Halo: Reach

All we have to go by are the novels. Nothing in the novels mentions that. But Bungie isn't sticking strictly to the novels, so anything can happen I guess.

Ah... ok. Master Chief is up in orbit somewhere trying to destroy some navigation database that wasn't purged as per the Cole protocol. He's along with two other Spartan IIs, and they also meet Sgt. Johnson and that's how he got mixed up with the Halo stuff afterwards.

The rest of the Spartan IIs were sent to help ground forces protect the fusion powerplants that power the orbital MAC platforms.

Team Noble looks to be all Spartan IIIs except for Jorge (the big guy) and.. They've basically written themselves a big opening to use Spartan IIIs wherever because the program is supposed to be top-secret. And yada yada.

Maybe Bungie's designers and the executive producer and whoever calls the shots have other priorities than "trouncing other FPS" in this or that particular area? Or, to the contrary, if they really care about other FPSes, it's to make life even harder for them by making 40-NPC battles an expected thing?

One of the thing I don't get is that the engine can already handle large numbers of NPCs. Just play Firefight in ODST, at times they're easily 30+ enemies coming at you (someone should count using photomode).

This is Bungie's last Halo game right? I'm predicting that in the final few levels of the game, Mr Lone Wolf will turn out to be Master Chief.

The new screenshots show how much better the character models look, in particular the human marine featured in the screenshot holding a shotgun. Outside of that though everything looks very early and rough, with some textures looking like place holders for when the higher-res assets are complete. I also do not seen any improvement to the lighting system so I am guessing those features weren't enabled in this build. All in all, considering these screens are supposedly from pre-thanksgiving/pre-alpha and Halo: Reach at minimum looks just as good as Halo 3/ODST outside of the improvements they are bringing to the animation, A.I, etc which I think speaks positively to how the game will looks when it ships.

This is Bungie's last Halo game right? I'm predicting that in the final few levels of the game, Mr Lone Wolf will turn out to be Master Chief.

No, not possible. Lone Wolf is a Spartan 3, MC is a Spartan 2. And he has a completely different service tag, it's not like the UNSC doesn't know who their personell are - this isn't Batman.

Supposedly, grenade explosions will look pretty cool as well.

Okay, it's not much ;) but I have to give this to Bungie, the hard surface stuff (mostly the armor) looks at least as good as Gears of War.

Someone tell me right now where all the Hungarian references are coming from!

Jorge is born in Pálháza, Reach has moons called Csodaszarvas and Turul, ODST ad was filmed here in Hungary too... I like it, but what's the reason behind it all? :)
Bungie tend to do that, once they get fixated with a particular place, myth, history etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when I was blown away with the initial trailer? I take that back. I downloaded it from XBOX live in high definition and wasnt as impressed. It looks good, but not THAT good.
I probably liked Resistance 2's visuals more based on what I have seen so far.

They are as big, the environment in the first mission is huge. Sure you can't go drive around it but it's all rendered etc. The one when you're in the tank in the snow is also pretty big, and the underground levels too.
I think the "predictability" of very linear games with limited environment exploration enables the developers to design better looking environments because they know where to focus the resources and/or use "tricks".

Take that on an open-game and its getting harder. They must be out of this planet to design an open-world environment with such an advanced LOD system and allocation of resources in a manner that the game maintains that level of detail no matter where you stand and what you do during gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad Gears environments aren't nearly as big or open...
Personally I really prefer the detailed Gears level over the barren of Reach. If the technology isn't there to fulfill the vast battle field with amble details then they should drop it or scale it back a bit. I understand people respect Bungie's decision of going out of the comfort zone a bit but it doesn't neccessarily mean it's the best choice in delivering the best results.

Back