Halo: Reach

Doubt it. Even if the characters in Halo 3 were just 3000 polys, which I doubt, it would still yield 12k characters for Reach. It's probably the better use of normal maps that gives a more polygonally complex look.
Those Spartan models from the cinematic trailer are surely more than 12k, more like twice that? Perhaps I'm underestimating characters from Halo 3 and ODST though.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kco1sYXGwYE&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Spartan models from the cinematic trailer are surely more than 12k, more like twice that? Perhaps I'm underestimating characters from Halo 3 and ODST though.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kco1sYXGwYE&feature=related

halo 2 was about 5k, halo 3 about 7k, ODST 9 to 11k.

I speculated a while back that Reach was about 20 to 25k per-character (based on that trailer, the hi-rez character crops of the Spartans look a little more. )http://www.gamereactor.se/bild/?textid=20868&id=201489

for the main character it kinda depends on how much is and can be equipped, Ive heard things about changing armor and stuff. (adding more to the currently existing model = more geometry.)

I have installed the full game now. Running it on Win7 64 bit, runs smooth at 60 fps all along ! It does dosplay a message when I start the game that my PC has Ram below requirements, though I have 4gb :LOL: ! But it runs fine in Win7. Dunno about Vista, might be a driver issue.
Also chk out the screenshot thread in the PC section for some retro gaming goodness of HALO CE on highest settings possible. It looks pretty pretty good actually. Only the character textures are low res, but the environments seem to have procedural bump maps which look very high res. The game Rocks ! :cool:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1395276&postcount=1230
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1395277&postcount=1231

I'm going to attempt to install Halo CE into Win7 32 bit I have on this same laptop with Vista x64. And also Halo 2 is actually going through with the install on Win7 32, unlike Vista 64. Didn't try it yet on my desktop on Win7 64, but I'd rather have it on my laptop because the desktop is overkill and pulls probably about triple the power with my HDTV than my lappy with this 20 inch monitor. I'll probably install Halo CE onto Win7 32 bit as well. If all goes well, I may stick with 7 on the lappy, though I do like Vista 64 alot for most stuff, plus I still get to have a Windows Media Player toolbar without hacking unlike Win7. Of all the ****ing things, 7 doesn't have a proper built in WMA mini tool bar. What the hell were the MS programmers thinking? :mad:

Halo 1's Master Chief was around 2000 polygons, and they actually reduced that figure in Halo 2 as they implemented normal mapping.

hmmmmm, it's true that normal mapping works well on low poly cages, though if you look at Bungie's display of halo's evolution you can see how much of a jump halo 2 was from the original.http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Warthog_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Grunt_Comparisons.jpg
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Marine_Comparisons.jpg

so i can only imagine there was an increase for the main character too, 4 to 5k looks about right to me.

it would help for someone to get raw info off of the pc versions of the two titles....if any really want to be exact on the numbers.

Heh, like this quote...

“When I interviewed, I respectfully but honestly mentioned some of the things that I was disappointed with in Halo 3. After I got the job, they coincidentally talked about animation in the State of the Studio Address. They showed where we were at with Reach and almost all of those things I had brought up in the interview had already been addressed. I was like this is so -blam!- cool.”

Also pretty cool that they did seperate and individual mo-caps for each of the main characters so that each would have their own distinct movements.

Regards,
SB

A bit of tech discussion from the last batch of screens.

On the right of this screen, on the part of the building behind the two skirmishers you can see a sort of artifacting around the edges that look similar to the VISR mode outlines in ODST
halo-reach-screenshots-20100211025048603_640w.jpg

Please see Hi quality version here (see Al i'm not embedding large images any more)
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/Reach-m10_1stperson.jpg

Anyway a programmer posting at GAF thinks it is artifacting related to their new imposter system, which sounds really cool - i have always wanted to see an image based rendering system like this being used in games
From his post on GAF:
An impostor system renders geometry into a texture using a camera from the player viewpoint, and then just re-uses that texture instead of the full geometry until the player's view changes enough that the impostor is invalidated and has to be re-rendered.

