Epic Releases Free Version of Unreal Engine

You guys realize that the lighting in those new images is completely new as well? It's not like you just load up the same level and it magically gets nicer... All the lightmaps have to be recalculated too.

Though as I hear, LightMass is kinda easy to use and relatively fast, too.

Yeah the improvements are specific to that build of the engine. If you want to see that in UT3, I'm guessing Epic will have to release a hugeass patch and replaces a lot of the existing level and engine data. (that said, they have done a couple 400mb and 500mb "titan" patches:p)

Yeah the improvements are specific to that build of the engine. If you want to see that in UT3, I'm guessing Epic will have to release a hugeass patch and replaces a lot of the existing level and engine data. (that said, they have done a couple 400mb and 500mb "titan" patches:p)

All those examples are actually from UT3 maps, looks like they've done most of the work for it already and like you say the game's had huge content patches before anyway. With it being a Steamworks title distributing the patch is simple, so go on Epic, give us those goodies! :p

Even if its just those two maps that'll do for now, my favourite map is in those shots already anyway!

Found a very impressive example on the Epic forums here:

4093692330_2b92e8ca3a_o.jpg

4094202018_e13bfc4f20_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Epic Games now offers a new beta 2 of the Unreal Development Kit, an updated version of the toolset to create standalone Unreal-engine games. A number of bugs and other issues are cleared up in the new beta

Does anyone have an insight how this compares with the Unity engine (apart from licensing and target hardware)? Are there other comparable engines?

The actual engine is powerful, but the proprietary UnrealScipt seems rather limited to me. With Unity you at least have the option to code with C# and have IntelliSense support with Visual Studio. Much more appealing for a developer.

That prometheus thing was a fun little game. I could easily imagine paying 5 to 10 dollars for a game like that

Does anyone have an insight how this compares with the Unity engine (apart from licensing and target hardware)? Are there other comparable engines?

The actual engine is powerful, but the proprietary UnrealScipt seems rather limited to me. With Unity you at least have the option to code with C# and have IntelliSense support with Visual Studio. Much more appealing for a developer.

I'm not familiar with Unity, is that C# or a C#-like syntax? If the former, does Unity interface with .NET at all? How is the Class coverage?

As for UnrealScript, according to this it's integrated with Visual Studio and the language has a C++-like syntax.

I'm not familiar with Unity, is that C# or a C#-like syntax? If the former, does Unity interface with .NET at all? How is the Class coverage?

As for UnrealScript, according to this it's integrated with Visual Studio and the language has a C++-like syntax.

Yup, it's real C# on top of full .NET framework on Windows, or Mono with other platforms. You can also use JavaScript or a Python-variant called Boo and they all compile to CLI bytecode.

Yup, it's real C# on top of full .NET framework on Windows, or Mono with other platforms. You can also use JavaScript or a Python-variant called Boo and they all compile to CLI bytecode.

Very nice, thanks. I might give it a go.

Back