Halo: Reach

In that new writeup in the post above, Bungie stresses that their rewards will be cosmetic only and not affect play at all (aka shiny customized armor that has no gameplay effect).

Cant say I actually agree with that. I've kind of come around to the idea that giving players mild (key probably being, mild) advantages for putting a lot of time in isn't so wrong. In a sense I think they've earned it.

I just kind of doubt players will get so excited over rewards that dont affect gameplay. There's a reason COD is so popular. It's WoW in a FPS, well, at least a little tiny bit.

OTOH integrating SP into the rewards system is great.

In that new writeup in the post above, Bungie stresses that their rewards will be cosmetic only and not affect play at all (aka shiny customized armor that has no gameplay effect).

Cant say I actually agree with that. I've kind of come around to the idea that giving players mild (key probably being, mild) advantages for putting a lot of time in isn't so wrong. In a sense I think they've earned it.

I just kind of doubt players will get so excited over rewards that dont affect gameplay. There's a reason COD is so popular. It's WoW in a FPS, well, at least a little tiny bit.

OTOH integrating SP into the rewards system is great.

I'm not sure what else they could do without messing with the core gameplay. For many, Halo gameplay is exciting enough, and adding cosmetic rewards and unique challenges on a daily/weekly basis for both multiplayer and single player is icing on the cake.

I like they whole armor customisation thing, I wouldn't like a COD style perk system to be implemented in Halo, a level playing field is definitely more important.

One thing though, is it just me or has the model detail and quality of the shaders been downgraded in the recent batch of screens/renders?

Halo-Reach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gamersyde.com/forum_halo_reach-8_32373_0_938667_en.html#938667

1. The FOV is 78 degrees in Reach, Halo 3 was about 60 degrees.
2. At the basic level, you move slower than the Chief (not including Sprint).
3. Jump heights are "a little more realistic." It's a little more grounded.
4. Lunge range is shorter than it was in Halo 3, but it's not really noticeable.
5. It takes two melees to kill a player: one to take down the shields, the other to kill.
6. You are not invulnerable when carrying out an assassination animation - you can still be killed.
7. Five headshots to kill someone with the DMR, five headshots to kill someone with the magnum. Differences between the guns are mainly rate of fire, accuracy, and range. The DMR fires more slowly but it can reach you from farther away. The range of the magnum "plays right outside ideally AR range": magnum a very skilled user can take down a guy with an AR.
8. Frags are more dangerous in Reach, they're more scattered on the map. Less grenade spam than in Halo 3. Larger blast radius.
9. As others have mentioned, you can shoot grenades and have them explode.
10. The grenade arc in Reach is different from Halo 3. It's not that much of a difference, but "you're going to have to relearn some stuff." If you're sprinting and you throw a grenade, you'll throw it farther.
11. Secondary fire on the grenade launcher
12. You "gotta be trying to hurt yourself" to receive fall damage in Reach. The stun is back if you hit the ground hard.
13. For health and shields, it'll take a longer time than in Halo 3 for them to recharge. Health also recharges, but it recharges "at thresholds." If you're about to die, your health is going to regenerate so that a single scratch is not going to kill you, but you'll still have to go out and search for health packs.
14. Health and shields on Elites and Spartans are different. Elites are larger, so they have more health and more shields. The time it takes to kill an Elite with the AR on the open battlefield is very close to that of a Spartan. It takes 6 DMR headshots to kill an Elite.
15. The beta will only feature on Spartan Spartan whereas the final product may feature on Elite Elite as well.
16. Player encounters in REACH will be longer than it was in Halo 3.
17. Almost everything that is coming back from Halo 3 has been tweaked in some way.
18. There have been changes made to the sword combat.
19. In regards to sandbox changes, there is no "uber weapon." There is no particular load-out that dominates all the rest.
20. As I suspected, there are no Spikers or SMGs in Reach.
21. Aim Assist is on a "for weapon setting."
22. Sniper is "even more of a weapon for adults."

As I said at Gamersyde, I don't like the trend toward bullet sponges. And I don't think people who don't play MP saying they like it makes me any more comfortable. Taking the skill out of the pre-encounter tactics worries me as sponges leads to more spray and pray fire fights as in other shooters. Sure, it is only a 1 shot difference from 3. But Ranged combat is important and one of the benefits of the BR and the like is you were very dangerous at distance. 4 shots on the BR (3 body, 1 head) meant you had to get someone in the open enough to ping them. 5 (and more if you (a) MISS one shot or (b) don't hit the head, so call it 6+ in many cases) just means I will walk into the open, take a couple good pings, and then move back to cover. I don't mind moving slower, but I don't like the move toward bullet sponges at all. For all its faults that is one great thing about MW1/2--if you know how to flank properly you can surprise, and suppress the enemy effectively. What they are saying is if you come up on more guys than you you best not do much unless you have an uber nade, sniper, etc. The BR was an excellent counter to the Rifle in Halo 3 as it took them out of scope and had large range. Not an instant kill but you could take down snipers. I guess the solution will be forcing players to work with you ... good luck with that! :LOL:

On the other hand I think the 2x melee versus 1x assassination makes for interesting choices and I like that you can be killed in an assassination.

The FOV is good news too.

Still no proof they fixed aliasing from Halo 3. Not saying they haven't done anything, but Halo 3 had some motion blur. Fingers cross for an analytical AA.

Meh. People are already bullet sponges in H3. Between lag and my piss poor aim, it sometimes takes a full BR clip to drop someone in a 1v1 fight.

But who knows, perhaps the slower movement speed and non-regenerating health will make it easier to finish 1v1 fights? I guess we'll know soon enough.

I have no problems with needing 1 more bullet from the DMR or any other powerul weapon to kill somebody.Im still going to use alot of strategy and tactics like I've always been doing.Also, I like how the fragmentation grenades have a larger blast and kill radius, similar to that of Halo CE and 2.The increased FOV is another welcomed addition as well.Besides that, its good to know that when your doing an assasination kill, your not invulnerable at all..

Lastly, to have good BR skills, you need to practice alot against players who already know how to BR effectively.Another thing that is important to out BR your opponent is copycat their strafing while their using the BR.It's a bit tricky to get used too but once you do, its going to make you difficult to kill since your mimicking they're strafing movements while firing head and bodyshots. =)

I would bet the time to take somebody down in Reach with the DMR would be the same, possibly even less than with the BR in Halo 3. It can easily take 5-6, because of the random spread. The randomness will be no more with a single-shot and hit-scan.

I'm sure it's limited to only a small portion of the weapons, but I like this.

For multiplayer matches, players will choose their capacities at the start (or their respawn) by selecting "Load-Out" specific. Each option Load-Out offers a couple weapon / ability to weave different.

Just saw this post from Bungie's Brian Jarrard.

The load-out options will vary depending on gametype but you'll never get to choose a power-weapon in a load-out unless it's some kind of niche game that warrants it (rockets, snipers, etc..). In matchmaking all the load-out offerings will be configured by Shishka and company to support the specific gametypes. My understanding is that you'll be able to configure your own load-out options for customs.

Covenant vehicles are particularly awesome, they've really amped up their modeling work. Despite the noticeable stylistic differences, technically it's as good as anything else I've seen from Epic for the 360.

Appropriately badass Elite is appropriately badass.

Nice to see a FOV increase. The previous games always felt weird to me, like I was a foot or two forward of the axis of rotation.

Back