I think that part of the building is being rendered into a texture as an impostor, which is pretty interesting if true since impostors are typically used for really distant geometry. Geometry that is close up changes perspective quickly therefore doesn't have much frame coherency and needs to be re-rendered often.

What do all you tech heads think?

Also I'm not sure whether the move back to hitscan is an entirely good thing, firstly won't it increase host advantage.
Secondly the lack of actual bullets will remove some of the brilliant nuances that emerge from H3's incredible physics system which is definitely one of its strengths.

These occurences are very subtle but they do make a difference (and cause some great stories), eg. the way sniper rifle shots can ricochet of walls and sometimes hit multiple victims.
I also remember watching one of the H3 Top 10 videos where a warthog gunner was trying to take out some guy on the top of one of the bases in Valhalla.
Anyway the guy ran back inside but some of the bullets from the chaingun hit one of the fusion coils at the top of the base and managed to topple it into the man cannon, sending it flying across the map and landing on some poor guy who was walking with a turret :smile:

From personal experience, one of the things that always impresses (and annoys me) is when playing infection (AR starts) and you are the zombie and u go in for the kill, I used to jump at my intended victim to close the gap quicker and try and throw off his aim and instead what i would find is that if he shot me while I was in the air his AR bullets would actually push me back due to the transfer of momentum, and I would die lol.

I'm sure others with more multiplayer experience (i mostly only play LAN/splitscreen) will have similar stories.

hopefully, this time we will be able to use the mounted guns while driving a warthog in sp mode.

Taking out the dual-JohnWayne-wielding is also a positive step toward more well-focused shooting mechanisms.

hopefully, this time we will be able to use the mounted guns while driving a warthog in sp mode.

I always find that annoyingly illusion breaking in games that have it, Crysis for example.

I much prefer Halo's method where you either find a marine to shoot the thing, or take your chances and have a marine drive the warthog :oops:.

Hopefully, they've had the marines take mandatory driver's ed. courses and that they are better at driving now. :D

Regards,
SB

If only that was true.:rolleyes:

Heck if they could get access to Halo Wars code, they could just adapt the pathfinding in that for vehicles. While it got seriously bogged down if you had say 10-20 warthogs grouped and going to the same location, it handled limited amounts well without too much vehicle collision or more importantly just randomly going off cliffs.

Additional bonus points if they made a button into a "go here" button similar to an RTS while you are manning a turret. Once that point is reached it proceeds with going to whatever the next checkpoint is unless you give it another "go here" direction (since you may be shooting at something in the sky and not able to give another waypoint to go to :D).

Is it going to happen? Not bloody likely, but I'd love to see something like that.

Regards,
SB

NEVER let a marine drive the warthog. Doing so means certain death. They are much better at manning the gun.

Taking out the dual-JohnWayne-wielding is also a positive step toward more well-focused shooting mechanisms.

Halo 3 Dual Wield seemed quite balanced to me, if not nerfed. I always prefer a gun + grenades over 2 weapons. The ranged combat is also the best I have seen in a console shooter. The option for dual wielding or nades creates a strong dynamic.

Halo 3 Dual Wield seemed quite balanced to me, if not nerfed. I always prefer a gun + grenades over 2 weapons. The ranged combat is also the best I have seen in a console shooter. The option for dual wielding or nades creates a strong dynamic.

I agree, hardly anyone used it, you could surprise a lot of people by effectively using dual spikers or the PR/SMG or spiker uber combo (PR and mauler was also ridiculous).

The primary advantage of dual weilding over single wielding was that it was much better at taking down multiple opponents at a time. I'm sad to see it go, it added another layer of depth to the sandbox.

Also we seem to have part of an ingame screenshot, in the latest Bnet update:
reach1.jpg

There is still lots of aliasing due to the lack of AA. Can we get a res check to see if it matches the vidoc resolution?

They also said that the multiplayer maps are made as standalone designs like in previous games and then passed onto the campaign artists to be integrated into campaign levels. Which is good.

Back