Formula 1 - 2010 Season

The trick is to drive there by car so you are there on thursday or early friday, live at the camping, and go home on monday morning. We had a 50m walk to get to the track from the tent last year. :)

Sure and you are the one paying for my drivers licence, car and camping spot + gear? The ticket alone was already more than expensive enough for me as a student.

The point is that such a large event should not have such bad transport. All the times I went to concerts and festivals in Holland there was alway extra transport within short walking distance available for those coming to the event. Which makes sense because you don't want a large amount of people to just hang around. But apparently things are different over in that non country.

Sure and you are the one paying for my drivers licence, car and camping spot + gear? The ticket alone was already more than expensive enough for me as a student.

The point is that such a large event should not have such bad transport. All the times I went to concerts and festivals in Holland there was alway extra transport within short walking distance available for those coming to the event. Which makes sense because you don't want a large amount of people to just hang around. But apparently things are different over in that non country.

I know what you mean, went to Silverstone a few years back and spent half the day queuing either to get in, or to get out.

As for the race, it's not often that a guy t bones another car on the straight during an attempted pass. I think Seb thinks Schumachers and Senna's force them out of the way approach is the way to go. That aggressive jink was too much. How about some finesse?

Vettel is not a stupid man, maybe he will now realise he has to learn how to do this properly? Maybe get help with mind management.

You are right that the transports are crap and they shouldn't be for a venue of that size and _prize_.
I can't agree with you more, the story was more or less the same when I was at the Fuji GP three years ago so I sort of know what you're talking about. There was a traffic jam which stopped the busses so we all had to walk the last couple of km to the track not to miss the start. After the race I had to wait in line for the bus back for over two hours and I wasn't back in Tokyo until some time after midnight.

James Allen has posted on his blog about how the sport may change in 2013 and a video with Cosworth's take on this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/09/f1-moves-towards-a-completely-new-formula-for-2013/

It is very interesting. 1.6 L turbo-charged engines with lots of energy recovery and ground effect skirts so that drag can be reduced, I think some posters here will welcome this because it is basically back to the 80s just with 21st century engineering, materials and ideas.

Yeah now only if they would also allow V8 and V12 engines that would be cool ;)

The way the scetch ou the new rules makes it look like a good thing so I wouldn't mind. Ofcourse the engines don't sound like much but hey as long as it makes a nice sound and please no ricer psssssst kind of turbo sounds. Fucking hate that sound. It's the sound of people with no taste whatsoever.

Though how happy is the FIA going to be with the ground effect returning? I mean, the past 16 years they basically did all they could and raise the cars and wings. If you compare the old cars with the modern ones you'd alsmost think they could do WRC with so much ground clearence. Also, if the ground effect returns does that also mean cars with bottom out a lot again? Because that might bring the awsome sparkling of the early 90's back. You wern't just watching a race, but a fireworks display at the same time. Though that will bring in a cost aspect again because I doubt Mr. undertray is going to be very happy being dragged over asphalt for 1.5 hours.

Nothing wrong with v6's as long as they get rid of the turbo's make the engine size 10litres and limit revs to 4000rpm so we get a deep bass rumble ;)

James Allen has posted on his blog about how the sport may change in 2013 and a video with Cosworth's take on this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/09/f1-moves-towards-a-completely-new-formula-for-2013/

It is very interesting. 1.6 L turbo-charged engines with lots of energy recovery and ground effect skirts so that drag can be reduced, I think some posters here will welcome this because it is basically back to the 80s just with 21st century engineering, materials and ideas.

Good news, I'm excited at the prospect of renewed focus on ground effect and reduced focus on Aero. It should, as the article indicates, allow for more overtake chances as your downforce won't bleed off drastically as you enter the wake of the car ahead of you. I could care less about the fuel efficiency benefits. :D This should also provide for a greater influence of driver skill, at least with regards to overtaking. Even with an inferior car, a good driver will have more opportunities for overtaking.

I'm assuming that their energy reclamation will be used to power limited duration electronic boost modules? Not sure how I feel about this one. Could be good or bad.

Either way, these changes might actually convince me to start watching F1 as much as I did prior to Senna's death.

Regards,
SB

Limit boost sucks I think. I won't help racing one bit as everybody pushes the button at the same time. We've seen it with KERS already that KERS vs KERS just equals things out again. It would be far more interresting to allow as much boost as they can get from the systems. This way you also atleast get some truth from the whole hybrid/green F1 bullcrap because now you are really doing your best to get as much energy you can from energy that otherwise might be lost. That is the only way I think such a system should belong in F1. If its essentially just push to pass and for PR reasons that they might as well not waste all the millions on developing such systems that IMHO belong much more in endurance racing than open wheel racing anyway.

You sure they are going to use a in line engine? Because there hasn't been a in line engine in F1 for decades because I think it gets too heavy because of the long crankshaft. Also V engines are very ridget and good for intergrating into the chassis. Don't know how this works for in line engines.

I don't know, I just read it somewhere.

Anyway, Cowboyashi is being retained by Sauber for 2011. I think he has improved well and he has had some stunning drives as of late. He's getting back to the form we saw in his first two races.

We've seen it with KERS already that KERS vs KERS just equals things out again. It would be far more interresting to allow as much boost as they can get from the systems.

I agree.

Standardize the regeneration/drive components and let each team decide how big a battery pack they want to use. A bigger battery gives a bigger boost capacity and better fuel efficiency, but also adds weight. Let the minimum dry weight of the car be measured without the battery pack.

The added weight would be partly offset by a lighter fuel load at the beginning of a race. Different strategy choices would then mix things up towards the end of a race when fuel loads are low.

Cheers

I'm not sure if that is the way to go. Especially with a standard pack everybody will be using +/- the same amount of batteries I think. Even more if you assume engine capabilities will be close to each other. Now I'm not sure how the power to weigh ratio of batteries is but I'm quite sure teams rather not carry around too much of something. If you can manage the 20% boost on the whole lap and keep the weight down it will be great but with only 1 unit everybody will end up with the same more or less. So I'd like to see more than just 1 system and than just allow teams to try and get as much power as they can out of it.

Not sure why anything in the KERS should be standardised to be honest. The more freedom there is the more likely the engineers will come up with something that might be remotely useful in production cars.

Likewise with engine characteristics, too many prescriptive rules make for less relevant innovation IMO. Just tell the teams they have X kilos of fuel to get a car round Y laps of the track and be done with it.

So Ferrari haven't been punished more for Hockenheim and the FIA has told the Sporting Working Group to review the team order rule after the season.

One the one hand, I'm ok with it because I think the rule is unenforceable, but on the other hand I don't want something like what happened in Austria 2002 to happen again. I don't think Hockenheim 2010 was comparable, not because I am an Alonso fan, but because Massa hadn't lead all weekend like Barrichello had done in Austria.

Back