Halo: Reach

Did they said 3 or 4 millions more polygons than halo3 ?

I understood that as 3-4 times the poly count in halo 3 and just assumed Halo 3 had incredibly low poly counts for a 360 game (Which kinda does) :p

The 4 million polygon comment came from X10.

The game is pushing about four million polygons more than Halo 3 overall, we were told, with a completely re-written animation system and A.I. The result, Bungie hopes, will be a much more realistic world to look at and be involved with. From the stills and footage we saw, it's on track to deliver -- the game looks phenomenal. It promises to sound great, too, as every sound effect has been re-recorded.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/11/x10-halo-reach-demoed-will-be-the-definitive-halo/

Did they said 3 or 4 millions more polygons than halo3 ?

I understood that as 3-4 times the poly count in halo 3 and just assumed Halo 3 had incredibly low poly counts for a 360 game (Which kinda does) :p

Halo 3 was suppose to come out on the xbox i heard, and im sure about when i look at the change of the marines in the trilogy the jump from 2 to 3 isn't that impressive imo when comparing 3 to Reach.

Here's the comparison
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/cutouts/Marine_Comparisons.jpg

Has Bungie ever mentioned how many poly's per character/gun they are pushing exactly, and if not are we able to give a ruff estimate based on what they have mentioned over the increase between Halo 3 and Reach?

IIRC 20-30k polys per character*.

*Dunno if key characters only.

I'd still like more steps to confirm 1152, but it's definitely not 1280. I think the improvement to texture filtering alone is most important (setting aside the tech improvements they've discussed themselves).

I'd still like more steps to confirm 1152, but it's definitely not 1280. I think the improvement to texture filtering alone is most important (setting aside the tech improvements they've discussed themselves).

Do you think Reach's resolution will be a full 720p or a little less then that?

Bu....but the gun is sharp and the environ blurred ?
What exactly do u mean by camera motion blur though?
It is not blurring everything on screen, only stuff thats moving with respect to the camera.

That's what he means; camera motion blur is not particularly new. ;) Consider CMB as... any pixels with a velocity relative to the prior frame(s). It's a screen-space effect and quite a few games have used it since at least 2005. So in this case, the view weapon is essentially static or below "velocity" threshold whilst turning the camera view.

Halo 3 had something similar, albeit not as obvious. What is peculiar though (cannot be unseen so, spoilered)
is that the alpha foliage isn't being blurred at all, and it's rather noticeable to me. It implies the MB being done before the alpha pass, and perhaps lending further credence to a deferred lighting setup..:p

Ya ! I got that ! So , basically he is cribbibg that it is not object based.
But, still, it does look good ;) ! As long I get a smooth impression of motion, MB works for me.

If I start nitpicking I can say that KZ2 looks better and has better tech behind it, but that defies the whole purpose. What matters is whether what Reach is doing looks good or not .
I think it does, its not the best, but it is good.

I want to believe ... do you have some links to non-bullshots to confirm? (Laptop dead, on a netbook so no viddoc viewing...)

I have three shots in the Console tech forum (one for 720, one for 1152, and one on texture filtering) in the unreleased games thread. It really ought to be discussed there. ;)

I have three shots in the Console tech forum (one for 720, one for 1152, and one on texture filtering) in the unreleased games thread. It really ought to be discussed there. ;)

I was referring to the texture filtering. Thanks for sending me on a bunny chase as I didn't see any posts on that there other than you claim :devilish: To quote Laa-Yosh's response to your same wild claim mister: Don't make a fan a promise you can not keep! Or to go all Jerry McGuire on you: "Show me the texture filtering!" :p

Well, you can see the ground filtering is a lot better than Halo 3... It's something you need to see in motion anyway. Feel free to go frame by frame like I did with the gameplay segments. ;)

Well, you can see the ground filtering is a lot better than Halo 3... It's something you need to see in motion anyway. Feel free to go frame by frame like I did with the gameplay segments. ;)

It isn't often I hope someone cuts their eyes on sharp aliased edges while pixel counting :devilish:

Well hey, I'm on the forums after all.

