Halo: Reach

Nope. Guns and armor look great. Not as good as the VGA trailer, of course.

And it is comparable to games like KZ2, now.

bfidqu.jpg

comparisono.jpg

I just dont think it's going to look as good as the VGA trailer or maybe KZ2, because it's a wide open game. But it still looks good. If anything the weapon models and armor are the strong points, the environments are what can look a little bland in MP imo. It doesn't lather on the postprocessing like KZ2.

I'm just thrilled with how Reach looks. But if anything it makes me question further why Bungie did essentially Halo 2 HD for Halo 3. There's no reason Halo3 couldn't have been as good as Reach graphically in 2007 imo.

I dunno, I feel the opposite, I was thrilled with how it looked in the VGA trailer but increasingly it's looking more and more like Halo 3.5 - ie. a graphical evolution rather than the drastic improvement a 'new' engine would suggest.

And I don't think anyone can say the gun models are comparable to KZ2, MW2 perhaps, but KZ2's guns are photorealistic, the shader detail is incredible, Reach guns look plastic by comparison. I'm not sure whether the graphical shortcomings are due to the quality of Bungie's artists or the engine. I'm inclined to say the former due to the horrendous character designs of previous games. Their concept art is always great but suffers in the translation to 3D.

Why did they get rid of all the post processing effects that made the VGA trailer (and the likes of Gears/KZ2) look great? And gave Reach a darker, grittier feel that Bungie is supposed to be going for.

Also keep in mind that all the screens we've seen so far have been supersampled and we have yet to see the jaggies that completely ruined Halo 3's visuals. Besides a measly resolution boost they haven't even been able to fix this like they said they would.

I have just gotten my hands on Assassin Creed 1 for the first time and am shocked at how incredible it looks nearly 3 years on, incredible lighting, vast environments, loads of characters, incredible texturing on buildings and all with 2xMSAA.

Halo 3 came out the same time, was a platform exclusive and does not look anywhere
as good as AC1 and unlike KZ2, Gears, COD etc AC1 does have huge, open environments so it's a fair comparison.

I

And I don't think anyone can say the gun models are comparable to KZ2, MW2 perhaps, but KZ2's guns are photorealistic, the shader detail is incredible, Reach guns look plastic by comparison.
I'll disagree with you there. They both look a little too plastic/rubbery. That was my one complaint with the visuals in KZ2. Near everything has a matte finish.

I'll disagree with you there. They both look a little too plastic/rubbery. That was my one complaint with the visuals in KZ2. Near everything has a matte finish.

Hey guns made out of composites are the future games predicted it.:LOL:

Dam have to wait 16 hours for the GtTv Reach special.:devilish:

I dunno, I feel the opposite, I was thrilled with how it looked in the VGA trailer but increasingly it's looking more and more like Halo 3.5 - ie. a graphical evolution rather than the drastic improvement a 'new' engine would suggest.

And I don't think anyone can say the gun models are comparable to KZ2, MW2 perhaps, but KZ2's guns are photorealistic, the shader detail is incredible, Reach guns look plastic by comparison. I'm not sure whether the graphical shortcomings are due to the quality of Bungie's artists or the engine. I'm inclined to say the former due to the horrendous character designs of previous games. Their concept art is always great but suffers in the translation to 3D.

Why did they get rid of all the post processing effects that made the VGA trailer (and the likes of Gears/KZ2) look great? And gave Reach a darker, grittier feel that Bungie is supposed to be going for.

Also keep in mind that all the screens we've seen so far have been supersampled and we have yet to see the jaggies that completely ruined Halo 3's visuals. Besides a measly resolution boost they haven't even been able to fix this like they said they would.

I have just gotten my hands on Assassin Creed 1 for the first time and am shocked at how incredible it looks nearly 3 years on, incredible lighting, vast environments, loads of characters, incredible texturing on buildings and all with 2xMSAA.

Halo 3 came out the same time, was a platform exclusive and does not look anywhere
as good as AC1 and unlike KZ2, Gears, COD etc AC1 does have huge, open environments so it's a fair comparison.

I

Nice opinion but what your stating isn't a fact and your jumping to wild conclusions by stating that Halo Reach's graphics is only an evolution and not a big step forward.I respectfully disagree on that because if you saw the character model comparisons between Halo 3 and Reach in Game Informer, the Reach models looked way better then their H3 counterparts by far.Not only that, but the AR in Reach has more polygons then an entire Marine does from Halo 3.

If you take a look at the recent weapon renders for Reach, you will see that the Covenant weapon models in particular, look better then anything found in KZ2.Lastly, Halo definitely doesn't have "horrendous" character designs as I disagree with you on that as well..

Bungie Weekly Update

For example, in current builds there’s a subtle application of Ambient Occlusion being layered into the scene that adds a nice touch of depth into each map’s nooks and crannies, but it’s not something that made the grade in time for the Beta or for our recent batch of screenshots.

