p version off B.net, and you will see quite a bit of alaising, there's clearly no AA. I'm honestly not sure if it's improved, maybe a little, but certainly not a lot.

It's not "high-res frame dumps". :LOL:

Download the 720p version off B.net, and you will see quite a bit of alaising, there's clearly no AA. I'm honestly not sure if it's improved, maybe a little, but certainly not a lot.

Watch the campaign vidoc and compare with this, it has improved, but it is not perfect.

Only a few days until the public beta and then you can start the pixel counting ;)
Although I'm sure the DigitalFoundry guys already have their hands on it and know the Truth...

Only a few days until the public beta and then you can start the pixel counting ;)
Although I'm sure the DigitalFoundry guys already have their hands on it and know the Truth...

God dam embargo. I believe embargo runs out next week because monday friends&family get access to the beta.

I hope than Bungie really takes the complaints from Halo 3 graphics seriously.

A luminous Halo?
Before considering the technical part, it's important to mention that the huge TVs with factory settings clearly didn't emphasize Halo Reach graphics. Some of them even had the 100Hz option activated (with image ghosting and other artefacts), and it seems that the consoles were badly configurated (bad resolution and bad cables).

Obviously, in these conditions it was really difficult to evaluate the efforts made by Bungie, and the game seemed quite close to Halo 3, with a better lightning model. Some textures are blurry, and the aliasing is very noticable (certainly increased by the TVs size). We cautiously blame the bad settings and the fact that it's only a beta version.

Nevertheless, in addition to lightning, the other nice touches regard character and weapon animations, which are more detailled and realistic. For example, Assassinations are really great.

Halo Wins ?
Before being jumped by Halo Fanboys, please keep in mind that i've never really enjoyed the Halo multiplayer experience, but i have to admit that the Bungie guys have outdone themselves to consolidate the Halo fundamentals while bringing some fresh new features. Concerning the technical side, it's quite difficult to judge, especially considering these bad conditions. But in my opinion, it won't be a graphical masterpiece, and it might even disappoint some of you (again). However, that didn't prevent Halo 3 from becoming one of the most played games on the Xbox Live service. So let's wait until May 3rd for those who has purchased Halo ODST !

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_halo_reach_beta-9211_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at home earlier and watched the ViDoc on my TV and it looked quite nice so who knows. I have a Pioneer Kuro Pro151 ISF calibrated btw.

One thing I noticed was the motion blur being used (very well) to hide the aliasing.

Really good particle effects as can be seen here: http://i40.tinypic.com/1fhbaw.gif

Also the details on the guns is amazing.

It'll be the same old story. For some, Halo's graphics will never be good enough. The rest of us won't really care.

Personally, I still think Halo 3 looks fantastic overall, particularly the lighting. So I'm glad to hear the lighting in Reach may even be better. While I'd love some AA and AF, those graphical shortcomings never once detracted from my SP or MP experience.

Those explosions look awesome, and I love explosions. If only the explosions in Battlefield: BC 2 looked that good on top of the destructible buildings.

I've gotta say, even from the gifs its pretty apparent there is a significant jump in the visuals. Maybe they aren't using MSAA, and maybe they aren't using much or any texture filtering, but the animation and particle effects look awesome. The models look pretty slick too.

It's interesting to note that Gamersyde mentions a lot of aliasing which would make complete sense since its only seen a slight bump in res and no form of AA has been introduced.
In the vidoc though it looks very clean, much cleaner than H3 gameplay so I'm inclined to believe it isn't actual gameplay and has been oversampled and downscaled to 720p.
Perhaps a pixel counter (Shifty?) could determine the res and if there's any AA.

Also interesting is that Gamersyde said the player limit is still 16, Bungie definitely said that they were going to bump up the MP player count, why did they cut that?

I love the new focus rifle, I thought it would do to little damage and be underpowered but it looks like it's even deadlier than the sentinel beam (which was excluded from MP due to it's power) as it has a scope to boot.

The game does look good though, the particles, weapon effects and explosions are great as always. I don't like the huge two toed feet on the Elites though, looks silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting to note that Gamersyde mentions a lot of aliasing which would make complete sense since its only seen a slight bump in res and no form of AA has been introduced.
In the vidoc though it looks very clean, much cleaner than H3 gameplay so I'm inclined to believe it isn't actual gameplay and has been oversampled and downscaled to 720p.
Perhaps a pixel counter (Shifty?) could determine the res and if there's any AA.

Also interesting is that Gamersyde said the player limit is still 16, Bungie definitely said that they were going to bump up the MP player count, why did they cut that?

They are thinking on doing 8vs8 for invasion im more interested where there network test mode is for(generator) because invasion is 6vs6 and the test is only 3vs3:?:

I love the new focus rifle, I thought it would do to little damage and be underpowered but it looks like it's even deadlier than the sentinel beam (which was excluded from MP due to it's power) as it has a scope to boot.

The game does look good though, the particles, weapon effects and explosions are great as always. I don't like the huge two toed feet on the Elites though, looks silly.
Gamersyde also mentioned a dodgy setup.

I don't think there's msaa in the Vidoc, and I suspect it's the same resolution as previous footage. Motion blur is great and helps a lot, plus the resolution bump, essentially 720p.

Back