Halo: Reach

It being 720P vertical this time should reduce aliasing some, no?

Also, it was mentioned at GAF, and I noticed too. one of the scenes seems to display a noticeably better level of graphical fidelity. This one. Any ideas?

I'm pretty psyched for the beta now, less than 9 weeks away! They are revealing a lot in the beta, I remember a interview with a Bungie guy where he almost seemed taken aback by how much he said they were going to reveal in the beta, like he almost felt it was too much.

Anyway it looks like Bungie will be launching a nice assault on IW in terms of multiplayer innovations and modes.

Didnt one of the devs said on neoGaf that the trailer is a compilation of various stages of the multiplayer alpha.

Must control hype level after seeing this trailer:oops:

I have a funny feeling you are gouing to be disappointed.

Im not going to be disappointed at all because Bungie did stated thay they are going to implement AA into Reach..Bungie knows people were disappointed that Halo 3 didn't have any AA whatsoever and are going to greatly improve on that.Do some research and find out for yourself..Google is your friend...

I posted the weekly update previously and it never said that AA would implemented, just "rest assured that Reach will be significantly improved in this department compared to Halo 3". The beta will tell all, but (((interference))) is probably right.

I posted the weekly update previously and it never said that AA would implemented, just "rest assured that Reach will be significantly improved in this department compared to Halo 3". The beta will tell all, but (((interference))) is probably right.

Glad their significantly improving that aspect..What are the chances of Bungie implementing some form of AA??

Glad their significantly improving that aspect..What are the chances of Bungie implementing some form of AA??

I'd say its very unlikely, especially if there's none in the Beta. I think Bungie have been pretty open with the video's they have released and I suggest the resolution and no AA we are seeing at the moment is what we will see in the final game.

I'd say its very unlikely, especially if there's none in the Beta. I think Bungie have been pretty open with the video's they have released and I suggest the resolution and no AA we are seeing at the moment is what we will see in the final game.

Yes, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

But they did say the footage was from the alpha build, is that the same as the one they were showing to journalists which dates back to last November/December or something?
So we can expect some visual upgrades since then? Or is the footage from their internal Alpha RC that they're currently playtesting?

But they really should have some form of AA, look at Alan Wake, somehow they've managed to squeeze 4xAA from the console while still having what are probably the best visuals on the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt even notice the jaggies when the movie was in motion so i dont really think i will in the beta. I wont have time to watch for jaggies need to collect my skulls with headshots.

More DoF and motion blur to hide jaggies would be my guess. I'm more concerned about AF. The lack of it really hurt Halo 3.

It being 720P vertical this time should reduce aliasing some, no?

Also, it was mentioned at GAF, and I noticed too. one of the scenes seems to display a noticeably better level of graphical fidelity. This one. Any ideas.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that scene (looks totally different from the rest of the footage).

Yes, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

But they did say the footage was from the alpha build, is that the same as the one they were showing to journalists which dates back to last November/December or something?
So we can expect some visual upgrades since then? Or is the footage from their internal Alpha RC that they're currently playtesting?

But they really should have some form of AA, look at Alan Wake, somehow they've managed to squeeze 4xAA from the console while still having what are probably the best visuals on the system.

November/December builds are pre-alpha, they reached alpha status in the beginning of the year, and now they are in internal beta.

Since they've got only 2 months until beta i think that most likely they will increase their assets quality (assuming its true they left that part for the very end), but i don't really expect new features on the render pipeline to be add this late...

Reach is looking really good...and this is coming from a Halo hater. I hoping for a good single player campaign with a good story.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that scene (looks totally different from the rest of the footage).

Just looks to me like that particular map is closer to completion than the others - it's mostly stuff like the foliage, etc that makes it look so much better, and that kind of thing is usually the last visual element to be added since it doesn't really affect the basic gameplay of the map.

Reach is looking pretty mighty overall, especially so next to Halo 3.

That's not hard lol! I love Halo, it is the only reason I have an Xbox of any flavour. But I found Halo 3 to be just such a let down it almost put me off. But Reach is looking to be a good game and I'm looking forward to it.

Just looks to me like that particular map is closer to completion than the others - it's mostly stuff like the foliage, etc that makes it look so much better, and that kind of thing is usually the last visual element to be added since it doesn't really affect the basic gameplay of the map.

That shot looks like the level we saw in the singleplayer vidoc.
Didn't bungie said something about first designing multiplayer maps then let the singleplayer team convert them into campaign sections.

Spartans vs Elite MP was a pretty obvious reveal, even I figured that out.

It's good that they re keeping the sides assymetric though, with different player models/abilities etc,
Much more fun that just having different skins like in H3.

I wonder what weapons the Elites will spawn with though, the best bet is probably plasma rifles and the plasma pistol. To balance the PR with the AR it seems like they've made the plasma bolts travel much quicker (as seen in the vid). Maybe they'll also bring the hit stun from Halo 1 back.

Though the PR in H3 was already more than a match for the AR. If anyone's tried using a PR against mainly AR wielders in smaller maps, they'd know this. As plasma fire eats shields, beatdowns are much faster with the PR, the melee is much quicker and theres no need to reload which means you can take on multiple opponents in succession. Hell, you can even kill people mid sword lunge with a PR.

As for the Plasma pistol it will probably be more useful as a tool than an actual weapon (which is a smart design choice). It's going to be very versatile in Reach, with overcharged shots able to disable vehicles and now even deal area of effect damage to shields which would make it a great support weapon and lend itself to team tactics.

Back