Matchmaking makes the grade, obviously. And sure, if you have some guests over at your place and you want to rock some split screen action, we’re more than happy to oblige. Four players per box over Xbox LIVE, just like in Halo 3, except for Generator Defense, which is confined to two players on one system for reasons we’ll discuss in detail below.

And, of course, once you’ve capped off your first few games, you should feel free to head into the Theater to save off your favorite Saved Films and Screenshots. We’ll have some space reserved for you in your Bungie.net profile so you can show them off. And, as we’ve already noted, you won’t even have to fire up your web browser to tag your content and search for the sweet Beta stuff other players submit. It’s now all implemented right into the game’s menus.

GameTrailers just showed some footage of the multiplayer beta on their weekly TV show with Geoff Keighley. I only have regular cable so I can't speak much to the overall image quality, but the animations looked absolutely fantastic throughout. One that stood out in particular was an Elite assassination animation in which the Elite drove his energy sword through a downed Spartan. It looked very smooth, unlike the often janky and awkward animation found in Halo 3/ODST. Movement was fantastic as well, with the Elites and Spartans each having their own distinctive walking patterns. I am actually surprised at how much the change in animation made contributes to the overall look and feel of the game. It really gives it a sense of personalty and character that seems distinctly Halo, and overall I think it was smart for Bungie to invest in this tech.

Animation looks without a doubt to be the biggest area of leap over previous Halo titles. It stood out to me in the debut VGA trailer, and it's the same in the new footage that was on GTTV tonight.

Nice opinion but what your stating isn't a fact and your jumping to wild conclusions by stating that Halo Reach's graphics is only an evolution and not a big step forward.I respectfully disagree on that because if you saw the character model comparisons between Halo 3 and Reach in Game Informer, the Reach models looked way better then their H3 counterparts by far.Not only that, but the AR in Reach has more polygons then an entire Marine does from Halo 3.

If you take a look at the recent weapon renders for Reach, you will see that the Covenant weapon models in particular, look better then anything found in KZ2.Lastly, Halo definitely doesn't have "horrendous" character designs as I disagree with you on that as well..

I agree that the new gun and character models look much better in Halo Reach, I meant to say that Bungie's artists aren't as good as some of the other AAA studios, ie. Epic, GG, ND etc because of their previous work on H3, which had embarassingly bad character models for all the human characters.

And the animations are much better, but Bungie is still playing catchup to the likes of KZ2 or Uncharted or even COD, most of the improvments from Halo 3 seem to bring the series where it should have always been as a AAA console exclusive, not ahead of the pack.

To guys who have HALO 3 MP better in their memory: it seemed to me in the vid that the textures are rather good, for instance the ground textures. Is this an improvement over HALO3?
I thought Halo 3 had great textures but it badly needed some filtering.
Regardless i think its an improvement nonetheless.

I thought Halo 3 had great textures but it badly needed some filtering.
Regardless i think its an improvement nonetheless.

In HALO3 SP yes, but I only played a few matches MP, so I don't know in MP.
But, I have to say that the textures (especially ground) impress me...

I'm close to pruning back the past page and a bit of posts as being OT comparison. A discussion about Bungie's artistic merits/shortcomings with refernce to other developers is valid, but we're close to falling into pointless flag-waving comparisons with all this KZ2 talk. Certainly the focus on gun-models alone is very narrow. A consideration of Bungie's standing in the visuals and design departments relative to other developers needs to be broad-picture, and not so microcosmic.

Watching GTTV newest footage of Reach it reminds me alot of KZ2.I dont know is that because of more gritty look,the buildings or lightning but it really looks amazing,i think people can stop now with whining over Reach visuals because i think when we see new footage of sp it will go down as one of finest looking fps this gen.

Thanks for the link.

Quality of vid is not so good...could this be the reason that there are a lot of shimmering edges?

To guys who have HALO 3 MP better in their memory: it seemed to me in the vid that the textures are rather good, for instance the ground textures. Is this an improvement over HALO3?

I play alot of Halo 3 mp and the ground textures look much better and so is the overall visual fidelity.The player movement looks to be more smoother as well..I can't wait to play the beta on my hdtv to really appreciate the graphical detail.Seems to me that the texture filtering has been improved.

I agree that the new gun and character models look much better in Halo Reach, I meant to say that Bungie's artists aren't as good as some of the other AAA studios, ie. Epic, GG, ND etc because of their previous work on H3, which had embarassingly bad character models for all the human characters.

And the animations are much better, but Bungie is still playing catchup to the likes of KZ2 or Uncharted or even COD, most of the improvments from Halo 3 seem to bring the series where it should have always been as a AAA console exclusive, not ahead of the pack.

I agree that the human character models were not nowhere near as good as it SHOULD have been.It seems to me that Bungie is very, very focused in the developmental process of Reach moreso then with Halo 3 by far.Perhaps my favorite aspect about Reach is the assasinations as it seems to be dynamic with air to air and air to ground assasinations.I also like how you can save someone from getting assasinated..

Back