Halo: Reach

They should just use the FP16 target as the quality is already good enough for the mass and then with more rooms for other effects no? But if they can crank up everything by fine tuning it then by all mean, it'd be beautiful.

The problem there is that on 360 you can't do alpha blending with FP16 target. You can do 7e3 though.

The fanboys can say what they want, but I don't find these shots impressive at all ! :rolleyes:
They feel empty and devoid of character to me. A case of mixed identity. As if they didn't know what they wanted to achieve.

Agreed, far too empty, even if I try to imagine 40 AI characters into the scenery.
I hope E3's going to show a more advanced version...

The most I got out of it was the character modeling & lighting. The shot with the tuning fork dropship & the stealth attack on the elite show some promise with the atmosphere rendering, but... the environments are pretty boring so far.

Isn't there an Edge magazine article coming soon? Hopefully they got different and more interesting shots.

The problem there is that on 360 you can't do alpha blending with FP16 target. You can do 7e3 though.

While correct, alpha blend with deferred lighting (whether it be light pre-pass or a full on G-buffer etc) means that a separate rendering pass is necessary for alpha effects.

Doing some digging, it appears that MRTs have to all be the same bit-depth although the formats can be different. I gather it means for example... MRT0 = FP10, 32bpp, MRT1=RGBA8, 32bpp, MRT2= R16G16 etc... Anyways, too little to go on. :(

Leaked public beta boot-up... Murder mode?

Neato. Looks like the beta will be here soon.

Tommy McClain

I think the new screens look quite nice, not sure why all the hate. A massive upgrade from the low res GI shots on the web.

They do look a bit "strange", but also in a good way looking almost CG. Not that far off from the trailer now either. Certain areas/shots/models that have obviously been pointed out right away do look underwhelming, but others look very very good. One of the top graphics games out there now from these shots.

Leaked public beta boot-up... Murder mode?

Neato. Looks like the beta will be here soon.

Tommy McClain

I already read this is likely a fake. For one, I'm certain Halo is not going to include a "murder mode", imagine the angry parents. Terrible voice modulator too :) And of course he covers the screen when any footage would run.

Last edited by a moderator:
The images arent of good quality, but if thats any indication it is a far vry from what I expected when I saw the trailer

The visual improvement in these images is like Halo 3/ODST v1.5

The player/enemy models look significantly better, to me. The terrain looks pretty much the same. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

but if thats any indication it is a far vry from what I expected when I saw the trailer

The visual improvement in these images is like Halo 3/ODST v1.5
I have to agree. The change in character design is nice but I'm not that impressed by it technically.

Well, if there's a lot of stuff going on there at a steady framerate, i think those visuals are quite exciting.
I'm keeping my eye on this game.

The character models, lighting, and self shadowing are pretty impressive and pretty much match the target render as far as I can tell.

Will wait til we see more environments before making a determination on that. That said, I don't think there's any way in hell you're going to ever get high poly environments in a large scale game. Not going to ever happen (at least on this generation of consoles) so it'll be interesting to see what they can manage to pull off though.

Regards,
SB

To be honest, the trailer did not have much in the scenery either, save from some grass... But everything is way too empty. Let's hope it's just not done yet and Bungie does not plan to have such barren playgrounds...

According to Urk on NeoGAF:

Urk said:
The build we used for the current crop of assets was cooked pre-Thanksgiving. Lots of work's been done since then and there's plenty more on the horizon. Wish I could show off the build I was bopping around in today. Soon.

If that is the case, then its quite possible a lot of stuff has been added since then and maybe more will be added in the future. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the end.

According to Urk on NeoGAF:

If that is the case, then its quite possible a lot of stuff has been added since then and maybe more will be added in the future. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the end.

oh, that's good.

you know news travels fast. complaints are already in the forums of bungie's page. looks like bungie's going to address it. i frankly didn't see nothing wrong with the shots, i already know everything's still in the beginning stages. i mean the halo: reach trailer came out what, just a month ago?

so it's obvious the game is still has a long ways to go. (8 months i believe.)

Heh

With the events of Reach taking place before those of any other Halo, how are you explaining why we’ve never seen some of its enemies and weapons before?
Marcus Lehto One of the justifications is - and this is one of the things we had to play with - during Reach we have both military forces, the Covenant and UNSC - at the height of their powers. They are coming to Reach with everything they have and the assumption is that some of these things never made it off the planet. They were rendered extinct by the end of it. That’s one of the fictional wrappers we’re using.
http://www.edge-online.com/features/halo-reach-tales-of-the-fall

I agree with most people here that it looks a bit lifeless, but i like the new color palette and atmosphere. I found Halo always way too colorful in everything, so its nice to see that changed and the game is still far from finished.

Its just more serious and grown up.

Back