<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>

;) Anyhoo... Wonder what other armour abilities they'll reveal... :s Sprinting and cloak are the kind of... "duh" things. Perhaps super duper strength? Super bunny hopping? enhanced armour? (sounds like another game with armour abilities...).

Would like it if the beta had Firefight 2.0, scarabs and vehicles. AI Marines or even being able to play as a marine would be interesting enough. They've already proven they can do proper AI scripting if you want to do a truncated, Aliens-esque, Ripley-drop to take out the "queen" and then hop back aboard the ship in H3.... as opposed to driving a mongoose/warthog off a cliff to land on a scarab or... the old-fashioned tank method or... disabling the scarab legs and boarding on-foot...

If they make the armor too flexible they can rename it Halo: Reach for Crysis. A Crysis style suit with Halo gunplay would be pretty nice actually.

;) Anyhoo... Wonder what other armour abilities they'll reveal... :s Sprinting and cloak are the kind of... "duh" things. Perhaps super duper strength? Super bunny hopping? enhanced armour? (sounds like another game with armour abilities...).

Overshield or bubble shield is another fairly obvious one. Radar jammer would have made sense, but it's been kinda rolled into the cloak (which sounds like a brilliant idea--pros + cons)

An armor ability that perhaps spread a couple of motion mines would be interesting (in a kind of automatic burst pattern). The next time you use the ability the old batch is disarmed. Not sure how it would be balanced. Either tripped only by vehicles (make 'em attach like the beta trip mine, and require a fair number of them to detonate to destroy a warthog at full health, say), or give a fair visual indicator necessitating that you place them in strategic locations, such as below foliage or around the entrance to a building, if they can be triggered by infantry.

Would like it if the beta had Firefight 2.0, scarabs and vehicles. AI Marines or even being able to play as a marine would be interesting enough. They've already proven they can do proper AI scripting if you want to do a truncated, Aliens-esque, Ripley-drop to take out the "queen" and then hop back aboard the ship in H3.... as opposed to driving a mongoose/warthog off a cliff to land on a scarab or... the old-fashioned tank method or... disabling the scarab legs and boarding on-foot...

That was the coolest thing I ever did in the level The Covenant: get on the hornet as a passenger and have the marine fly me over to the scarab. I took out the core, then was able to jump onto the Hornet as it came to pick me up. Sadly, wasn't able to take out the second one, IIRC. Heh.

With the way they've set up Reach as two forces at the very height of their military power, it would be cool to see some kind of super-scarab, say 3x the regular size in every dimension. Fly your team of 3+ coop buddies in on a Falcon whilst dodging several mounted anti-air guns, drop them off, give them air support as they work through. (Pie in the sky of course)

As for Firefight, I'm definitely with you on that, and if you're suggesting they have Scarabs in there (at least for the final game), then doubly so! :cool: Considering they've said there will be multiple modes in the beta, I suspect Firefight will be amongst them.

Overshield or bubble shield is another fairly obvious one.

Oh right... forgot about overshield... mmm...

That was the coolest thing I ever did in the level The Covenant: get on the hornet as a passenger and have the marine fly me over to the scarab. I took out the core, then was able to jump onto the Hornet as it came to pick me up. Sadly, wasn't able to take out the second one, IIRC. Heh.
Believe me, it's definitely doable to destroy both scarabs with the marine flying the hornet. It only took me two hours of determination on Legendary.

<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>

(For mostly a life span of 1-2min......... -_-)
With the way they've set up Reach as two forces at the very height of their military power, it would be cool to see some kind of super-scarab, say 3x the regular size in every dimension. Fly your team of 3+ coop buddies in on a Falcon whilst dodging several mounted anti-air guns, drop them off, give them air support as they work through. (Pie in the sky of course)
Or maybe 2+ "regular" scarabs ? ;) Would be epic... I have a feeling I'm setting myself up for disappoint on that end, but oh well. An upgraded Forge that could handle AI bot placements & their own objectives would be really cool.

Argh...

:p

Back